Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 71 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It means take a strong drink because you are most likely in for a lot of pain, both financially and mentally.

Ivan

MK1044, Froggie and Woods like this.
  2. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    A piece of advice: start by draining that 40 oil you have in there, and replace it with a good 15W-50, otherwise any measurement you take will be inaccurate. This will help do the troubleshooting in the correct order.

Oil pressure is created by resistance to flow. It is the same phenomenon as when you put your finger on the tip of your garden hose: water shoots out due to increased pressure, which is created by a resistance (your finger). Flow doesn't vary (faucet opening) but pressure does increase. Now, your engine oil pump is calibrated to flow at a particular rate, the exact number doesn't matter but think of it as liters or gallons of oil per minute (at a given RPM, this flow rate will increase with RPMs). This is a permanent spec of your oil pump. Now there are several things that will resist flow and create the pressure. One of these things is oil viscosity. The more an oil is viscous (higher grade), the more it will resist flow, thereby generating pressure. Another thing is the clearance between engine internals. Inside the engine, oil slides between various parts (camshafts and tappets, crankshaft and bearings, pistons and cylinders, etc.). The thinner the clearance between these parts, the harder it will be for oil to flow. Other things can cause pressure to go down: an oil filter imperfectly tightened, a leak somewhere, etc.

Now the normal pressure range, corresponding to the values I mentioned in my previous post (1.5 to 5 kg/cm2), results from the combined action of three different components: your oil pump, which has a determined flow rate by RPM, the oil grade (or viscosity), and the cumulative resistance of all the engine internals. If any of these things isn't working as it should, pressure will be impacted.

Now you need to find what exactly is causing your particular issue. If you have worn rod bearings, clearances will be higher than they should (by a fraction of millimeter) thereby opposing a slightly lower resistance to flow, and possibly causing mechanical damage to other parts. That's Negroni bad, and if this is what you have, you will need to investigate how bad it is to determine the best course of action. But for the moment, nothing tells us this is your problem and I'm inclined to think that it is not this, because you mentioned that you are running 5W-40 oil. This will definitely cause pressure to go down.

Start by putting in 10W-50 or 15W-50, then hook up a mechanical gauge. This is done by removing the electronic pressure sensor (right next to the oil filter) and screwing the gauge in that same hole. Do this with the engine not running of course, then start your engine and take two readings, one at idle, another one at 3000 rpm.

Edit: this is a good reading on the same topic: https://www.melling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/pressure-vs-flow.pdf

Woods likes this.
  3. Woods

Woods Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    New Mexico, USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Van Horn
    I have 4 big bottles of 15/50 on the way. Conveniently the car takes 2.64 gallons and the containers are 1.32 each. I'm not sure I thought 5/40, maybe that was for my other Quattroporte which is 2011. I now have the service manual, the regular manual, and the parts catalog, so I plan to make a better show of it going forward. This car didn't see much use, 22k miles, and mostly sat which can be bad in its own way. I had an Espada that sat for 14 years and Blew thick smoke for a few weeks and finally cleared up via Italian tune up method, at least this one doesn't do that! It's in pretty good shape, thankfully. I have seen some rough ones.

4. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sounds great, please keep us posted. I found this thread about a similar problem with the same engine and the person solved it with a 20W-50 oil: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/indy-4900-oil-pressure-problem.572989/ Also note that the car actually takes 11.5 to 12 liters of oil to reach the correct markers on the dipstick, this was reported by several owners and I confirm from my own experience.

On a separate note, I wanted to let you guys know that I found a very nice replacement for the front seat belts. Original seat belts usually no longer work properly, retractors get stuck, webbings get dirty, etc. I’m aware that even when doing an originality-focused restoration, modern seat belts are often considered acceptable. I was actually willing to install a modern replacement, but it’s not so easy to find a suitable one due to the particular configuration of the buckle.

For the most part, it’s a very ordinary 3-point system with retractor and anchor ring on the pillar. Webbing is black, which is most common. However, the buckle is rotated at a 90-degree angle relative to the mounting bracket, so that the buckle is parallel to the seat. In addition, the mounting bracket is horizontal, because it is bolted on the floor, but the cable is tilted 45 degrees relative to the horizontal plane. It’s a 9-inch black cable from the mounting point to the base of the buckle. If my description isn’t clear, the first pictures illustrates the original belt buckle. I'm also posting a photo with the label of my car's original belt.

I’ll spare you the details of my research but that’s definitely not an easy-to-find configuration.

However, I found that seat belts for Renault 14/Renault 18 meet these exact requirements, and R14s aren’t exactly a rare or exotic car. What’s more, I found a period-correct, brand new set of Klippan belts at the extortionate price of 110 euros for the pair (driver and passenger)! Klippan weren’t used by Maserati at the time, but if I’m not mistaken they were used by Ferrari as original equipment in vehicles of the same era. Their angular, yet elegant design makes them blend in perfectly in this car. Klippan is known for high quality and safety.

The exact reference is KLIPPAN 5003042. If you can’t find them online, send me a PM.

Original seat belt configuration
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Original seat belt label

Replacement - Brand new Klippan 5003042 for Renault 14/18

F456M and Woods like this.
  5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Very nice work on the Seatbelts! Also thank you for the parts number reference!
    Funny my 1972 Ghibli has Klippan seatbelts which I believe are original!

Mike

F456M likes this.
  6. Dave Burke

Dave Burke Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Allen Burke
    Hi Folks,

My '83 QPIII brake booster has given up the ghost. It is the Benditalia unit and the main diaphragm has split. I am looking to find a replacement part, rebuild kit, or failing that, a suitable replacement booster of another type. I would like to find something that mates up without my having to cut any metal. I also have gotten tired of giving my right leg the added workout of stopping the old girl!

Thanks!

fleetwing likes this.
  7. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    https://www.okp.de/xtc2/Lamborghini/45-Brakes/Brake-boosters/Brake-booster-Bonaldi-Maserati-Lamborghini::20164.html?language=en

???

8. Dave Burke

Dave Burke Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Allen Burke
  9. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    MrMark likes this.
  10. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA

Try [email protected], www.maseratinet.com. Good luck.

11. Dave Burke

Dave Burke Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Allen Burke
  12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Bendix part number for the diaphragm???

13. Dave Burke

Dave Burke Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Allen Burke
    Believe you me, they were one of the first that I contacted, and the master cylinder rebuild kit and master to booster seal arrived from them yesterday. Alas, they have none. So I am looking at rebuild services and am in contact with Apple Hydraulics to see what options they may have for me. I am quite keen to do this myself and if I could just find the diaphragm it would be an afternoon's chore. The breakdown of the booster is quite simple, and I was hoping that perhaps a diaphragm from another Bendix booster might work, seeing as how brake systems generally are not proprietary (why re-invent the wheel if you do not have to) but in this case it seems that I have run into a bit of a pickle!

14. Dave Burke

Dave Burke Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Allen Burke
    If I remember correctly it was B313671 LP (or B313761 LP) I scoured the interwebs last night and came up empty-handed.

15. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Have you tried Harmon Classic Brakes to see about parts?

16. Dave Burke

Dave Burke Rookie

Dec 1, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Allen Burke
    I sent them an e-mail, thanks very much for the suggestion! Worse comes to worst, they are pretty close to me in case I need to have the booster rebuilt. Otherwise I'll see if Apple can do it, or the guys out in Oregon. At the moment I am not in the greatest of hurries as I am chasing cancer on the hood and it will go to a body shop when that is done for the paint, but I love tooling around in that car. Next up is making some new suspension bushings and a couple of other sundry tasks. I also need to check the valve shims and timing chain tension. But she drives and rides really sweet and some friends and I took her to the Concours d'Elegance at Amelia Island in March and there are few cars I like more on a long road trip (my '57 Cadillac Sedan de Ville being one of them).

17. BobS.

BobS. Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Burbank, California
    Full Name:
    Bob Schmitt
    Hi -
    I joined FerrariChat more than a year ago on the advice of the former owner of my 1980 QP III. Also planned to advertise the car for sale. Not much luck here or eBay.
    I went ahead with rust repair (all metal) and paint, partly to help a friend with a shop when business was very slow.
    I just got the car back two days ago (Aug 31). I think all the work turned out well:
    http://1980maserati.com/
    I'll have better photos and a video soon. My ad from last year is still active - how can I delete and replace it?
    Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
    Bob S.
    Burbank

MrMark likes this.
  18. BobS.

BobS. Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Burbank, California
    Full Name:
    Bob Schmitt
  19. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi all,

This is just a quick post to serve as a reference.

The dimensions of driveshaft U-joints are 27 mm x 81.8 mm, widely available in all flavors incl. heavy duty, corresponding to ref. 330.17.81.00 in the parts manual ('82 supplement). There are 3 of them in total.

The grease seals for front wheel bearings are Timken/National 472164 corresponding to ref. ANT 93546 in the parts manual.

Also for those interested in suspensions work on this car, I recently posted a write-up on another thread: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147554541/

All the best

MrMark likes this.
  20. BobS.

BobS. Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Burbank, California
    Full Name:
    Bob Schmitt
    Hi all -
    Thanks for this useful reference!
    My Quattroporte III was re-painted recently. It is sheltered and covered, but I'd like recommendations for washing, waxing, quick detailing, etc. I've read reviews of the new ceramic-wax products and I'm open to hearing about any new paint experiences.
    Thanks!
    Bob

21. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Hi all, it appears this sub forum is for all things QPIII - it's always interesting to read the ups and down over the years with some cars and experiences. I used to be more active on this forum when I had a Mondial, but have taken an Italian car break for a few years. That ended last week when an original owner QPIII found it's way to me. Interesting car, it's very high miles for these with 110k miles, and is in pretty good shape considering, I almost feel it's a good thing - this car was driven. Original paint, all records from new, some of them big spends, and decades of small spends. I've been working through some issues with wiring, and am fully functional - except for the air conditioning and fuel gauge. Did plugs, changing the oil when my filter arrives, etc. The car really needs to be driven, but it reminds me of a 4 door Mondial. I'm sure I'll have questions for this group. I think I want to put H4 headlights in it, and need a armrest locking mechanism. But I think that's all of the parts I'm looking for.

Thanks, Neal

MK1044 and MrMark like this.
  22. BobS.

BobS. Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Burbank, California
    Full Name:
    Bob Schmitt
    Neal -
    Congratulations! "One comes and one goes!" My QP III was sold on eBay and was just picked up this morning. It's headed back to Honolulu, to a former QPIII owner who is friends with the former owner of (my) former car! And that long time owner, an exceptional mechanic, posted to this forum long ago. All about this QP III: http://1980maserati.com/

23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Neal,

Welcome to the Maserati corner of FChat. I see you are also in the Atlanta area , great to have another vintage Maserati in the area. I have several QPIII manuals available online ... parts, service, sales brochures, etc, that you may find useful.
    http://thecarnut.com/downloadmanuals.html
    Ivan

24. naccer

naccer Rookie

Feb 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Neal Caudle
    Hi Ivan, we actually spoke about your 430 a few months back, and thanks. I live in morningside, maybe we'll get to have Italian car day again this year! And your manuals have been very handy, This car has every record from new including the window sticker, however the previous owner said a shop took the manuals out, and never put them back in the car...so it only came with the US supplement.

25. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    #1775 Quattroporte3, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Neal - congrats on the new car! Wow that brings back memories, I'm starting to miss mine (and all the great discussions we had here, if I'm not mistaken it was I who started this thread years ago, how time flies.)

I totally agree with you that these cars need to be driven, and I would be less concerned with mileage and more with maintenance (receipts!) and overall condition. Classic cars in general don't do well sitting for months on end, unless you have your own mechanic and garage to properly tend to them for you.

If you'd like I can put you in touch with the company that redid my headlights so they offered modern performance and illumination, otherwise the originals are a lot dimmer than what we're used to today and not as confidence inspiring during nighttime drives.

Great seeing so many regulars here, I haven't checked in for almost a year, might hang out here more often. Who knows, I might end up getting another classic Maserati...!

(P.s. Negroni breaks are the best kind of breaks. Ivan knows his stuff :))