1983 308QV Stereo questions | FerrariChat

1983 308QV Stereo questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Luke Franks, Jul 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luke Franks

Luke Franks Rookie

Jun 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Newbie question here! I have a US spec 1983 308 here in Australia. The old Alpine stereo powers up but has no sound or output at all and we think that there may be a dead amplifier? Can anyone tell me where to find the amplifier location? Also there are two sections in the door trims that look like speaker grills, can anyone please confirm that there are door speakers in all cars? My car also has two small Alpine speakers mounted just behind the driver and passenger shoulders on the rear bulkhead. Replies much appreciated.

2. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    Not sure they came with stereo from the factory.
    I believe most installations were done by importers or dealers. My -85 Euro was delivered in Germany, I still have the original cover plate for the stereo cut out. My door speakers are Ferrari branded and are hidden behind the perforated door trims, no other speakers were provided from the factory to my knowledge.

3. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi, My 1985 308 had an Alpine stereo installed with amplifier. The amplifier was located on the passenger side footrest area where there is a removable panel. This is where the seat belt warning control unit and inside light delay relay unit are located.

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    It is correct that Stereo systems in 308s were not factory installations. Ferrari didn't start having factory installed radios in that series of cars until middle of the 355 run. Oddly, they had speakers and wiring but no head unit. Any radio install would be aftermarket and an Amp would be a maybe and placement would be at the discretion of the installer.

5. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Naa, the Mondial was first to come with a Radio/Cassette standard - Pioneer KE-4300.

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    512 BBs had a radio & EQ, but in the 3** series, it was the 355.