The arduous task of removing 20 yr old film | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The arduous task of removing 20 yr old film

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Still at it. Not quite halfway home on good. Another 90 minutes at least.

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    don’t put PPF on your car. :D

Dom likes this.
  3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    All off. Now for the glue removal.

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

You've just made me reconsider taking it to a shop, lol.

anunakki and Husker like this.
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    AandSC, E60 M5 and Skidkid like this.
  7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Looking great

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm giving up for the day. I'm going to let all of the nasty debris dry overnight, vac it up in the a.m., polish out the fenders and hood, and I should be good to go.

There are not shortcuts on this. The stuff doesn't peel off. You scrape it off, bit by bit, with a plastic scraper. You need to buy a dozen scrapers as they go dull and quit working. I also trashed my first steamer and had to go for another. This was a $150 project in parts. You need lots of terry cloth, rubber gloves, a gallon of goof off, and an orbital polisher. Some ibuprofen when you're done.

anunakki likes this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #35 KC360 FL, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Husker likes this.
  10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Ibuprofen... Hell, I had help from my friend Jim Beam :D Good for you for sticking with it. No pun intended (well maybe...)

Husker likes this.
  11. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I recently stopped at the body shop recommended by the local Ferrari dealer, and they were removing the PPF from another brand of car that had it applied some years before. They were not steaming, or I did not see a steamer, but they were scraping like it was old paint on the side of a weathered barn. They said it's common and they will have to sand it all down and repaint. Scared the hell out of me as I wanted to have my PPF refreshed. After reading the above I might try my crappy little steamer and find an area on the front bumper to test. I'm surprised the Goof Off did not harm the paint.

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    You can find anything at garage sales. My dad cabbaged an old Honda Trail 90 for 50 bucks once. Restored it and it’s in my garage. Cool little bike.

KC360 FL likes this.
  13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Well I can tell you from my 911 Porsche years, that the film the factory applied to the protruding rear quarters was a real bear to remove if left on for more than 4 or 5 years. The quarters heated up pretty well with the rear engine air cooled six-- really cooked that film. So yes sometimes it can be a real PIA to remove.

The shop you mention may be going about it the wrong way but to be sure, if it's been on a car for over 10 or 20 years, well, that's a nightmare. Still with patience, you should be able to remove it without paint damage. The key word here is should. Not saying you always can.

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I guess I don’t get the math. A fellow pays $ thousands to protect his paint, but in the process of removing the PPF, it ruins the paint, so the car needs repainting. What was gained?

Dean Palmer likes this.
  15. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    True story but off topic... Went to a garage sale and spotted what I knew was an old 356 Porsche with wood shelves built all around it in the one car garage. I talked to the old guy and he said I could crawl around under the shelves to look at it. So I did and discovered it was a 1955. It was in really sorry shape and was somewhat disassembled. The guy told me it was once raced at Daytona Beach and the severity of the rust kind convinced me he was telling the truth. I could have bought it (back about 10 years or so) for $4500. I passed--- like a dummy! How's that go--- if I knew then what I know now...:(

Husker likes this.
  16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You can ride that thing anywhere. When you hit a rock too big to ride over, just stand up and lift the bike over then continue. Super fun.

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    100% agree. I had to remove the PPF on my 997 rear bumper after getting a love tap. What a pain in the butt.

When all is said and done, I think you are better off just getting the bumper/hood/whatever repainted every couple of years.

kes7u likes this.
  18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Robb, kes7u, JL350 and 3 others like this.
  19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Yes. This bike has sat for 10 years and I know zero about bikes, but I’m going to find someone to restore it. It’s a great momento of my dad.

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nice work!!

21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    ditpixs, Robb, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    WOW! it looks great!

23. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks great, good job. I smiled at the ibuprofen comment. I don't understand PPF either - I think it's just a psychological thing. The other option is to have it removed and reapplied at 2-3 year intervals but of course that carries its own risks, and additionally it distorts a nice paint finish.

kes7u likes this.
  24. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Looks great Husker! You are braver than me. :)