360 - 360 Hesitating Between 6k & 7.5k | FerrariChat

360 360 Hesitating Between 6k & 7.5k

Discussion in '360/430' started by SRLC716, Apr 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    A few times over the past couple weeks (maybe 3-4 separate occurrences) my 2003 360 spider seems to miss in upper rpm ranges, really between 6k and 7.5k. It’s like it’s hesitating and losing power. It typically occurs when the car has just warmed up to oil and coolant running temp and I first put it through its paces to redline. When it hesitates after a couple of runs up through the full range it seems to “blow it out” and then runs proper after that for the remainder of the drive I’m on.

This evening I took it for a ride and it hesitated a couple times once it was up to temp. After I put my kids to bed of course it wasn’t sitting right with me so I took it back out, gassed it up full, warmed it back up, and again it hesitated. Then after 2-3 tries it opened back up and screamed through the gears pulling hard to redline after that. Again for the remainder of the drive.

Maybe plugs because it’s running rich? Perhaps correlated with being low on gas, as it seems like every time I’ve only got 2-3 clicks of gas left.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

check the ground points, especially , the point where, after you remove the RH engine bay panel, 2 bolts.

SRLC716 and one4torque like this.
  3. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    Happened to me in 1st gear above 4.5K, no CEL. Could be a number of things. I fully charged my battery and ran fresh gas through. Solved my problem. Plan to run a tank or 2 through for starters. I found many solutions here: gas, battery, turn off Asr, grounds, coils, plugs, MAFS, intake gaskets, intake gaskets. I say start simple then work your way through.

4. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks for the ideas - will start here.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    THe rarri - nailed it sir. Plus parts are so rel inexpensive...... might as well do these PM's....... as this platform is 15-20 yrs old now...

coils - cheap
    fuel inj - rebuild / clean - cheap
    sp plugs - cheap
    grounds - free
    fuel - free
    air filters - cheap
    battery -cheap
    pull codes - cheap scanner
    failing cats - cheap headers avail now

short of an internal eng problem - there really is no unobtainium issues with this platform.
    AND.... worst case engine fail.... used 360 engines are plentiful @ 10-15K.

RANDY6005, I'm 360 Canuck and SRLC716 like this.
  6. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks for the help guys. I’m gonna work my way through this list. I already have new headers and bmc filters coming in, as well as a mase engineering tune. The car already had tubi exhaust and capristo test pipes. During installation of the new bits I’m going to have my guy run through everything else on the list.

one4torque likes this.
  7. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    New plugs did the trick. She revs smooth and pulls even harder than I remember all the way to redline.

Thanks for the ideas.

Raconteur, one4torque and brookliner7 like this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Awesome news srl!

just love rev ing out a properly running 360

SRLC716 likes this.
  9. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    As an update and an add to the list of things to check for those searching and finding this thread make sure you check your alternator. The hesitation came back on me, turns out it was my alternator. A rebuild finally solved my problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Interesting...I know the ground wire at the alternator comes loose and needs to be checked at annual. Also, I run a bottle of redline fuel injection cleaner thru every 1000 miles or so. Great stuff to keep the injectors and fuel system clean.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Fairly common problem, they take a large heat load. But, it is easily identified as a charging/low battery issue.