488 Pista vs 360CS and 430 Scuderia | FerrariChat

488 Pista vs 360CS and 430 Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by JB1997, Aug 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    So a week or so ago I posted in the 488 forum considering a Pista but after seeing and hearing one at my local dealer, I’m not sure. I’ve realized that I could get both a 430 Scuderia and a 360CS for the same price as a Pista. Was wondering if any owners here could give a review of the Scuderia and CS? I may just buy both of those instead and later on buy a Pista.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I can see from a pure enjoyment aspect two experiences is better then one.

3. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    currently have a CS in garage... and Scud on its way to be its garage mate! so thats my answer!

LARRYH and Bas like this.
  4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    thats a no brainer 2 for 1

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    hmmm...... two old f cars vs a new one?

answer depends...

If you want a turnkey f car experience..... with warranty.... then get the new car.
    The main/upkeep/downtime extra effort involved in having 2 TWO older f car will take some dedication.

it will depend on what kind of f car ownership experience you want....

after being the caretaker of my 01 modena for the past 2 yrs.... I would not want to double that effort/expense on two older f cars.

6. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ive had my CS since 2010. I still love it. It’s not going anywhere. I’ve never driven a Pista. I wish I saw the point in buying a car so outrageously faster than the roads and laws allow.

Bas likes this.
  7. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada

Skip to 520 for just the CS vs Scud vs Speciale vs Pista, but whole conversion is interesting and kind of echos why I won't ever "trade up" from F430 and get a few cars instead to fill different means.

Having driven the Scud on multiple occasions I'm not actually convinced it's double the car a well sorted F430 with ccb is. I think it gets most of its price from rarity and most of the performance gains from having stickier oem tyres. And for nearly the difference in price I was able to get a DBS manual, fills the void of a manual and also GT for trips and taking the gf out. If one car is in the shop I always have another one to use. You could also look at FFs for V12 GT role for near difference in price too

Nicky_Santoro, Bas and DOWORKFCAR like this.
  8. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It’s more than tires and rarity. I went shopping convinced that a 458 was right for me being the last naturally aspirated Pininfarina screamer V-8 with a 9000 RPM redline (and good tires). And then I drove a few. While it was an incredible performer, there was no drama, and hardly and driver involvement. It was significantly less involving to me than my highly modified Vantage.

Knowing I wanted an NA mid engine Ferrari I went back to the drawing board. I drove a 430 and (to me) it was about as soft and uninvolving as the 458, just slower. Then, thanks to the help of this forum I decided to give the scud a go. Everything is more of an experience. Sound, looks, interior, engine bay, less weight is felt and then there is the brute force of the 8500rpm super fast head snapping clutch. That alone was worth it to me for a special weekend toy experience. The Scud is still a somewhat fast car even by today’s standards that makes the driver involved (read analog).

Is it worth twice the price? When you reach the point when you are near the top of any hobby it always becomes exponentially more expensive to eek out those few extra points/experience. To me it was.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    loved the cs. regret selling it every day.

10. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    As a 430 owner the description of it as “soft and uninvolving” even in a relative sense is absurd.

cole328, Ray Smith, Flea7 and 6 others like this.
  11. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    All this and for a good F430 specced how I want would be around 130K. I’d rather just spend the extra 60-70K for a Scud especially since the Scud has been a dream car of mine for a long time. If I were going 16M I’d have to really consider whether it’s worth it but I can get a 360CS for 190 and a Scud for right around 200 no problem.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think you will wish you got the Pista after you buy the CS and the Scud. I love them all but Pista is on another level in every way but this is a personal choice.

13. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    I will without a doubt buy a Pista as well within a year or so but just based on my experience previously owning a 488 Spider and these comments, I’d definitely say I’m going Scud + 360CS. No matter what within a year or 2 I’ll own all the V8 special editions.

imahorse likes this.
  14. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Upkeep on the CS will be considerably more than on the Scud which will be considerably more than the pista. The CS sounds and looks the best in my subjective opinion, the Pista is on a different level in terms of performance. The Scud is a bargain these days. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice here. Just decide what you want.

15. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    The problem with the F430 is that a lot of them aren't properly looked after. A car that has aged out pirelli's (or bridgestones) that are one or two generations old and hasn't has an alignment in a decade is going to be a poor driving experience. Going with CCB also sharpens suspension vs the more common steels. Lastly the manatinno position has a huge effect on how the car feels. Normal mode is soft and unresponsive. Sport mode sharpens things significantly. Race mode makes the car feel like a go-kart.

I've driven Scud on track on two separate occasions and to me the only noticeable difference is the increased cabin acoustics and harder shifts. 20hp and 200 lbs is not huge, especially if not tracking. I understand the rarity and specialness with having a special series V8, especially if it's a dream car then it doesn't need to be justified at all. But for most, the near double price difference can be used towards some seriously good cars. To me F430 + 599/FF/Cali/V12 Manual Aston is better option then just a single Scud

16. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    not sure why so many say this about upkeep on CS's (or 360's).. There maintenance is almost exactly the same... less every 3 years having belts done ($2000) so Add'l $700 per year compared to SCUD (430's).. plus on CS's (360's) no E-DIFF to deal with.

Cant imagine for anyone wanting one of these cars that $700 per year is going to sway you one way or the other..

just my $.02

cant really go wrong with whatever you choose!!

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    $700/year - LOL! In a perfect world.

These cars are 15-20 yr old, and dep on the unit purchased.... allot of main has been deferred.....

and even if the main is 'up to date'.... silly things $$ are breaking on these old f cars.

my short list:
    blinker relay module
    susp module
    susp accel sensor
    stickies
    water pump
    clutch block
    alarm module
    alarm siren 2x
    headers (white powder coming from outer sheath)
    muffler (white powder coming from outer sheath)
    Mass Air Meters
    Oil in upper intake (not overfilled.... in my care)
    Upper intake gaskets
    Fuel Inj
    Coils
    Sp Plugs
    MM's
    Ash Tray fell apart
    Headliner fell off
    Paint correction, and replace 20 yr old PPF
    brakes - pads, rotors, ss lines
    tires
    Drivers window cable mechanism (broke)
    Dash vents cracked / warped
    Dash bubble
    Frunk - leather straps
    Wheel recondition
    Alignment
    Coolant flush
    1 major belt svc

I had all of this in my 2 yrs of ownership, and I had a PPI by a reputable svc shop in Dallas.

I'm not crying about it..... it's an old car..... but I would like to hear from the $700/yr owners>>>>> perhaps I'm doing something wrong...... very very wrong ;)

brookliner7 likes this.
  18. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark

this isnt maintenance!

19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Call it what you like.
    Just be prepared to add money to an old f car

things break on these old cars

brookliner7 likes this.
  20. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Not trying to pick a fight.. But here's the opposite end of your spectrum on my CS

yearly fluids
    every 3rd year belts (plugs)
    battery every 3-4 years
    and i did replace sticky parts
    Tires every 5 -6 years

Thats is in 16 years!! and 16K miles

im original owner, not sure if that makes a difference on these cars?? but im guessing it does! Maintenance has never been differed and i use who i feel is the Best INDY in the business Eugenio.

Mediterranean and DOWORKFCAR like this.
  21. jra85

jra85 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I believe there's several members here that own Pistas and have subsequently added a CS and/or Scuderia, so that carries some weight regarding the experience they offer!

22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    mark - no fight here! another data point for you all that's all.
    perhaps my car is an anomaly...... but I do want to share the 'possible' outcome.

oh wait! orig owner! yes that makes all the difference IMHO.

unfortunatley after these cars change hands a few times, put on a few miles, and age...... the main/repairs pile up..... pot buyers just be aware........

unless you are lucky to convince an orig owner (like Marknkidz) to sell :)

marknkidz and JB1997 like this.
  23. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've driven a Pista. It's fast, but it doesn't feel fast if you know what I mean. Me personally, I like something to feel violent and make my booty hole pucker up. The Pista didn't do that. But, it sure does look nice inside and out!

Flea7, Freddan and marknkidz like this.
  24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    2 cars vs 1, is like being able to have a wife and a mistress and get away with it

25. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #25 DeTomasoGTS74, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    In your post you started a month ago you asked if it made sense to switch to the Scuderia suspension settings. Reply back you got from one of the members with an F430 was that they switched their car over to scud springs and geo and it completely transformed their 430.

I drove all cars in the race setting and tires were PS4S on the 430. I still maintain that to me the Scud feels, looks, shifts, performs, and sounds completely different than the F430. That said I appreciate the argument of two cars. I very much enjoy my Aston as well.

To say 200 pounds does not matter in a car couldn’t be farther from the truth. Removing weight improves every performance aspect and is more important than just adding power in how a car “feels”. Manufactures go to great lengths here. Porsche charges $18,000 to save just 14 pounds on the GT3RS. My vantage is completely transformed with 225lbs removed.

Everyone uses their car for different reasons. Some just want to be comfortable with the top down and care who sees them. Others want hardcore performance at the expense of comfort and would rather drive when the sun is barely up in the hills on Sunday morning by themself.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

marknkidz likes this.