Repaired fuel hose on 330 GTC | FerrariChat

Repaired fuel hose on 330 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by JimEakin, Jul 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had a leak around the collar of the fuel hose at the fuel filter end of the hose from the filter to the carburetor fuel rail. I investigated a replacement hose (about $200 from Eurospares) or getting new hose and collars ($19 per inch - 9 inches - plus $50 for the required new, larger collars). Before ordering, I thought I would see what was entailed.

I disassembled the hose end; it unscrewed easily. Here's what the fittings look like:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Overall the hose appeared to be in good shape, with just the ragged end. (Note that the vibration of the engine will be tugging on the hose.)

I decided to rebuild the hose. I know there are issues with ethanol affecting the rubber, but I decided to give it a try.

I removed the gunk on the fitting using a wire wheel. I used a hack saw to cut off about 3/8" of the hose and put the collar back on. I put a generous amount of Permatex Aircraft Form-a-gasket #3 (80019) on the fitting and in the end of the hose. I let that dry for a few minutes. Then I screwed the fitting into the hose end up until it butted against the collar. Don't try to tighten it more as it will just strip the rubber inside the hose. I put the hose end in the vise protected by a rag and used a large mandrel through the opening to screw in the fitting.

I let it set for a couple of days. It now doesn't leak anymore. Even though the hose is slightly shorter, there is still some compliance in the hose for movement. I did buy new crush washers and put a little Permatex around them, too.

Here's the end result:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    How bad is the leak? Permetex makes a fuel grade anaerobic sealant. If the end of the hose isn't damaged, you might try putting things back together with the sealant. This has done it for me for slight weepings.

john

3. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That’s exactly what I did.