Coming full circle | FerrariChat

Coming full circle

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Carnut, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Almost five decades ago I got behind the wheel of my first 911 (a targa) and I was amazed at what the car could do with the engine in the rear. Since that first drive I have never been without at least one Porsche. Though never another Targa, until now. I have contacted my Porsche guy and he is on the lookout for a 4S or GTS (2017 on I am not a fan of alcantera so the GTS cannot have that). Of course it will not stay stock. I should also say that I think my time as a Ferrari owner is going to be coming to an end. As much as I have tried make them better for me I have never found them as purposeful as a Porsche. Before you burn me at the stake, remember I feel no emotional connection to a car and the only emotion I can feel while driving is fear, never been able to get that in a Ferrari. I did say I was done with Ferrari once before (have bought 5 since I said that), but the world has changed and I never want to be the old guy that drives his Ferrari up and down main street on a nice day. The whole idea of that I find very unappealing. I am not leaving the forum (this is my link to you normal folks and I have learned a great deal about how emotions effect your lives), since I do like reading your posts and trying to offer some wisdom that only someone with my experience with cars could have. I will post picks when I find the car, it is fitting that car number 485 should be Porsche #45

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Have to admit Porsche makes great cars. I loved driving the new Cayman. Yes, the one everybody hates because they have been told to hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

zygomatic likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I love my Porsches. I love my Ferraris. It helps that, in my case, they serve different purposes. The Porsches are sports cars-- they are for tight twisty roads or the track... I am fortunate to have the option of a very tight, twisty, no-traffic road as part of my commute, and the Porsches are wonderful for that.

The Ferraris are touring cars... they are fast, comfortable, V-12, and are best covering 1,000 miles in a day. Completely different.

It's funny, I am going to a track tomorrow that is about a 2 hour drive... I was telling my brother that the car I want to drive TO the track and the car I want to drive ON the track are different things. I think my Cayman S is actually the best compromise of reasonable to drive to the track and on it. The 612 would be the second choice, but even then it is happier on long tracks and not on shorter, tighter ones like the one we are going to.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had two Cayman's a PDK S and a gearshift regular, and they were both great drivers cars, though I would still take the 4C (which I am still going to get another of), over them.

5. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #5 Island Time, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    8 years old. staring out the back of a station wagon after being picked up from grammar school. Two cars back. A brand new 911. I will never forget that image.

Ferrari's feel as if they're made of glass.

Porsches feel as if the company doesn't give a **** how they feel. As long as they feel right.

A Porsche is a driver's car. Period.

jag-oo-r, Carnut, Wikdstrate and 2 others like this.
  6. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
  7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It did not take very long, it looks like it will be a nicely optioned (somewhat unique color combination) 2019. The car is in another part of the country so it may take a week t get to my local dealer.

Island Time, tomc and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
  9. jake23581

jake23581 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Yes I'll love a pink Porsche

Sent from my SM-A207F using Tapatalk

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well the transporter delivered the car to the Porsche dealer yesterday, and strange as it may be they also had a white targa just like my first Porsche so long ago. I said how much, they said not for sale. I said will see, I want that one too, and they are going to find me a 4C spider. Anyone want a 458 spider I have no purpose for it anymore. Time to take stuff apart again, and I am going to make the cabin in the 4C look like it should. An extra 30lbs of leather wont matter when the car has over 400hp. Ferrari's are nice, just not for someone like me.

VAF84, ronfrohock and Texas Forever like this.
  11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My brother is planning to get a 4C. He thought very seriously about a 458, and has driven several (he's a driving instructor at various track days, including the Ferrari ones, as well as an SCCA champ), but in the end he decided the 4C was more what he wanted.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Actually, they love the Cayman and hate the Boxster. Just look at the resale prices. Someone needs to tell them it's the same car.

13. robert344@verizon.net

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2015
    Full Name:
    robert
    If you are selling your 458 PM me with details ! Thanks.

jake23581 likes this.
  14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Robert I sent you a message. The 458 is still in my garage, but I have come to realize that think the 4C is a better choice for someone like me. Most of you will not understand that but I like taking things apart more than I actually like to drive. Truth is cars like the 458 are really boring unless pushed in a way that cannot happen on public roads. Remember I have no emotional attachment or feel any emotion when driving so that does not play into my decision abut a machines worth or capabilities.

jake23581, slm and Texas Forever like this.
  15. robert344@verizon.net

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2015
    Full Name:
    robert
    I am interested ! Send pix, miles, location, vin and price. Thanks

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al

Is that black , or blue , difficult to tell on the screen here. Would love to see more pics.

Congrats

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just curious. You don't get any kicks driving cars? As far as modifying new cars, how do you expect to do better than the factory engineers? Me, I love driving em. I put almost 1,000 miles on a Cayman GTS-PDK loaner in ten days. I still miss that car.

VAF84 likes this.
  18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The term better is not a term I use often, what I do is make them more suited for me. I don't get kicks (I assume you mean pleasure) from driving cars, what I do is make them as scary as possible so it takes all the skill I have just to keep them on the road. My SUV's and sedans are different but when it comes sports cars I need to feel fear in order for them to be what I want to drive. Take my 997S 650hp 2116lbs (over 500K invested in it), no nannies. It spent a year and a half completely apart, I have blown up multiple transmissions (and other stuff) and the other day it caught air while driving at well over 100mph and the front end came off the ground almost killed me. That is kicks to someone like me. Cars are machines, all machines can be made to perform better. I have no formal education but what I know comes from decades of rebuilding every type of car and trial and error and a boatload of money thrown in teaches you things corporate engineers would never even think of. They are building cars for the masses I am building things for a purpose, that is a very different thing entirely. Would my idea of better be any of yours, probably not, but I don't think my idea of many things would be the same as yours. I don't spend much time around people so, writing, inventing, hanging with my dogs, and learning new things is what I am comfortable with. Someday I will be too old for all this, but I intend to put off that day as long as possible.

VAF84, ronfrohock and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The 458 is now at Porsche of Warrington PA.

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The targa is Jet black Metallic. You ask about engineers and cars, you think that they are allowed to do what they want, no they are not. They are constrained by lawyers, accounting, and marketing. If they made the car great the first time, they would not have incremental changes during a model run. Take the 2004 Gallardo, it was a terrible car out of the factory felt like a pickup truck. I turned mine into RWD redid the suspension, the wheels, and added better aerodynamics, and then it was a car I could drive. Can you imagine a car company offering something I built for sale, half the owners would be either dead or at least destroyed their cars in a week. I have no formal education, but I have something the engineers do not the freedom (and a bizarre mind) to do what I want. I don't answer to anyone and I am not building something for every driver, I am building something for one driver, me!. So yes I can build something that works best for me, they cannot.

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    No - don't tell 'em!

Looking to pick up a used/early Boxster before too long & have a VERY tight acquisition budget. :p

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Good idea. I would pick up a 2005 987. The IMS bearing is replaceable, without taking the whole engine apart. The motor is more powerful, and potentially more reliable than the 986. They don't have the "fried egg" headlights. They don't yet have the electro-mechanical steering. And prices are low.

Texas Forever and David_S like this.
  23. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Two weekends ago I took a man who is fighting cancer out to the local race track to help him have some once-in-a- lifetime experiences "before it's too late."

At one point we were standing with my friends at their race shop there at the track, who specialize in Porsche, staring at a beautiful GT3RS that a customer was playing with at a D.E. that day.

I agreed with them all that yes, in fact, that car would hand me my a$$ in a hat, if racing my f430. (I'm a driving instructor for the PCA, and I find the Porsche to be much more suited to the track than the Ferrari.) The man with me was disappointed to hear me say this, because he's a die-hard Ferrari fanatic.

An hour later we both chuckled as we were on the interstate headed home and the very same GT3RS moved right to let us pass.... so he could take a picture of the F430 Spider as we went by.

The cars are very different. If you want the right car to go fast at the track with, there's little doubt that's the Porsche. The Ferrari is more emotional. As carnut has expressed this emotion is foreign to him, I find it unsurprising that the Ferrari isn't for him. This is difficult for me to relate to, as every car is emotional for me. (But I'm only on #78. Maybe the emotion runs out later?)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The ability to feel certain emotions for me at least was not a choice (this is how I was born) 78 cars was a good year for me. It is not about how many (I have been told I've forgotten what I've forgotten about cars at this point) cars, it is about what purpose I have for them. I spent the day yesterday detailing the Targa (it is already tuned, and has a throttle controller, my guess is that it is probably right around 500hp and around 430lb ft of torque. It is very civilized which is something I will probably end up doing my best to undo, but since I plan t use this thing all year round I may need to not get as crazy as I normally do. I will probably wait till fall to pick up another 4C (I have a few other projects not related to cars right now) I'd advise against a 4C with the larger wheel package, it will save your brother money (buying another set of wheels and tires) because the car handles so much better on 18/17's and I would not drive it any other way. Then again I'm me.

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting. I don’t suppose you’ve ever had any discussions with the factories about your changes?

Impressive you are doing your own work. I’ve never had the three T’s: Time, Tools, and Talent.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat