Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 144 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  3. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    “IMO Technologically they are light years ahead of Ferrari”

I respectfully but emphatically disagree with this comment. The tech in the SF90 is far more advanced than even what’s in the Speedtail, yet it is a quarter of the price. The SF90 is a display financial muscle and technical prowess by Ferrari. It’s a tech Tour de Force

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    #3579 Ale55andr0, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020

yes, especially in the design and construction of their award-winning home-made powertrains in the famous mclaren foundries:rolleyes:

...and in the construction of the frames (ah no, they're build from cpc group, Modena... ITALY!!! :D)
    :p

5. Sonny812

Sonny812 Rookie

Aug 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sonny sankary
    With English subtitles

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In a time that everyone says the special editions are no longer special, there are too many, I find the notion that there might not be a special edition of a car refreshing. Ferrari said they want to surprise their clients. This would be very interesting and I would welcome it. My opinion is the SF90 is already special, and if you want it a bit more hard core, you can have it. I think its all too easy to ignore the headline- its not the 30kg lower weight or extra CF bits- for me the headline is the MultiMatic suspension. I can’t believe it doesn’t bring a suitable improvement in sportiness and handling. I can’t wait to try it! I am so encouraged by the videos that show a lively car. One video the presenter is excited the whole time when he is putting down the power. My own personal belief is the Assetto Fiorano is the special edition, but only time will tell us. I think Ferrari made a masterpiece here. Sure its a bit more weighty than without the e-bits, but its a street car and I think they can do some real magic with hiding the feeling of the weight. I also think the future will involve some electric bits and the time is appropriate to show how you can add these elements and offer something new, but with a very familiar appeal. If you want a more lightweight Ferrari, there are models you can go get right now. Time will tell if I am correct or wrong.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    there is an Italian review of the SF90 by AM where he introduces the car in front of the farm house. He goes around the car and it is raining lightly. Makes no difference as he is very excited about the details. Later in the sunshine he takes the car up in the hills and is racing and sliding effortlessly around corners. Later still at Fiorano he can barely keep up with one of the wrapped prototype SF90 cars. 9700km already on the press car yet it looked brand new. The journalist was certainly enjoying his work that day! Inside at least the SF90 sounded fine...

jpalmito, Caeruleus11 and Ale55andr0 like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Here >

F140C and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Not the real sound inside...

of2worlds likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Then maybe they should just pipe in Matt Monro 'On Days Like These' and leave a fresh pack of cigarettes on the console with every delivery...;)

12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    For sure :D

of2worlds likes this.
  13. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    It does seems to sound quite good from the inside. There’s a sweet spot in the middle of the rev range you can hear in the videos where it almost sounds like a Scud.

Still disappointing she’s so shy from the outside. Given they are piping all of that noise in from the engine itself, there’s definitely potential for the aftermarket solutions to turn her into a real screamer. Hopefully the plug and play solution that Novitec came up with for their F8 GPF delete works the same on the SF90.

Also still holding onto hope that the AF package will have a louder exhaust. I seem to remember that a light weight exhaust system is included with the AF package but haven’t seen/heard a video of one to confirm if it makes any aural difference.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure I follow you here. Let's break this down a bit.

While they have been manufacturing "normal" exotics for the past decade, they have been an R&D business in both the supercar and F1 world for decades. They had the know-how to build the 12C because of many years of R&D. It's not a miracle or that special, it's just what they do and have been honing for 30+ years. Now the sad part is that while they have managed to launch and sell a lot of cars in 10 years, they have done so based on an awful business model. They should have stopped and taken a moment to learn from Ferrari, because no exotic car manufacture has perfected the art of leaving the crowd wanting more, better than Ferrari. Keeping your product in demand is key and in this regard McLaren is in the dark ages still.

To say that McLaren is ahead in technology is simply untrue. Yes they use a CF tub, and? Ferrari does not do so because they can't, they don't do so for two very specific reasons. One is the simple fact that they have a huge investment in their aluminium foundry and processing plant. The other has to do with how the cars feel. Ferrari has come a long way using the alloy platform, and this far it competes perfectly fine with the CF as far as performance goes. For the time being, the 710 bhp Pista is handing the 790 bhp 720S its own rear end in every track test. Not sure I'd call that light years ahead. But the advantage of the alloy chassis has to do with the fact that the driver feels connected to it. I have found one issue to be consistent on every Mclaren I have driven, and that is a somewhat numb and dead feeling. Some suffer more than others, but generally they feel clinical and disconnected to me - the 650S being what I to this day consider the most boring and uninspiring exotic I have experienced. Making a CF car feel connected and exciting can be difficult, and as long as McLaren has not honed this skill, using a CF tub does not make you a leader.

When it comes to engines, not only is Ferrari creating and building their own, but they build turbo engines with a flair and responsiveness McLaren can only dream of. They are ligh years ahead in turbo lag, and their engines are outsourced. Again not what can be considered leading the pack.

Exterior design is very subjective. To me it's all the same design with too little variation. On top of that I find it quite ugly - the Senna is down right hideous.

Interior is bland to say the least. Again very clinical, and compared to the SF90 I fail to see how McLaren can be considered the leader - it's just different. If you prefer the McLaren interiors, more power to you. But I feel they have the grace and charm of a Nike trainer inside.

All in all to say McLaren is spearheading the Exotic car industry is simply not true - especially as they are currently going down in flames because of poor decisions. They have over-saturated their own market with cars not enough people want, and on top of that they have had many issues with both quality and customer care.

So here we are. Leaders? Not by a long shot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Again all opinion. And the this is just mine. Everyone has a different view and thats great. I would still prefer a 765LT to an SF90

Shadowfax likes this.
  16. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The weight will be the first factor when you re building a sportscar.
    Ferrai is actually buiding heavy tech luxury cars, no more sportscar, that as a fact !

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have you driven a Pista? No more sportscars? M'kay...

18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Yes, i ve done, including track at the Castellet.
    Good car, a little boring because too easy.
    Sound is such a disaster than it completely cut the experience !

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Easy? It has way too much understeer of course, so that makes it easy, sort of, I guess. If you set it up more neutral it quickly becomes a bit of a handful if you run it in ESC or CT OFF. As you know, one of the safety systems Ferrari now uses in these cars, is a power limiter that is directly proportional to the steering wheel angle. So both in Sport and Race it is fairly power limited when turning. But if you switch the systems off and especially if you get it set up properly, then it's anything but easy. As far as sound? I think it's great - a much more interesting sound with many more nuances to it than say a Speciale or Italia.

I think the issues with modern Ferraris such as the Pista does not lie in the weight or actual car, but rather in how conservative the factory actually set them up. Yes they give them toe out to make the steering feel fast and light, and they do odd things to make the throttle too sensitive and make gear changes jerky etc. but when really pushed, they are fairly conservative and safe. If a 4X8, VS or regular, goes into say a bit of an understeer slide and the driver panics thus applying the brakes, then the car just regain control and steers. But if you set it up neutral and does the same thing, like any neutral track or performance focused car it will instantly try to swap ends. What I'm getting at is that what might make the cars "easy", is something which can fairly easily be rectified to make for a better handling car. Imagine how different and aggressive a Pista with e.g a 44/56 weight balance and -2 degrees 40 mins front camber and 2 degrees 10 mins rear camber, combined with 0.75 degrees of toe out front per side would be? It would be one serious machine compared to the super tame stock setup - but it will also take some pretty serious skill to drive.

Of course cars have gotten heavier, but you also need to remember that tyres and suspension has become much better. Yes some older cars are lighter, but that does not mean they steer better all things considered. Let's take two cars that have roughly the same power, but where one is slightly heavier than the other. Porsche 981 GT4 and F355 B manual with magnesium wheels. The F355 is considered a very fun and engaging car to drive fast, but I'd say that the GT4 is even more engaging. Weight can be a huge factor, and so can too much power, but it really depends on the complete package. And to be fair, a wet Pista, F355 and GT4 weigh roughly the same - about 1450 kg with fuel but no driver. These are not numbers I'm guessing, these are numbers I've seen. This is pretty important if we are going to criticise a modern car for being too heavy. How heavy a car feels on track comes down to how it reacts and acts. The first car I even learned to drive on track eons ago was a 1987 911 3,2 with no rear seat and magnesium wheels. One thing I remember about that car besides it being huge fun, was that it felt heavy. It wasn't heavy compared to cars of the current era, but it sure felt much heavier behind the wheel. So many things in play when considering what makes a car feel heavy. If I want a car that actually feels light no matter what, give me a Radical SR3 or a Caterham 420R. Those are cars that feel properly light and nimble in a completely different way than any road going car Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, Alfa Romeo or Maserati has ever produced. Done right a 1600 kg car can feel much ilghter than a 1350 kg car, but none of them will ever feel like real lightweights. It's of course personal, but to me it becomes a moot point as the cars can be made to feel light and drive incredibly fast. I think the GT2RS MR is a great example of what can actually be done with a car that by some standards are still a heavy car.

To each their own. I find what's on offer very enjoyable:)

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, McLarens sound similar, so I'm afraid that the noise issue is a lost cause, modern cars won't sound like before.

But it's the way it is. The sound of non catalyzed carburettors disappeared too and life went on.

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    HA! Some people lost faith in Ferrari after they sold out to Fiat. It's all relative; depending on your perspective...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good discussion, I can see both of your viewpoints thank you for presenting different sides. Its all about what grabs your imagination.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

SVR and of2worlds like this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  24. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    TOTALLY AGREE

25. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    The word (WORST) isn't even enough, it's the poorest, the ugliest, the awfullest and even more!