GTC4 Lusso mini review | FerrariChat

GTC4 Lusso mini review

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Jas, Jul 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas

The Lusso is the best 4 seat family car money can buy. If you are even remotely tempted, get one before they are made extinct by emissions regulations.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Lusso has a glorious old F1 car style scream from its naturally aspirated V12. It's almost worth buying for that silky smooth high revving engine alone! It also puts its power down very well thanks to its AWD system (especially on the new standard Michelin PS4S tyres), unlike a DBS Superleggera for example, which struggles for traction almost every time full throttle is applied. Another notable feature is its 4WS (4 wheel steering), which makes this long car manoeuvre and feel like a much shorter wheelbase car. In short it feels agile and nimble in a way that belies its length and mass.

Avoid the early Lusso's however, as these have extremely over-servo-assisted steering, with no feedback. The factory sports exhaust muffles the engine note to the extent it doesn't sound like a Ferrari, or a V12. An aftermarket Novitec backbox with X-Pipe will however unleash all that Ferrari V12 goodness. A remote valve controller will allow you to switch between a comfortably quiet car, and a screaming banshee. Think carefully before buying new, as the Year 1 depreciation on these makes the Wall Street Crash of 1929 look like a picnic.

This supercar will seat 4 adults in perfect comfort. All of my family prefer sitting in the rear seats in fact, as they offer a stunning panoramic view through that huge edge to edge glass roof, which is worth every penny of its eye-watering £11,500 option cost. The Lusso is supremely comfortable, luxurious and quiet in Comfort mode. Yet you can have a lot of fun in Sports mode (or "higher").

I had the Lusso detailed by Azuri.

Azuri did various items of work, including paint correction and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating and EXOv4. Glass, wheels, rubber parts and wheels were also treated. CF and gloss black wraps were also applied selectively, as was 3M pinstriping.

When I saw my detailed car I absolutely LOVED it! It was truly transformed. Mirror shine, perfect paintwork, impeccable small details.

ak4713, Groshyubcha, 350MH83 and 10 others like this.
  2. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    So 2017 lusso will have less steering feel comparing to MY18 ~20 lusso? Btw great write up, hopefully I’ll find mine very soon.

F2003-GA and Jas like this.
  3. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I'm not sure exactly when the steering was changed, but the difference is stark and noticeable.

Thanks, glad you liked it :)

4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Awesome write up and interesting what you say about the sound being average in stock form. Seems that’s the case for virtually all of the recent V12 models?! I guess it’s due to needing to meet noise regs? Thank the lord for Novitec ;)

Jas likes this.
  5. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Yes, noise regulations, plus I suspect Ferrari's desire to make the Lusso as quiet and comfortable as they could. Hence it being quieter than the FF, where both have factory exhausts. Both take the same aftermarket exhausts, so will sound the same externally afterwards.

Lusso will always be quieter inside due to the much greater sound proofing and double glazing (until you open a window). Which is a good thing IMO for a family car.

I've installed a Novitec backbox and Capristo X-Pipe.

Also a Capristo remote valve controller (so I can make the car quieter for family use, or when just travelling a long distance on motorway). This also stops that annoying change in tone when the valves open and close on the factory system, as you can set it to always open when you want it to sound sporty.

6. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    Beautiful
    Absolutely beautiful car. I like the khanda (fellow Sikh here).

F2003-GA and Jas like this.
  7. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Great review, are there any rumors about Ferrari replacing it for a new replacement?

Jas likes this.
  8. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks.

I understand it will be discontinued, as it will effectively be replaced by the SUV. That will of course seat 4/5 and be AWD. And will probably sell like hot cakes, unlike the niche FF & Lusso.

JotaEle likes this.
  9. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    bearmdjd likes this.
  10. bam bam

bam bam Rookie

Mar 20, 2016

Patricia2020 likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How can a SUV replace a Hatchback. I’d say discontinued... but replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F2003-GA likes this.
  12. bam bam

bam bam Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    I took delivery of my Lusso in January. My dealer Algar says that the Lusso is finished. No factory orders being taken. They agree that the 4 seat V12 is over. The replacement will likely be the SUV.
    I am glad I went for it as it is a wonderful driver. It truly is the “comfort” Ferrari. Love it.
    It also led to the purchase of a GTS that is now on order. Probably a year off.
    Keeping my 458 Spider as I can’t give up that NA engine scream.

13. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    Jas likes this.
  14. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    In the sense of both being 4 (or more) seater Ferraris, and both having AWD, and one ceasing production as the newer one is about to commence. In effect, it is replaced.

Although for FF/Lusso owners, I agree it's really not the same thing. A supercar cannot be replaced by an SUV.

15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Love your Lusso. Great color combo.

My dealer was noting that the market on Lussos is heating up due to the end of production- he noted my purchase earlier this year will likely be seen as the sweet spot of pricing.

I enjoyed and benefit from your comment likening depreciation to the 1929 Wall Street crash. I just worry for the next F8 SV the purosange will be a required purchased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jas likes this.
  16. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Thanks :) I think the detailing has given it a bit of "interest", although I appreciate some owners prefer to keep the car completely understated.

I'm not so sure Ferrari can play that game quite so much in future. New Lusso buyers lost a lot, and didn't gain on the Pista. With Pista being unlimited, there were simply too many of them, and it was arguably not as desirable as the 458 Speciale, and also outgunned by competitors.

But back on topic, the Lusso V12 will remain rather desirable if it truly is the last of its kind. That should help residuals now. A well specced Lusso is really a rather special place to be.

It's a little like travelling everywhere in your own private jet :)

ScottS likes this.
  17. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Driving with a friend today. I just liked this quick phone snap, showing the Senna in the mirror with the "GTC Lusso" dash badge reflected in the glass.

otakki, SECRET and tomc like this.
  18. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    How early is early for the steering feedback issue? Is this a known thing?

19. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    It's not an "issue" or fault. Just a difference in feel, and I personally hated the superlight zero feedback of the early version. Others may not have the same aversion to it.

It felt as dead as any electric BMW etc steering to me, despite being hydraulic, as it was so over-servoed.

20. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    did they change this in the 2018 and 2019 model years?

21. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas

I'm afraid I don't know the exact changeover date. But it's such a dramatic difference that a test drive will easily reveal it. Some people may not hate the early over-servoed steering as much as I did anyway.

For me it was a deal-breaker, but then I am used to McLaren and Lotus steering, which have by far the best feel and feedback around.

22. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    I've asked several dealers and all cite that the cars are exactly the same between model years?

23. Bob Dobalibus

Bob Dobalibus Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bob Dobalibus
    Jas, on an aside, did you ever have an FF as well? Several journos say the Lusso has more room in the rear vs. the FF. Did the designers actually find more room or are the front seats just thinner in the Lusso? They do appear a bit more slimmed down and don't offer either the TV screens or ventilation...

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    very smart man!

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    hahaha! I agree. Lotus steering feel is indeed the benchmark easily.

Jas likes this.