Shelby GT350 (2016- ) | FerrariChat

Shelby GT350 (2016- )

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by tbuff, Jul 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I cannot find a consolidated thread on this anywhere.

Anyone not like these? Sell theirs due to reliability? I have been reading up on Mustang forums but appreciate the diverse opinions of Fchat.

Car seems to tick alot of boxes. My fear is that it would be too close to my 360 that i found slow. but has 130 more hp so maybe not?

Or just post pics of these beauties

2. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Mustang6g has the most information out there with GT350 specific forums

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/

I picked up a 2020 Twister orange over the winter, just now getting to drive it and break it in.

it’s an amazing car, the most refined mustang I’ve ever owned, and the 4th in my growing collection. (1993 cobra, 2000 cobra R, and 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca).

this car is ticking all the boxes, and every hundred miles I’m bumping up my shift points a little bit at a time. Remember, redline is 8500, the sweet spot to shift I’m told is 7900.

I did not get the optional heated and cooled seats, nor the big stereo, as I plan on tracking the car and preferred the manual recaros, which are still very comfortable, although a bit tight.

the only options I got were the handling package, and painted black roof. I’m not a stripes guy.

the steering and shock settings are adjustable, as is the exhaust with electric valves, quiet or loud with the flip of a switch.

the brakes are incredible, beyond good, they are the largest brake setup ever offered on a mustang.

the 6 speed Tremec and clutch is very smooth and precise, Much better than the MT82 trans in the previous generation cars like my Boss 302.

2016-18 had oil consumption issues, well documented, 2019-20 has some slight improvements more because of shared parts with the new GT500, which is a whole ‘nother animal and discussion.

ScreaminKaw, DIGMAN52 and Thecadster like this.
  3. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Thanks

Are the oil consumption issues cause for engine failure? Doesn't look to be a major issue. And no consumption issues on 2019s and up?

4. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    yes, oil consumption and not checking it frequently will cause motor failure.

IMO, the random sample of cars out there that have had this issue are the ones that get all the headlines, Making it seems like it’s a common problem, when in reality it’s a small amount.

for example, a friend of mine drove his 2017 car from Long Island NY to road America Wisconsin, did a two day open track event, and drove it home, without using a drop of oil or any other issues.

as for the 2019-20 cars, the oil issue seems to be fixed, but now there have been a few cases of cars dropping a valve in cylinder number 7 & 8, causing motor failure and replacement.

again, very few and far between, but if you google it, it seems worse than it really is in terms of number of cars built.

if you are looking at used, ask the Ford dealer to run an OASIS report, that is the vehicle service history.

one other note, for 2015-16, there were different models, the tech pack and the track pack.

Tech pack cars do NOT have oil, trans, or diff coolers. Track pack cars do.

For 2017 Ford made the track pack coolers standard on all GT350’s.

5. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Thanks

I am finding that dealing with Ford dealers very different than dealing with Fcar or Pcar dealers. Last guy I talked to wouldn't sell me a car over the phone, yet that's how I've bought my last 4 cars. Plus the car was already sold. WTF?

There is a heritage pack car at MSRP on order near me. Wondering if the 2020 is worth the premium? All other cars would be bought sight unseen but it would save me $20k and they would be used.

Interesting notes about the tech and track.

6. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    A 2020 Heritage edition at MSRP would be a good deal.
    Unique color, badging, production, etc.

plus 2020 is the last year for the GT350, next two years Ford will be doing the MACH 1.

Face76 likes this.
  7. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Mach one looks like a step..down? from GT350

and GT500 is way up.

8. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Correct .

Mach 1 will be a few steps above a regular GT, but below a 350, and way below a 500

it will be a mustang GT performance pack 2 with bits and pieces of the outgoing 350

9. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Have a deposit down on a 2016 tech package. white with blue stripes. 25k miles. Will add in extended warranty and saves me almost $40k cdn versus HEP.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Have an interesting GT350 observation. Mine has 4300 miles and I've owned it since new. Never been on the track (though I have driven other GT350s on the track). About 200 miles ago the engine, over the course of a few days, clearly "loosened" up. Freer revving, seemingly more power, definitely more playful. I recall from various car magazines 30K mile tests that most cars were faster at then end then the beginning, but I am surprised at how noticeable this change was.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  11. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Mine is getting delivered soon. has 25k miles. Got extended warranty just in case.

Cannot wait. How do you like the car?

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    It is extraordinary (as a background I have a track prepped E36 M3 and a 911C4S, and have had a handful of V8 Ferraris, Lotus Exige 240S, etc.). It is fun on the street but it just comes alive on the track. I compared it back to back with a 5.0GT PP2, and there was no comparison. I've said this elsewhere on this board before, but this car so punches above its weight class.

ScreaminKaw and Davesvt2000 like this.
  13. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Yeah ive seen your posts before. I am worried it will be too similar to my 360 6spd. Hoping it feels more modern than that

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    It's been a while since I had my 360s, but it is a very different feel. Whether it appeals or not is likely highly individual thing.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  15. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    HOLY hell.

got the car last night. Might be everything I have been searching for in a car.

less important:
    -comfy with cupholders
    -great infotainment

more important:
    -fits my two kids and wife, with very usable trunk
    -fliers under the radar - just a mustang

most important
    -handling is unbelievable and ride isn't harsh. flat through corners
    -steering is great feel and incredibly precise
    -brakes bite hard and can modulate them well. great feedback
    -4 more years of warranty
    -great presence.

off the charts
    -that engine note might be one of the best all time. rapidly responsive throttle

unbelievable car. it is somehow better than the reviews.

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Told ya! (And I'm thrilled for you--enjoy it.)

ScreaminKaw and Davesvt2000 like this.
  17. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    from Motor1.com :

"But while I'll miss 99% of the GT350, there are definitely some things I'm happy to see in the rearview mirror. Okay, so really, just one: tramlining. While Ford introduced some improvements to the suspension geometry for the 2020 GT350R (using lessons learned developing the GT500), this is still a car that wants to follow the shape of the road. I tackled the same roads in this car's supercharged sibling a few weeks prior – the GT350 was definitely more fun, but I constantly had to fight the car over even slightly deformed roads, which kept me from feeling confident enough to go faster.

True? Not true? No big deal? :)

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  19. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Tenney and BJK like this.
  20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Nice! :cool: That will be a keeper!
    Curious, did you have to 'know' somebody? have purchase history? or just walk in? Not limited production?
    MSRP?
    No doubt this livery will be available in the future on the GT500, right?

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Doubt we'll see it on the GT500 ... but who knows?

Didn't have to know anyone, just started calling a few "select" dealers :)

BJK likes this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I mean, why wouldn't they? $$$ :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  23. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    stop teasing me ...

:)

But Ford needs to squeeze another pedal into the new GT500, to bring me back ....

BJK likes this.