Boxer cabin vent hole size and spacing | FerrariChat

Boxer cabin vent hole size and spacing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mexicruiser, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hello, would someone be so kind to measure the hole size and approximate spacing of the group of small vent holes in the rear of the cabin? I’m recovering the leather of this part and can’t use the old one as a basis because it has already been recovered in the past and it is not close to the original.
    While in storage I left the door glass 5cm open, a rat jumped In (I could see the footprints on the door) and couldn’t get back out, it gnawed at the leather in this area because I guess it could feel the fresh air. The rat died on the passenger floor carpet and luckily didn’t do more damage than this (and of course making me remove and deep clean everything else).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The first step is to close your eyes, then start punching holes. I swear thats how Ferrari did it.

mexicruiser and turbo-joe like this.
  3. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you very much Ludwig, so holes are close to 1/8” and I do see a triangle like pattern, will try to replicate it. Does that tape have two different inch scales? Continental?

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    We (my upholsterer, actually) replicated it by using one side as a pattern to mark a card (through the holes), then punching those out. using the pattern card, marked each hole on the leather with wax, and punched them individually.
    The hard part is keeping the orientation correct, so they are not only in the correct locations, but not tilted differently vs. the opposite side.

Ferrari would have used a pattern punch to do it all in one shot, but they were making more than one.

5. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I places the 1" side closest. The other scale is in 1/10 ft

mexicruiser likes this.
  6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Willrace, the holes are no longer original so I can’t use those as a sample, but the idea of making a template is a good one, that way I can be more precise.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this template then you just can use for both sides, just turn it outside inside

mexicruiser likes this.
  8. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    turbo-joe likes this.
  9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    My Suitcase Guides were riveted. I just replaced them last week.

Attached Files:

mexicruiser likes this.
  10. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you ag512bbi, I’ll source some long pop rivets for that, PO recarpeted the car and I find screws on some locations and rivets on others, I’m guessing there should be only rivets? I found screws in the following places: accel plastic pedal cover, rocker panel covers under the ashtrays, center tunnel covers.

11. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Yes Ferrari is very fond of rivits

mexicruiser likes this.