Buying a car in Italy | FerrariChat

Buying a car in Italy

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FlyingHaggisRacing, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Is there any one reading this with knowledge of buying cars in Italy ?

If they could advise on ...

1. How to verify the owner of a car ?

2. What documents prove someone is the owner ?

3. How to check that the car is not held by a bank, administrator etc...

4. What is the transfer of ownership process ?

5. What should one watch out for - rookie mistakes ?

2. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    Not an expert at buying cars in Italy, but regarding the car check I imagine U have an advantage being in Italy, as U can ask for full records directly from ferrari considering the car is in Italy, and supposing U R reffering to buying a ferrari.
    As for tracking the car's legal status, I suppose they have a sufficient system in europe generally to track that stuff easily I guess.
    All the best.
    Enjoy,,,

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I bought my 85 Countach QV from its original and only owner last year and shipped the car here to the US. Unlike here in the US the registration in Italy is also the title. Ask to see that and it will tell you who owns the car. Also verify that it matches the plates. Then, call a shipping company and ask them to walk you thru everything you need to get and confirm (I used CARS and was happy with them). Another thing that’s very important is where you plan on titling the car here in the US. Certain states require you to have the original Italian registration papers but the Italian DOT also requires the seller to return the original papers when he sells you the car, so you’ll have to work something out with the seller to get those papers. The only reason why I went through the tedious process is because I wanted that Countach enough time stick it out (color, model year, euro car heated car). If it’s all the same, find your car in the US and save yourself the headache and money.

Robb likes this.
  4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I bought my 550 in Italy. I would say that you need as many as possible of the following if you are a straniero buying an Italian car in Italy to export:
    - to buy from a reputable dealer or friend
    - time there to sort the documentation
    - knowledge of Italian or know and trust somebody who has
    - more time than you would imagine necessary
    - cojones

Is the car you intend to buy unique and only available there? If not, don't do it.

On the plus side, there's nowhere nicer to spend the evenings while you're trying to sort out your purchase, and the day's frustrations disappear over a fine al fresco meal and a bottle of Brunello. But they are still there at breakfast the next day, along with the disappointing bread rolls and the baffling and maddening paperwork. Be prepared for a lot of waiting around, unless buying from an excellent dealer.

Good luck!

randkin and Robb like this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Agreed. Unless the car is very unique and you can’t find it here in the US easily, don’t do it. The only reason why I put myself through the trouble is because I wanted a euro spec Countach QV.

6. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Well noted and understood.

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes. i bought my 512tr in rome from the main dealer, and he facilitated all of this.
    rossocorsa1 has some good advice to follow.

can you say where in italy it is located.....makes a difference as to the likelihood of fraud....

8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I have bought perhaps half a dozen cars over the past 25 years in Italy, without issue. I treat it just like anywhere else: pay close attention to every detail which is may be easier if you are in the legal profession like I am. I have experienced more attempted transaction fraud in my own country, Germany which many do not associate with a wild west image like Italy.

Italian paperwork is different and more complicated, and professional help like a "studio legale" to review documentation is important. But Italy is not a place to be afraid of, like some of the posts suggest, in my experience.