California T buyers guide? | FerrariChat

California T buyers guide?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by nugget, Jul 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Hi everyone. I am looking at buying a California T. It looks like Forza only has a buyers guide for the base California. Anything I should look out for? It looks like they did not have apple carplay as an option. Any helpful things to watch out for would be great. Also, how has it been to own? I assume pretty reliable. We have owned an 89 328GTS for 18 years so the MX is a bit of a bear but do not want to sell it. Also, I have 5&7 year old girls, thus the Cali not 458/88. For those with kids can you make it work? My guess is yes for about the next 2-3 years then they will out grow it. Thanks for your help.

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Congrats on the hunt. I'll tell you, there's nothing better than having the kids along on drives in the Fcar. They're at great ages for it. I'll never forget picking my son and his friend up from kindergarten regularly in the 612, all the cars and coffees together, great times. They're 12 and 15 now and not so interested anymore so get in the memories while the getting is good.

My biggest thing when buying any of them, and I'm in a Cali T now myself, is making sure you don't forego something you can't live without. For instance carbon. If you want CF, it's pretty important to make sure you at least have the steering wheel in factory carbon. The rest you can add later fairly reasonably. If the absolute state of the art suspension is important to you, make sure your acquisition has the handling package. I've never cared because whatever you buy now is better now stock than the last model with handling speciale, and I'd rather have a comfortable ride and save a few bucks.

Be a big diff having the Cali T after the 328. It's going to seem really, really civilized. The hardest thing to get used to is forgiving myself for driving in Auto. I drive it in manual plenty, but half the time I'm in auto and it just doesn't matter anymore. Really took some getting used to. :) And the reliability is just off the charts. Great car.

Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  3. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Outstanding. That is what I am hoping for. Sounds like you had the 612 when the kids were young. On vacation now but need to take my girls up to one of the cars near me and make sure they fit in the back. Hopefully they do otherwise the master plan falls apart.

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You will love the Cali T, 5&7 will work for awhile. CarPlay was indeed available, l like the carbon fiber wheel and driver zone (paddles & tach surround) I find the standard suspension & handling excellent! Hi-Power Stereo option is ok. I love the 20 inch forged diamond cut wheels (8K option)
    Enjoy the hunt!

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah my kids were like 4 and 7 when I got the 612. I picked up the first Cali, a '13 a few years later and I did find while shopping that the carbon fiber racing seats had a fatter shell and had significantly less legroom in back than the standard seats. I don't know if that's the same on the Cali T but it's a good bet. I've never checked out a Cali T with the carbon seats. Definitely a sticking point to watch for if you want to use the back seats. But with the standard seats in mine, I had 2 seventh grade boys and another dad with me on our way to Cars and Coffee last weekend and everyone was fine. My son sat behind me while I was driving and he's probably 5 foot 6 at this point? I'm 5' 11".

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah the upgrade stereo is actually pretty good for stock in these things. I had to add a compact subwoofer but it's perfectly acceptable now. If I had it to do over though I would have built a custom box for the sub.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    I never thought I would enjoy the interior carbon fiber parts. But after a 18 months of Cali T ownership , I really enjoy the feel and look if the CF. The more the better.

Exterior:
    20” Diamond forged wheels - must have

InterIor:
    Apple CarPlay - I would not get this again.
    Carbon fiber driver zone plus LED - must have
    Carbon fiber central bridge - must have
    US visibility package - cameras are not that great but nice to have -
    Magnaride suspension - a definite must have. Make a big difference.

The 2+2 gives you great flexibility with kids or luggage. Taking the kids for a ride is great fun. Around age 10, they get too big for the backseat. So enjoy the good times now.

Good luck on the search

tomc likes this.
  8. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Outstanding. Thanks so much for the information everybody. I'm looking at 4 cars and just trying to get all the information I can. After my vacation is done I need to make sure our girls can fit in the backseat. I'll keep you all posted. Talked to the mx supervisor at my local dealer, he has looked after our 328, he said as long as all the preventative maintenance is up-to-date I should be good. It sounds like there are no real big issues with the California T.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I like the base wheels the most. I know I'm in the minority, but they just remind me more of my american muscle roots.

10. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    I am looking at buying a 2015 with 11,000 miles on it. As I understand it Ferrari covered all service for the first five years. What kind of things do I need to look for? The gentleman has all the maintenance records and I'll get those in a week or two and look through them. My assumption is everything that needed to be done has been done since it was on the service plan. I am planning on getting a PPI. I hear those are hard to come by these days due to liability. Any issues with the Ferrari dealer in Fort Lauderdale for getting the PPI? I am guessing it could potentially need tires with 11,000 miles/being a 5.5 year old car. How much are the standard tires the Cali T came with? Bet it is around $2,000 a set. Thanks for the help everyone.

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    2K for a set is about right if you get MPS4S or similar high performance tires.

I'd ask also about the age of the battery. If it's too old, replace it as well.

T

12. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Fantastic. Thanks for the info. When we bought the 328 18 years ago it needed a major service right away which was over $6000. Would a California T coming up on six years old need any major service?

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    In the US Ferrari includes the scheduled services for the first seven years, so you should be fine. There is nothing on the California T that would equal a belt service on an older Ferrari in terms of labor and dollars. You want to make sure all the scheduled maintenance is up to date and was performed on time -- it has to be done within a certain "window" annually based on the car's original in-service date. If any of the scheduled maintenance was skipped, you may have difficulty adding a factory New Power warranty to the car at the Ferrari dealer, should you choose to do so.

If you can look through the history of the car, watch for roof problems -- they can be hard to trace and correct -- or transmission issues, and see if you can get a read on the wear on the brake pads and rotors. They are supposed to last the life of the car but they are extremely expensive to replace and if one of the previous owners took the car to the track it can affect the wear on the brakes.

Also a good idea to use your local Ferrari dealer or experienced independent to install new tires if you need them ... you might pay a little more but if you go to the local discount tire place and they manage to chip a rotor removing the wheels ... look out.

14. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Great info. I will look through the mx records.

15. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Standard pre-owned car buying advice applies: get the absolute best one you an afford and be patient to ensure you get the options you want. If you want the carbon fiber steering wheel with the LEDs, don't settle for a car that doesn't have it. I was very, very lucky to find a 2015 California T in the exact spec I would have ordered it if I had had the pleasure. TdF Blu with Cuoio interior, diamond stitching, full leather, cameras, Magneride, etc. Also make sure you can get the New Power warranty.

Good luck!

16. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Thanks. I thought all California T's had Magneride. As usual, thanks everyone for clearing up my wrong assumption. This 2015 I am looking at does not have it so will be a no go.

17. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nearly half the Cali T I was considering did not have magneride. So instead of automatically writing them off I drove both and made up my own mind. IMHO the stock Caili T suspension and handling was well sorted (upgraded) from the Califorinia and I am not sure why it keeps coming up as a must have?
    Help me out Magneride Cali T owners. tell me WHY you deem it a must have? The bumpy road button? get real,
    Change my mind

18. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Good point. Magneride was a MUST HAVE on my list, as were CF steering wheel, 20" diamond cut wheels, Scuderia shields, yellow calipers, yellow tach, stitched horsies and folding back seats. I got more than that, and I really like the electric seats, US visibility package and aluminum footrests. As for the Magneride, I haven't touched it since I got the car in March, but I'll still plug it cause it's a cool button and so someone will buy my car over one without it lol. Image Unavailable, Please Login

SLViper1 likes this.
  19. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Sorry for the delay, just got back from vacation. All terrific info. I really appreciate it. I’m looking at several different ones. Based on previous threads for trade-ins it seems like the dealer pays 20 to $30,000 less than the ask price, especially at none ferrari dealers. Does that sound about right. I see recommendations to offer anywhere from 8 to 12% below asking price. I saw one today and it’s a really nice car with low miles and all the options I want. The interior is not the exact interior but it’s close. In my opinion they are asking a reasonable price but it is about 10-15,000 more than I really can afford to spend. What are your thoughts? Thanks

20. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve

21. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Terrific. That is kind of what I was thinking. You get what you pay for. I'll keep you posted on what ends up happening. Thanks

22. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    When I was shopping last June, I was looking at Ferrari dealers only -- wanted the factory warranty -- and my experience was they were not budging from their asking prices on nice, well-optioned cars. I think there's a lot of demand for Californias right now. Might be different later in the year. Independent dealers may be another story -- but the price of adding the warranty might make you come out about the same in the end, because you will pay for the Ferrari dealer to inspect it, pay for the warranty plus any required repairs or updates to meet the New Power requirements. Which is why the dealer cars are more expensive, too, because to be CPO "eligible" they have to go through that process, as well.

23. nugget

nugget Karting

Jan 4, 2004
    Great information. So if I buy it from a non-Ferrari dealer maybe I can talk to my local dealer to see what it would take to get the CPO. I'm gonna try and take it there to get a PPI and will find out tomorrow if they even do that.

24. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

The Cali T is a really reliable car. Mine is like a swiss watch and has had zero gremlins.

25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Year and miles? Plus pics!
    T