I am now a Ferrari owner! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I am now a Ferrari owner!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great looking car! Enjoy!

2. JCap

JCap Rookie

Apr 26, 2018
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Jeffery Capezzuti
    Thanks! I think they’re all beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Great looking car, love the interior! Enjoy it....

4. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Thanks! I am taking it in on Monday to actually have a protective film put on it but will also give it a satin finish. Hopefully, it will look even better when I get it back!

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good plan. First owner of my Cali had front and mirrors wrapped. I added doors and quarter panels. Good peace of mind, then you can just drive it without worries...T

6. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    at any level,,
    we are a club.

belissimo

tomc likes this.
  7. Windy City Ferrari

Jul 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Hey Russell, I came from a Tesla as well and feel the exact same way. Can you confirm if this BT adapter worked for you?

8. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I was having some bizarre issues with it, so I sent it back.

What I ended up doing was actually buying this (Apple Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - White (MD823ZM/A)) and using an old iPhone that I had as my main point now. I have the 30 pin iPod connector stock in my glove box. I keep the phone in the glove box and have it connected to wifi. Now, whenever I am home, I can just update my playlist in iTunes, and it synchs. Not the best situation, but it works the best right now.

I talked to my audio guy about upgrading the radio, and it seems like way more work than I would like.

Are you still thinking about upgrading your radio?

9. Windy City Ferrari

Jul 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Bummer, I’ve heard the BT adapters can be hit or miss. I was thinking going a similar route with the adapter and my wife’s old iPhone.

I was heavily considering swapping out for a better unit with wireless CarPlay, but I am looking at about $4.5k for a new unit, amp, and some upgraded component speakers with most of that being labor. Not sure I am willing to go that crazy.

Thanks for confirming!

10. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I say go the old iPhone route for a bit and see if it meets your needs. If not, upgrade at that point. That's what I am doing right now. I will run it this way for a few months and see if I can live with it.

I did end up taking my car to a shop yesterday to get something fixed on my wrap and he had a Portofino next to mine. Seeing their head unit really made me want to upgrade mine. :-D

11. Windy City Ferrari

Jul 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Agreed, that head unit and screen size is night and day. Anxiously awaiting my Apple adapter, I’ve had it with the radio lol.

12. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    I went the same route but got a lightning extension cable so my phone sits on my side of the center tunnel. I was able to tuck the wiring above the climate control switches so its' almost invisible.

13. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
  14. Windy City Ferrari

Jul 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    This is genius, can you please share a link to the cable and possibly even some pics sharing how you hid the wire or ran it from the glovebox? Thanks for the idea!

15. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Quick question on it. How does it work when you turn the car off? I had one before, not this one, that would stay on and keep my phone connected to it while in the house. Was also hard to connect back to it when I got in the car. Just acted really weird.

16. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    My BMW would cut power to the bluetooth module to save the battery from draining so it automatically disconnected when I locked the car.

17. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    So you need this type of cable https://www.amazon.com/EMATETEK-Extender-Connector-Charging-Extension/dp/B07PSFHZP8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lightning+extension+cable&qid=1596743267&refinements=p_85:2470955011,p_72:2661618011,p_n_srvg_2947266011:2569815011&rnid=2947266011&rps=1&sr=8-3
    as it will pass audio and charge,
    This is how I ran the wire - I pulled it out to show the path but I actually have it tucked in
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Windy City Ferrari likes this.
  18. Windy City Ferrari

Jul 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Thanks again for sharing. I am going to try both and return the one I like least.