Broken Diff after selling the car | FerrariChat

Broken Diff after selling the car

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Bradwilliams, Jul 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#1 Bradwilliams, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Hey guys, I just wanted to do this post to remind everybody of how unpredictable the differentials in these cars can be. You guys all owe Shamille a big apology, here's why

To any of those who remember when I sold my car back in 2015 (prior to buying it back a year later) the car ran FLAWLESSLY, and I mean flawlessly. There were no vibrations in the transmission, shifter, etc. The buyer drove it and was more than pleased. Car had about 41k on it and shipped to California. Less than a 100 miles later, the shifter issue emerges and the diff goes. Now, I'm not quite sure if the guy I sold it to knew about this and simply fixed the gearbox and sell it back. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But he had to have known that I had no idea it was coming, nor did the car exhibit any symptoms. I told him more than once that I was only selling to raise business capital and that I would gladly buy it back in the future, which I did that next summer. The diff went within 500 miles and I had it fixed at the end of the summer/fall.

I 100 percent believe Shamille that he did not know his diff was going bad, and I think everybody should be giving him the benefit of the doubt. He never did anything sneaky or underhanded all of these years he has been active on this forum. He has no track record of that. Pretty sad that people are throwing him under the bus for this.

Good luck trying to predict wether or not your diff will go. It seems to be impossible.

JL350, George Vosburgh and EZORED like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Things happen! Did previous owner offer to help for the repair or Chime in? I just saw a guy in
    The forum who bought a 430 consigned and he had issues but previous owner offered to help with fees which is nice.
    Shamile had a nice high mileage car and Jamie a very gracious and killed buyer for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What's the "shifter issue"?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So the diff on your car went out twice within 600 miles (100 miles after you sold it and 500 miles after you bought it back)?

By the way, I never thought Shamille did anything wrong. He is eccentric for sure but not bad in anyway.

BOKE, blkdiablo33 and turbo-joe like this.
  5. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    The only thing due is kudos to the buyer for the skills and magnanimity
    and Fchat helping out.

6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

No. One of the gears physically broke after I sold it, and the diff carrier housing was damaged. The car was still driving and the diff hadn't gone yet completely. There are multiple threads covering this typical chain of events. I got the car back and it drove okay but with the vibration in the transmission. Then that summer/fall the diff went and I had it replaced with the Newman upgrade.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This diff thing on a Testarossa is a well known failure and anybody who buys a Testa has to budget for it if it has not been done.
    Same thing on a F355 and the famous valve guide issue.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    First off, Shamile did nothing wrong. I will say this, I have driven with Ferrari and Lamborghini
    owners for 20+ years and most are abusive to the drivetrain just simply because they are uneducated to some of the sensitivities that lie
    within. Yes the rear differential can break the weld that bonds the carrier together but most are abused and shocked a lot. Most know I have owned 4
    Tr cars. One was Twin Turbo with 750 RWHP. I drove them all spirited but was very delicate off the line and incredible harmony matching or synchronizing
    the shifts without shocking the gears or driveline. 750 RWHP which is basically double the power of the stock motor. Not one single driveline issue with
    any of the 4. I sold the TT car 5 years ago and he has not had one issue with the stock differential. I owned a very nice one owner 355. Use synthetic oil
    that has Zinc and Phosphate in it. Brad Penn makes it and Valvoline as well although the Valvoline is harder to find. If the guides are fine when you buy it,
    meaning there is no real noticeable issues as most are, you will not have a failure down the road with those oils, period. Worst thing they ever did is
    removing the Zinc and Phosphate from oil as it is one of the most load bearing chemicals and no scuffing quality is remarkable for everything in the motor.
    If you have a 355, use it, If you have a flat tappet cam and not roller, use it. There is no substitute and you will have great life out of valve guides, rings,
    lifters and cams. If you own a 355 use it and never worry again. Great for the TR as well with 4 flat tappet cams and cam followers. Valve clearance
    will stay the same between majors and the wear associated, disappears for the next engine out.

Red Rocket and peteficarra like this.
  9. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Mobil 1 has a 5w-40 diesel that has Zddp, I used it in a Ford racing engine I had in a backdraft cobra.
    But the cobra didn’t have cats and I believe ZDDP destroys cats, just an observation if somebody wants to follow your advice that a good idea to remove the cats prior to use oil with ZDDP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Its certainly not good for them in fairly heavy dilution but lets hope we aren't burning that much oil and only a very small
    fraction makes it out. I personally would not remove the cats but I don't disagree with you on what has been published.
    Maybe a case for benefits far out weigh the small possibility of cats losing their effectiveness down the road. The EPA
    just goes so far over the top on what they want in the air and what reality is. Just my observation. Appreciate the input!

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to place those turbos so much down is not a good idea. may have problems with the oil return?

12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Been that way for 10 years. James at Norwoods has been building this setup for 25 years and has about 20 builds out there. A lot of success. I know you know what you are doing too brother.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

christc and turbo-joe like this.