Buying advice...Testarossa, Murcielago | FerrariChat

Buying advice...Testarossa, Murcielago

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Chrisv123, Jul 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chrisv123

Chrisv123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Veit
    Hello,

Looking to buy either an ‘86 flying mirror or a pre LP manual Murcielago. I am wondering how problematic these cars are after everything is addressed. I plan to drive around 1500 miles a month with whatever is decided. I’m a believer in driving my cars...

Any help would be appreciated and if there is any for sale...please send me pictures and links!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Welcome. This was recently discussed for those same cars. If u do a search u can find the answers.
    The Testarossa is pretty reliable but with its âgé and rare parts 18k mile a year makes it unlikely to be the car for u...
    as far as for sale there are a few on Autotrader you can find!
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I’m an owner sine 2009 of a 86 flying mirror.
    After a disastrous start my ownership was almost flawless.
    Natking is right in saying some part can be problematic but I’ve never ran in a situation where something was unobtainable.
    Just my 2 cents...

turbo-joe and sherrillt like this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm going to assume you have never owned a true exotic. You would find out very quickly why this isn't practical. So make sure you have a daily driver option.

The next issue is that these cars are miles apart in almost every aspect, making for a really tough comparison.....reach out to Shamile, he could give you some good input.

I own a Diablo and drove a Murcielago on a couple of occasions.....I didn't like it. I would skip that whole Gallardo/Murcielago generation. No experience with the TR.

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Save yourself money and get a higher mileage Testarossa if you plan to drive it that much. Any low mileage one will probably have more problems due to nonuse, rather than a higher mileage one that has a good service history.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

UpNorth and turbo-joe like this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

As long as the diff has been changed I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes. try to find a high mileage TR with hnew ( not original ) diff and you will be happy

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I have owned numerous TR’s and pre LP 6 speed Murcies. The Lambo in my opinion is your choice. I have both cars now. Gosh, they are both so different so are you a Ferrari guy or Lambo guy? The Lambo has power steering, cool doors and will run off from a TR. TR’s are more fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    TR’s have a console of switches like a Ford Pinto. Huge strike

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    In my opinion if you are not 10/10 on getting a TR, then don't get a TR.

MOSS likes this.
  11. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I disagree. The OP didn't say the car would be an only car. Any two seat/no storage car is impractical but can be a daily commuter. You can can drive any if these cars daily if you choose and they probably won't be on the side of the road from use. I have met exotic owners who daily their cars.

The only issue that many exotic owners try to template/project on to everyone is a preoccupation of value/miles. Although I would say the majority of the secondary owners are, not everyone is worried about the value/miles of their car(s), hence you see higher mileage (a very relative term, since 50k mi is considered high in this brand) come up for sale.

It's really an owner culture difference. Just keep in mind other than the maintenance down time variance, there is no reason a Corvette can be driven daily but not a Ferrari.

The only reason I can think of is that the Ferrari shop takes 3-days+ to do an oil change.

12. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I have an 85TR and owned till recently a 6 speed 2003 Murcie as well. I drove both quite a bit and I believe the Murcie makes far more sense as a regular driver. The AC works, power steering, good audio (though I never turned it on, the best sound track comes from the engine). The Testa is a wonderful car but the Murcie is way more modern in comparison. I found both easy to drive and live with. I still have the Testa... :)

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    1500 miles per month on either car is a terrible idea. If attempted - you will soon hate the car.

Buy a front engine corvette.

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Drive the car two days a month and it will always feel special.

sherrillt and Shark01 like this.
  15. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Having owned both, 4 TR's and one Murcielago I would say the Murci wins hands down. The Murci is more robust, save for clutch life. Plus if you want attention, there is NO comparison.

16. Chrisv123

Chrisv123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Veit
    Both! Have an ‘86 328 and also an ‘01 diablo. Have shyed away from a TR for years now but I think it’s time. Both are daily drivers for the most part actually. I never cared for power steering, AC, etc.

sherrillt likes this.
  17. Chrisv123

Chrisv123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Veit
    Such as replacing it with a 512TR differential?

18. Chrisv123

Chrisv123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Veit
    Thank you! That’s what I figured with these cars. Once all the problems are gone and handled, they can be pretty good.

19. Chrisv123

Chrisv123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Veit
    While AC is great, I’ve become accustomed to no AC in an ‘86 328 for over a year now! Not practical, but still joyful! I think I will be staying set with a Testarossa...

20. Chrisv123

Chrisv123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Veit
    Do you have any experience with the 6.0 diablo? How is the murci compared to that?

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    NO
    with an aftermarket from for example from modena australia or newman, a member here or other manufacturer, all better than original

c4b4the04 likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The 6.0 Diablo (well any post '98 Diablo) is better than the 1st gen Murcielago in every way that matters. Your car is even faster than that is because of the power to weight ratio.

Chrisv123 likes this.
  23. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Never had a Diablo, though it's on the list. I did own an LP640