To sell or not to sell my 612 | FerrariChat

To sell or not to sell my 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by RegW, Jul 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    Here's my dilemma: I love driving... big tours across Europe. However, my 612 happens to be one of the few left with less than 10k miles. I bought it because it was collectable (Royal provenance, LHD, only one owner before me, all service records etc...) but I added 3000 miles in 3 yrs just by taking it to the golf club and trips to the country side. Also, meanwhile my kids became tall teenagers...so I'm now thinking of swapping it for a high mileage 599, now that we barely use the back seats anymore. Shall I preserve the 612 by restraining my urge to drive it, just ignore the mileage barrier or swap? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Makuono likes this.
  2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    It's a beauty and appears to be well sorted. Ignore the mileage barrier and carry on adding miles :)

Camp Freddie and Anthony James like this.
  3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Looks nice, what color is that, what is the car's year?
    Are wheel original , I have never seen those before. Keep it if you can...

I decide to keep mine though I rarely drive it . I'm going to store it and use it less it's just a very special unique car all around.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    clean 612s arent easy to find - i wld keep it. It's debatable that the 599 is the better drive. i prefer driving the 612 and to me the 612 design has aged better than the 599.

cgt000, Makuono and m5shiv like this.
  5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’d say if the mileage is going to bother you, then it’s going to bother you. Always own the car you’re going to drive the most, and if you’ll get more use out of a leggy 599, then that’s the one for you. Plus they’re great value right now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caphill likes this.
  6. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    I agree with broganville that if the miles bother you, then it's going to be a bother. So don't drive it. I used to think that way when I had an early and very collectable flying mirror testarossa. But after a few years it got tiresome worrying about driving in the rain and running up miles, etc, so I traded it for a 612 OTO. On this car I decided that I wasn't going to spend any mental energy worrying about mileage. So I'm doing about 3K miles per year and enjoying it. Ferrari 2 + 2 cars have never done well in the investment category of Ferrari cars. Not until they are about 50 years old or more. That's too long for you. It's a great car to drive, and better looking than the 599. So I think, all things considered, that driving it is a better use of your investment than storing it. That's where I have decided to go.

Caphill and Makuono like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Do u still love the car? If so keep it!
    If u are to get rid of it get something more rare than a 599 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    This

ScottS likes this.
  9. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Since I saw your picture with the 458 wheels, I bought those wheels aswell. They look great on a 612.

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you are not going to drive it, swap it for a car you will drive. Life is too short. ;)

RonH, m5shiv and brogenville like this.
  11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    612s will never significantLy appreciate. So there is no point in keeping the mileage low. Much better to simply drive it and enjoy it.

donv, Nospinzone and Rex71 like this.
  12. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    If you enjoy the 612, then the 599 would be a nice upgrade if you are ready to forgo the back seats. The 599 is stupid fast though. I'm still getting used to have much road it can cover in such a short time. We bought ours for exactly the same reason you are contemplating one. We wanted to do some long distance road trips in a comfortable car that could transform into something more so as we approached great driving roads. The pandemic put a halt to that for the time being. The 599 and 612 are both fairly rare cars considering all the other models that follow. Maybe a 550 would be more rare and meet your continent crossing goals.

m5shiv likes this.
  13. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I'm with @Caphill, I added a 550 to share miles with the 612 !

Caphill likes this.
  14. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Never say never @RonH !! Drive that Ferrari now......

RonH and Skidkid like this.
  15. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Keep and enjoy i say-milage will still be pretty low,whatever you do with it!

16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Car looks lovely. Is that Grigio Ingrid?

17. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    Yes Grigio Ingrid...it seems champagne is coming back into fashion after a decade of black ...many thanks to all for your input so far - mulling things over now!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Makuono likes this.
  18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well. If you are attached to this one and seek another to drive, why not add? The only question is budget, space, and use. If you will add, will it supplant the 612? Will you convert the 612 to a one plus?

Or since you love the genre but don’t want miles on the aging 612, go FF? They are amazing, quite a bargain and tall teenagers can fit in the back. Still a 12, and all the things your 612 cannot do (rain, snow etc) this will handle with aplomb. Price point is such that you cannot really lose on them even if you wind up not liking it in the losing term.

Or go F12 and not look back.........

Live is short. Drive it well.

19. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Shiv's three rules:

1. Never sell your first Ferrari
    2. It's ok to sell a Ferrari to buy another Ferrari
    3. Never be without a Ferrari

VladimirB, Anthony James and Makuono like this.
  20. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Shiv, I like rule #1. I still have my first, a gated 355 Spider. Not always my first choice to drive, but always fun when I do.

21. Titobandito

Titobandito Karting

May 26, 2019
    Switzerland
    I decided long ago not to try to be a Ferrari museum. I drive my cars and enjoy every kilometre I put on the odometer. It is admirable to think of preserving something, but that isn't my focus. I'd ignore the mileage thing and enjoy it. In several decades when there are fewer 612s rolling around, and they are even more rare, the provenance and originality of your car will matter a lot more than the odometer to the auction buyer that will do a full restoration on it anyway.

22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd drive it-- that's what I do with my 612! With the easy parking and limited traffic of the pandemic, I've been driving it to work lately.

23. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    totaly agree , took me over a year for find mine
    was hard to find one with all maintenance done on time and documented ..