Shell Lubricants for Ferrari F430 | FerrariChat

Shell Lubricants for Ferrari F430

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ray Smith, Jul 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    The F430 owner's manual is very specific about which lubricants the car requires to stay on the good side of Ferrari. I have no problem with that despite using Mobile-One for over 30 years in my Corvettes.

The problem is sourcing the Shell lubricants, especially the F1 ATF fluid here in Southern California.

Does anyone have a source for quantities below 55-gallon drums of this stuff? I have googled my fingers off and no joy. Specifically engine oil, ATF fluid, power steering fluid, and brake fluid. I have used Motul brake fluid for years with no problem but since my car has two years left on the Ferrari 15-year powertrain warranty I don't want to jeopardize that coverage by using "Ed's lube products" just to save a few bucks.

Thank you.

Ray

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you have paid for the warranty you probably shouldn't be changing your own fluids

3. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks, mom..

epb0 likes this.
  4. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Just an opinion - but I do not think much os Shell lubricants or gas either.

Get friendly with your dealers mechanics - find out what they recommend.

Motul makes good oil.

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I use Motul brake fluid exclusively. I will look at their oil offerings. Thanks for the pointer.

A few of the mechanics at Ferrari of Newport Beach are Italian. I speak just enough Italian to get what I need and get a few chuckles from the locals. That worked well for me when I was photographing cars from Risi Competizione in the ALMS series, at Le Mans, at Maranello (I BSed my way into a tour of the factory) and at Monza, where I drove my rental Mercedes on the track at speed on Turno Circolazione Turistica (tourists laps). I have photos on my web site my wife took from the passenger seat of me banging the curbs at Variante del Rettifilo, my least favorite corner. Variante Ascari is fun (a gorgeous 4-wheel drift). You can drive as fast as your car will go, and brake as late as you dare. Oh, and being Europeans, they practice rechts fahren. They have an ambulance crew standing by. Fortunately, the Mercedes we had was horsepower-limited. I would have killed myself and my wife if I were driving my Z06, that's traction-limited, not horsepower-limited.

If you visit Italy you can drive on the track. Just check the dates on their web site. Pick the UK version if you don't read Italian.

https://www.monzanet.it/interno.php?id=68

It costs like $25 bucks for 30 minutes, but if you stay out longer (I did until I ran low on fuel) and pay later. You don't need a helmet.

Ciao

Ray