330 GTC start up | FerrariChat

330 GTC start up

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Oengus, Jul 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

wondering what your start up process is when car has been sitting for a week or two?

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ???

While it obviously can vary from car to car, especially when individual 50+ year old examples may have significantly different mileage, usage and service histories, I would recommend studying your owners manual as a starting point (no pun intended) and develop/discover technique suitable for you and your car.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Yes Timo Ive done that......just wondering after the fuel pump clicks out if its necessary to pump the pedal a few times or hold the pedal down. Ive started mine 4x since purchase and each times been different.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    pump pedal a few times then slightly crack open throttle.
    once it starts to catch, may need to pump throttle.

Daytonafan likes this.
  5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    1. Key on
    2. Electric Pump ON, until it slows and then OFF.
    3. Pump throttle slowly four to eight times ( you will learn the "correct" number over time). DO NOT use the choke!
    4. Engage starter with a small amount of throttle applied. If it starts and dies, then two more pumps and repeat process.
    5. Keep engine running at 1000-1200 rpm for 10-15 seconds and then let out clutch in neutral.
    6. Warm up for three minutes at 1500 rpm.
    7. Stay under 2500-3000 until water temp reaches 160 F.
    8. Stay under 4000 until oil temp needle moves off peg.
    HAVE FUN!!

Bowzer, Red Rocket, SCantera and 6 others like this.
  6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Awesome!!!......thanks both

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I start my 365 more or less the same way... key on, wait for ticking of pump to slow down, pump throttle three or four times, crank, ka-whoom and she's running! If it's been sitting for a while, it takes a few more cranks, if it's been started in the last week or so, usually fires on the first or second crank.

Oengus likes this.
  8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Glad to read it work out so easily for you, but my suggestions were merely based on personal experiences.
    For example, I currently have 3 Daytonas in the shop. While all are mid-to-late production U.S. delivery examples and to casual observer may appear to have somewhat similar start-up procedures, due to mileage and number of other variables, like compression ratios, ignition systems and type of starters, etc they all seem to require slightly different techniques to get them fired up.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Does the 330 have an ignition switch which is separate from the key? It's always annoying when you are cranking for a while, nothing is happening, and then you realize the ignition is off!

11. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Don: 330 GTC ignition switch is key controlled. Not separate.

donv and turbo-joe like this.
  12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do any Ferraris other than the 365GT have a separate ignition switch?

13. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    For my 330GT (not GTC even though the engine is identical with two not four engine mounts), I start the engine mostly as above: wait for the electric pump to finish filling the carb bowels -- wait for it to slow down a lot -- and then pump to pedal: around 3 or 4 times if the car has been driven recently, more if the car has been sitting -- up to 8 or 9 if it has been sitting for a long time. Then I violate the choke rule: I pull the choke button all the way out. I turn on the starter. The engine makes about one or two turns and then starts immediately. Never any trouble. As soon as the engine starts, I fairly rapidly push the choke button in and use the pedal to keep the engine running at about 1,000 RPM. It takes about 20 seconds for me to remove the choke. I then follow the RPM rules that Dyke stated in post 5 above. If it is cool outside it takes almost 1/2 hour for the oil temperature gauge needle to move off it's peg.

SCantera likes this.
  14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

If my car sits for 4-5 days she’s a real ***** to start.
    Any words of wisdom.

after the electric pump stops
    I’ve tried 4 pumps of the pedal to 8 pumps of the pedal.

thx
    Chas

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Not sure if this qualifies as "wisdom", but rather than expecting different answers to same subject matter you already initiated with another thread few weeks ago, it might be better to continue with that one, especially in the light of apparently unsuccessful results it yielded, so that others can avoid redundancy of offering same (unsuccessful/useless) advise.

Other than that and assuming you haven’t already done so, the only thing I could suggest is to try contact previous owner(s) of your car and ask how he/she/they managed to get it started under similar circumstances.

Also, as I suggested before, every several decades old used car, depending on many variables, including maintenance/service/rebuild history of its various components will behave differently and in most cases the factory instructions, which were intended for new or nearly new examples, often don't apply.

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Thanks Timo
    I did reach out to the previous owner and he gave me his ideas. She does start but does take a lot of cranking....sometimes 20-30 seconds. I wanted to confirm with him that that’s what he experienced also.
    I was actually afraid of cranking it so much.

Mods pls add this to me previous thread on the subject....ty

17. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    After the electric pump slows down, take the lid off the air cleaner, look down the carbs and make sure they all squirt fuel when someone pumps the throttle.

christc likes this.
  18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

I did do that and yes they are all receiving fuel....

I actually think she runs a little rich

19. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    First put a new set of NGK BP6ES spark plugs in the car. Gap at .025". If that does not fix the problem, how old are the spark plug wires?

Oengus likes this.
  20. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Car was just serviced......I’ll change the plugs anyways...

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Drove her yesterday and she fired right up this am.

must be a sitting thing