Track day insurance | FerrariChat

Track day insurance

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Alexcle, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    hello all,

I just signed up for some track days and I looked at 1 day insurance for my f12. I was surprised it was 1400 just for one day. That is more than I expected.

Where can I find better track day insurance and what do you guys do for track days.

Last since it is front mid engine, how should you drive the f12 vs a mid engine?

Thank you in advance for Any advice and alternatives.

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    that sounds about right. i got quoted about $1k for my 2012 458 so i am sure your car is worth more. my guy lets me take a lesser amount with a larger deductible. so i hedge my bets that way. Here is his contact information -

PayneWest
    Insurance

Garrett Hall
    Sales Executive, Personal Insurance

[email protected]
    P (971) 888-7411 | M (541) 324-0568

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Most auto policies cover you on track as a driver training exercise. If you aren't racing. you should qualify under driver education. Of course, check with your agent to be sure.

4. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I had (most) of a 458 in my garage last spring. Owner went off at T10 VIR and sent the driver front axle 13mm backwards. Frame uprights were shattered. Car was effectively totaled within 45 seconds of leaving the paddock. Auto insurance does not necessarily cover, I would want it in writing if it is ‘covered’. As it was, the 458 in question sold at Copart for 125k, far more of a loss than the 1400 for the day.

I’ve instructed with FCA for many years and only once have I seen a standard motor car policy cover damages. It was at a National meet and the driver had a Canadian policy. It did in fact cover it but was due to a collision caused by another student and not the driver error. My testimony backed that (I was in the right seat and grateful that it wasn’t a harder hit). I can think of three other supercars off tracks that have no coverage.

I have a track dedicated car so I don’t worry about those fees. I’ve been instructing for many years and things happen. I’d highly recommend the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Thank you guys for all the resources.

Your experience with seeing supercars crash seem to be a real reality check and Murphy’s law!

This confirms the costs of racing-lol. I may go for the one year policy unlimited. But it is $10k

6. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    They used to. HPDE nowadays is an exclusion and clearly stated in their policy.

Btw, when I was given a quote for track insurance, I was told it only covers my car, ie., not other's car.

Manda racing likes this.
  7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    HPDE - High Performance Driver Education (for those not familiar) :)

".... it only covers my car, ie., not other's car." - because that would imply you were racing. :eek:

Ron328 likes this.
  8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    There are clauses in all the carriers policies these days that does not cover you on a race track...racing or not. They use to back in the 90’s through 2000’s but with the large surge in HPDE events and participants the insurance companies got wise back around 2012 or so.

Manda racing and Ianjoub like this.
  9. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I have annual policy with open track. Nice peace of mind and run the **** out of the car.

Manda racing, BOKE and mdrums like this.
  10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    State Farm: "any closed course designed for fast driving" was the gist of it.

Being argumentative, I'll sue them if needed. The Firm isn't designed for fast driving. Daytona is designed for fast driving. I bet I would be hard pressed to get over 100 mph at The Firm.

11. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Thank you for all the feedback. I received a quote for annual. About $10k. I would need to go to the track more than 2 a month may- sept to get my moneys worth vs the single event which is 1200 I just received.

Then I started thinking if I do that and plan on changing rotors and pads and few sets of tires. Now, I am probably 30k plus to track it.

My conclusion and realization is. Racing a ferrari is not cheap! Lol.

Hence people buy gt3’s for track, which is starting to sound reasonable.

I will do the 1 day and try it first.

12. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

13. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Open Track. Agreed upon value.

Ron328 and BOKE like this.
  14. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hagerty doesn't insure Ferraris. At least not in my state. Opentrack did. The deductible was 10% of the car's value. I didn't crash so can't tell you what they're like if you do :).

Manda racing likes this.
  15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Opentrack is solid. I know guys that have had a claim and pay out was good. On reenlist there is a ton of discussion about track insurance and what guys are using and claims filed.

TuttoBene likes this.
  16. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Updating an older thread…Opentrack no longer insures Ferraris. Anyone have other options?

17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Hagerty or Lockton

18. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Bummer. Looks like a change from OpenTrack:

"Why are Ferrari's ineligible for coverage?
    The high volume of Ferrari claims, and corresponding cost associated with those claims, created profitability issues five years in a row."

And that's why we can't have nice things.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  19. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Hagerty doesn’t do F-cars either. Checking Lockton.

20. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    They require “special assistance” with an agent as Ferrari NA not listed as a potential event.

21. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Just noticed Ferrari McLaren Lamborghini came up as ineligible with Hagerty. Wow…times are changing for sure.

22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    if an event is not listed you can call and they will list it for you. i insured my f12 and 458 but you have to do it at reduced value because they do not go over 200k

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Have you seen what their max coverage looks like and if they will honor agreed upon value versus market value? I also wonder if anyone has had experience with claims with them.