AC not cooling 458 | FerrariChat

AC not cooling 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So I did a search, and noted this issue has occurred to others. I would rather save the aggravation of going to a shop to have this looked at if it can be recharged by me, a novice. I found a few items on the net as well as noted here:

https://www.aa1car.com/library/ac_recharging.htm

In 93 you could have R12 or R134a ... R12 is now illegal to use for most cars .. so you would have to have your system retrofitted so it can use R134a ... you can see what kind you have by looking under the hood .. there should be a plaque that tells what kind and how much the system holds .. the R134a systems have a special larger filler port and that is easily recognized by anyone familiar with auto air conditioning .. so just a look will tell them ... R134a is known for slow leaks .. its a small molicule so leaks easily .. the compressor will stop when the pressure gets down too low ..thats to prevent damage .. for now anyone can purchase r134a and many people add it themselves but the law specifies that only certified people can do work on air conditioners .. R12 and R134a are not compatable so you cant mix them .. no matter what the only refridgerrant you can use is R134a.

Regarding the above, I only posted this because it seems to indicate to me the 458 must have R134a and that R134a is a small molecule that is known to leak over time. I know it will list the type under the hood, but the car is in a remote garage. So, is it R134a?

So, I am thinking of buying the gauge, and giving it a go. Anyone else done this?

BTW, our trusted shop says it might even need to be charged to 300 psi depending on temperature. I noted in the link above this:

LOW pressure gauge: When the reading is between 25 and 40 psi with the A/C running, STOP. The system is fully charged and should be cooling normally. DO NOT add any more refrigerant. If the gauge is over 50 psi, you have overcharged the system with too much refrigerant. If your gauge has different color coded zones for R-12, R-134a and/or R-1234yf, make sure you are within the correct range for your type of refrigerant.

High pressure gauge: When the reading gets up around 200 to 225 psi (R-12), or225 to 250 psi (R-134a), STOP. The system is fully charged and should be cooling normally. DO NOT add any more refrigerant.

NOTE: The high and low pressure readings will vary depending on the system and ambient temperatures (higher temperatures cause higher system pressure readings).

Refer to the vehicle manufacturer specifications for normal system operating pressures, and the total refrigerant capacity of the system. Most newer passenger car A/C systems do not hold much refrigerant (only 14 to 28 oz.), so you don't want to add too much if the system is low. One can of R-134a typically holds 12 oz. of refrigerant.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So, although this is cringe worthy, if it is this simple, why not try this first. Again, it's about the time and aggravation factor.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    With variable ac compressors which you have ..the low pressure method doesn't work well ....the only way to know when it is full is to evacuate and fill with exact the right weigh of freon... The only other method that works pretty well is measuring sub cooling

Nevertheless if you still want to go forward with this ..buy pure freon.. not anything with sealer etc and add 2 3 oz at a time ..close valve ..wait 5 mins and see if you are getting cooling

Also depending on hose you get ..purge the air out of hose ..usually you can do this but attaching can and pushing needle valve on hose attachment..you really don't want air and mosture being put into system

The worst thing you want is a over charged system which will stress your compressor etc

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thank you, of course it would not be worth screwing it up. That would be even far more aggravation than just an inconvenience

flash32 likes this.