812 GTS driver feedback please. | FerrariChat

812 GTS driver feedback please.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by khal360, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Hi all. A good number of 812 GTS have been delivered and seem to be on the road.

Please share your driving impressions specifically regarding handling dynamics, sound, and overall feel.

I’m sure we’re all looking forward to your thoughts.

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Yes please! Also, it's strange that we haven't seen more automotive journalist reviews. The only detailed one I've seen to date is Shmee (Youtube)

The GTS was released at the same event as the F8 spider in Sept 2019; there are already plenty of F8 spider reviews out there. I guess for some reason Ferrari decided to prioritise the F8 spider in terms of press vehicles. Hopefully we hear more about the GTS in the next few weeks!

F2003-GA, nimamd and khal360 like this.
  3. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Exactly! I'm surprised that despite so many 812 GTS delivered to the customers, there are still no press reviews! There are some Asian reviews on YouTube, but they are not in English.
    Feedback from those who have received the car would be greatly appreciated! :)

4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Haha...totally agree...when someone posts a delivery pic, I'm always like tell us what you think. Sometimes they respond and say the car is getting ppf'd and they will post after they get it back...but it hasn't happened yet. lol. at this rate, i might be the first to post when my car gets here in a few weeks. haha

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Mine is in and at the dealer but I will not get it until this weekend or possibly next weekend due to travel on my end but will post when’s do. I think I have the first at my dealer in CA so not sure how many customer cars have actually been delivered in the states. I know more have been in Europe. I told my 17 year old son we should do a video compare with the SF....he seemed onboard and has a brilliant wit so maybe it will happen. (will sell it but may keep for a couple of weeks to see the differences).

of2worlds, KarlA69 and nimamd like this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Why the purchase then?

Napoli likes this.
  7. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Fantastic! In particular I’m interested to know how much the sound has been affected by the GPF filter. Looking forward to seeing more posts under this thread! :)

8. donj

donj Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2011
    California
    Congratulations on your GTS! Is it available for viewing at FoSV?

RamsHmb likes this.
  9. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I feel like the GTS is just really low numbers. Anyone have an idea of how many of these are actually being delivered?

10. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Keep in mind, it is very early days. First customer cars were scheduled for mid-2020 in most markets, but delayed due Ferrari factory shut down. They are starting to arrive now in UK, continental Europe, and the US. I'd estimate that by year end a few hundred cars will have been delivered.

11. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    I’m sure a few cars like the one in Dulac’s collection have a few hundred kms on them by now.
    Come on guys let’s here some comments!
    My Rosso fuoco is 9 months away and would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi guys. I was a passenger in the GTS today in London - my dealer took me for a spin. Obviously not as good as driving myself, but it did allow me to get a first hand impression:
    - The car looks stunning in person. It was in the launch colour (Grigio GTS) and has more wow factor than the 812 SF. It does look a little awkward from some angles (e.g. rear three quarter view) , but on the whole I think it's striking and cool
    - The sound is definitely different to the 812 SF (non-GPF). Anyone who says it's not different either has not heard the GTS in person, or doesn't know what an 812 sounds like. Now, does that mean it's worse? Hmmmm. The GTS is definitely more muffled, a bit 'boomier' and not as raspy or loud as the 812. I'm convinced this is the impact of the GPF. I prefer the 812 sound. However, there are three mitigating factors (1) I've heard from a GTS owner that the sound improves with mileage, perhaps due to GPF material burning off (?) (2) the open roof experience obviously makes it seem louder and more dramatic and (3) I think after market solutions which replace the standard rear boxes and add an x pipe should help make it less muffled and louder. This assumes the GPF is left alone (removing which may be possible but requires a proper engineering solution from someone like Novitec). Combining those three things, I think the sound should be OK
    - Rear visibility is good. Having said that, I am tall and was in the standard seats (in which you sit higher), so could comfortably see over the back of the car (with the roof down).

Would be very interested to hear the opinion of others who have driven it!

Karl

IloveGT, Bas, uhn2000 and 7 others like this.
  13. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Meant the SF...selling it and keeping the GTS but will have a couple of weeks of overlap.

Solid State and F2003-GA like this.
  14. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    It should be. It is being detailed and available for pick up tonight so I imagine it will be on the floor. Earliest I will get it is this weekend but most likely the flowing weekend. Jason is out for a week but I am sure someone can get you access if it’s in the maintenance bay.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    If it's a grey one, it sounds like it's on the floor. Was going to come in this week to sign some paperwork on something and also check it out, but need to do FedEx paperwork instead due to some scheduling conflicts. Sounds like I might still be able to catch it next week!

of2worlds, RamsHmb and haroonok like this.
  16. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    That’s it! Grigio GTS with cuoio interior, diamond cut wheels. Pretty sure I went w black calipers. I won’t be grabbing now until a week from this Saturday...super bummed but not around to collect until then.

SECRET and of2worlds like this.
  17. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Saw the same GTS in London I imagine in South Ken. Have not driven it yet but sat in it. I saw it in Maranello at the launch as well and my thoughts haven’t changed. It is a pretty car but IMHO not as pretty as a Superfast. Just my view. To me the car was designed as a GT berlinetta and the open top is a bit of an afterthought. What does bother me is the cabin is severely reduced in size to the Superfast which is wonderfully spacious for long road trips with all the space behind you and a real boot space which is reduced on the GTS to allow for the folding roof. If I crave open top motoring which is quite limited in UK, I will keep my beautiful Superfast for long trips and buy a good 458 Spider in addition. Basically with the depreciation on the Superfast, 2 cars for the price of a new GTS...and no waiting. I have the GPF filter on my Superfast and it’s true that over time (and a few track days) the real V12 rasp comes through. No issues with the sound at all. And I don’t need to mention the naturally aspirated V8 on a 458 with the roof down. Delicious!

IloveGT, LMH and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Just picked up my car in the UK. Can’t talk now, but the news is good when I finally get time to tell you all!!! :)

19. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Amen brother! I have a 458 Spider and an 812SF.

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #20 Lukeylikey, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Ok, so drove it a decent way (80 miles) over mainly country roads. First, I’m delighted with the path we chose for this car because I think our approach really suits the character of the car. This is a real throwback to the past, a modern take on the Daytona Spider. We chose, what to me is a real 70’s theme - gold wheels, Daytona sports seats and colours that I remember from the 70’s. I only put the hood up when I put it away, but I did notice a spec mistake. The roof is not leather unless you spec it. I completely forgot about that. Why is that not standard? Hopefully it won’t bother me because there is so much to look forward to with this car.

First, it is certainly quieter than the 812 Superfast. If that’s all that matters to you, you’ll be disappointed. It’s not by much, but I felt the coupe was a bit louder, marginally more aggressive on the downchanges - not by much though. But......there is something more important here. The sound has a different character to the Superfast. The coupe has a modern V12, high pitched howl. The GTS is different. It is reminiscent of old V12 racers like maybe a 250 SWB and sitting in front of an open cockpit it feels just right.

It is the first time I have seen the car in the flesh. The photos hide the surfacing detail of the rear. I had thought the car was bit clumsy around the rear but it really isn’t. There is much more rounding at the rear than I expected. The expanse of metal between the buttresses seems wide, flat and boring to me, except it isn’t. It is curved and has depth and form. The car looks sensational, a real surprise to me.

Cars are best considered as a whole piece, rather than just simplistic elements. It’s why it’s a bit fatuous to simply talk about the volume of noise from the exhaust IMO. The GTS is a car that really works. Why on earth did Ferrari wait 50 years from the Daytona spider is a far better question than why they gave the GTS a GPF. The chassis is really stiff, much more than I expected. Put it this way, the Pista Spider seems to have a noticeable amount of additional flex compared with the GTS. The buttresses behind your head feel right, they serve to ensconce you in the car and make the whole thing feel intimate. The car handles very much like the excellent coupe and with the hood down the whole thing just works brilliantly. It is one of those cars that is a sweet spot or a ‘peach’. It is probably the best road trip car I have in my garage (and I have a few really good options for that these days).

it combines solid engineering, great looks, a nostalgic engine note and sublime handling and pace. I love it. My plan has been to do the next two long trips I have planned in it and then sell it. But this car will be very hard to sell without repeatedly asking yourself the question “am I doing the right thing?” For now, I’m not going to worry about that, because this car’s character is one that will make me focus on the ‘here and now’.- let tomorrow worry about itself, “you just come and drive...”. Maranello are the masters at this and the GTS is from the top-drawer.

Attached Files:

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Even from the wrong side of the road the GTS sounds like a wonderful experience even if 'sound' isn't the driving experience behind the enjoyment of this amazing ride! Thank you for the pep talk to nonbelievers and equally the converted!!!

David Begg and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks! The only bad part of your review is it makes me want to drive down and get mine tonight....but looks like I will have to wait a bit longer

23. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Great write up and great spec you made with your intentions of historical reference. Thanks for writing it for us.

24. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Happy to make sure it fires up and lives up to the review from @Lukeylikey, @RamsHmb. Just say the word!

RamsHmb likes this.
  25. Jerry Wei

Jerry Wei Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    USA
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthusiast
    Hi, I've driven my friends brand new 812 GTS, it's basically a better 812 coupe in my opinion. It drives the same, and looks better in my opinion. Obviously it's quieter. If you're looking to order one, I'd highly recommend. Sure an allocation is hard to get but a great car in general. Very excited for mine.

of2worlds likes this.