F430 Position Light Replacement | FerrariChat

F430 Position Light Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ray Smith, Jul 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I would like to replace the weak front position light H6W incandescent bulbs on my 2007 F430 with LED units. I am aware that just replacing the bulbs will generate a bulb-out warning on the instrument cluster (and set a code) and that a 50W 6-Ohm resister is required to fool the computer into thinking this is a normal H6W. Does anyone have a source for a kit that does NOT require soldering, but is a plug and play solution?

Thanks,

Ray Smith

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Use the search function at the top right of the page. There are inexpensive plug and play LEDs that fit fine. There is no "bulb out" indicator, so don't worry about that. I bought some LEDs on Ebay and swapped out the stock bulbs. Works fine. If you use the search function, you can find the threads with the various options for 430s.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Performed the recommended search. When I search on "Position lights" my post above shows up. Nothing on whether replacing a bulb with an LED sets a code. I have found kits including a resistor but that requires soldering.

This post seems promising https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-led-front-parking-lights.473751/ but he had to grind off part of the LED base. No indication in that thread of setting an error code.

I bought the Launch Tech USA X-431 Torque diagnostic tool. I can reset any code, but that's of little use if a code re-occurs. I ordered LEDs *similar* to the ones referenced in the link (it has been discontinued) supplied and two resister kits. However, all indications are that the 430 requires a higher resistance to fool the ECU into thinking there is a bulb installed and not an LED. My car is still under the 15-year power train warranty Smartand I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. I installed Stef's Smart F1 ECU module and am hoping that doesn't void the warranty.

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    As I stated previously, there is no light control sensors on the 430 series. You will never get a "bulb out" warning, because there is no such system on the 430.
    "position light" is your term, the more commonly used term is "parking lights".

whatheheck likes this.
  6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I looked back at that thread and I posted in it the LEDs I purchased that did not require modification to install. They are very bright and seen even in daylight. Probably not as nice as the LED strips, but the bulbs were super easy to install and inexpensive: From Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-White-BAX9S-H6W-5-COB-LED-7-5W-Non-Polar-Light-Bulb-Lamp-AC-DC-12-24V-K201/231213630498?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They have been in my car for over two years with no issues...no "bulb out" warning ;)
    Due to the sometimes sketchy reliability with LEDs from China, I bought a spare set, but have not needed them. In fact Ray, you can have my spare set for free, just private message me your address and I can mail them out to you on Saturday. Regards, Dave

NMNMNMN, Daryl Zernick and Ray Smith like this.
  7. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks Dave! I should know better, but how do I DM you?

8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

9. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I started a "private conversation" i hope that's a DM...

f355spider likes this.
  10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Well, I attempted to install the LEDs Dave sent me (thanks Dave!) and followed the owner's manual for doing it. Everything was going swimmingly until I attempted to reinsert the bulb holder with the new LED. At some point the new LED slipped out of the bulb holder and disappeared into the bowls of the front end, never to be seen again. I removed the wheel, and the panels with the vents to get better sight-lines to look for the wandering LED. No joy. I needed a camera on a long tether like the archeologists use but unfortunately I don't have one. So I reinserted the old H6W and buttoned everything back up and re-mounted the wheel and tire (which is surprisingly heavier than my Z06 wheels). I guess I will drive the car and listen for a rattle and then re-remove everything and search again.

One thing I noticed was that the car had that panel removed previously. The telltale was five of the six screws are Phillips head. The sixth is a 4mm metric hex head screw. Mechanics do things like that when they lose a screw. This one put a bunch of Locktite on it because it's probably not the right size. I'm reasonably certain the mechanic at Ferrari of Newport Beach is the culprit, since the car was serviced there exclusively. In addition to their reluctance to provide me with the service history, I'm beginning to wonder what else they have concealed.

Stay tuned.

Ray

Qavion likes this.
  11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sorry to hear Ray, I would just proceed with buying a couple more from the Ebay link above and move on. I would not worry too much about retrieval, I doubt it will make a noise or hurt anything. I have found stones, washers, a bearing ball, and a lock nut, in various nooks and crannies on my car. Whether they are from manufacturing or service, who knows? ;)

Only problem is everything from HK and China takes a month or more to get here...used to only take 10 to 14 days.

12. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks to Amazon Prime I bought two different types of LEDs which should arrive today. At least I broke my cherry with the car. Until you start taking it apart in secret you really are not one with the vehicle. And, being anal, I took the opportunity to clean everything I came into contact with. I may attempt to use the remaining LED as a dome lamp...stay tuned to cable news for breaking news of an Orange County man being electrocuted by his dome light...:)

If you ever travel down here look me up...we'll socially distance over a snifter of Courvoisier.

Ray

f355spider likes this.
  13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Cool Ray, after you install them, if they work out well, please post the link.
    The ones I posted from Ebay have two specific qualities that allow them to work well. One was a pretty high amount of lumens (brightness), the other was they have a lens in the tip, that directs light right into the "tube" that transmits the light through the headlight. Good luck my friend!

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Well I finally got the camera I needed to find the missing LED.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIFSSUG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The occasion for its use was when I started to install Stef's Scud Ing DRL kit. I had trouble feeding the LED strip into the the light "tunnel". I ran the camera into the light tunnel and lo and behold, the thing blocking the insertion of the LED strip was the wayward LED. It took the better part of four hours to retrieve the LED but I eventually was able to move it and clear the way for the LED strip and install the DRLs and the Smart DRL Controller that turns them on when the engine starts. They also dim with a fade-out effect when the turn signals go on, and/or when the low beams are activated. When the turn signal goes off, the DRLs fade back in to full illumination. And man are they bright.

I also replaced my Basic Smart F1 relay with the Advanced version. I left the default configuration in place, which basically warns when things are stating to go south so you can get the F1 pump serviced. Otherwise, it is silent.There are two additional Scud Ing products I intend to purchase and install and at that point I will have every product he makes for an F430. This car is truly configured my way. With my Yellow tach face with the Scuderia font.

Stef's products are very, very good.

Ray

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  15. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    Thanks for this! One of mine just went out.

16. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Did you replace just the tach face?, ie remove the Rev needles, etc? If so was that tricky? I'd like to do same but am a bit weary to try