Value of the AFS headlight option | FerrariChat

Value of the AFS headlight option

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Aug 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What are your thoughts regarding the AFS front headlight option?

Is it a worthwhile
    And reliable system?

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I have it in my 458 Spider (came with the lifter which is very necessary where I live), and it seems pretty good. There is a really good discussion at AFS Lighting system, specifically a video of someone driving at night.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  3. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I have it on the F car. I don’t really notice it. All my other vehicles have it and I drive those more at night and I notice it.

I like it

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I have it, but hardly notice it. There are probably other more interesting and useful options on the 458 than the AFS system, imvho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Don’t notice it.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've probably only driven once or twice at night and didn't notice any benefit. I have have it very useful in two Porsche SUV DD's. Regardless, AFS is required with the front lifter, which for me was a must have. Many will disagree with the latter, but IMO the question of usefulness is area dependent.

7. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, here’s my two pence... I like the AFS system on my 458 Italia and I’ve noticed it many times whilst driving at night. It is especially noticeable in tight turns on the twisty bits, or when making blind/90 degree turns.

When I’m driving in the more rural areas to the north (typically two lane blacktops with no street lighting), it is especially useful on the pitch black twisty bits, to help avoid deer and other critters. It gives you a few split seconds of additional visual info when you need it...

In the developed areas with well lit motorways it’s not as noticeable, but it is still usually discernible. On the whole, I’m glad I have it and if I were in the market for another F-car, I would pay more for a car with that option. Love the AFS and I love my 458!!!

Cheers!

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    i think if your car has the front lift, then AFS is a required option

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    My F8 spider spec doesn’t have the front lift because I don’t think I will need it. It does have the AFS.
    (I don’t have it in my 458 and my daily driving patterns haven’t changed much over the last 125,000 miles)

Nevertheless, if it improves safety when night driving, I’m in. If it is only helpful with the front lifter then I may delete it.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you have it on other cars then you are less likely to take notice of it. Otherwise it does provides better lighting in certain conditions. As far as reliability, no one has posted it failing if I remember but it likely would be expensive to fix years into it. Same as most things on the car.

11. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    I have the AFS and the lifter, I do use/rely on them both. I live in the Hollywood hills and have curves and incline all the way up to my house.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. I like it but I wouldn't order as a stand alone option.

I wouldn't turn down a car that didn't have AFS. Nice to have, but not necessary.

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yes, I think the opposite triggers the requirement.
    • Optioning AFS2 does not require ELEV
    • Optioning ELEV requires AFS2
    In the US, AFAIK, this was the situation with the 458 and 488.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  14. Tech Nerd

Tech Nerd Karting

May 23, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I was told the same by my dealer. ELEV requires AFS but not the opposite.

AlfistaPortoghese and MalibuGuy like this.
  15. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I have the lift so AFS came with it. I knew I would take the 458 out of 4x4 mode with lowering springs so lifter was a must.

The AFS is plus for me as it is very easy to "outdrive" you headlights. I find the brightness is lacking compared to my Jag or wife's BMW X5M so having AFS would be an option I would order as I'm accustomed to the headlights lighting the turns

MalibuGuy likes this.
  16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    ELEV requires AFS because headlight aim needs to be maintained when the lift is activated. Even though only temporary and thus unlikely to blind an oncoming motorist, it’s still required.

AFS is effective and nice to have for night driving, especially if you no longer have the night vision of a 20 year old. Many owners don’t drive their Ferraris at night or in the rain though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    In automotive regulations AFS is mandatory with ELEV. Blind on coming traffic. Frankly that's BS . I would get more useful extra's rather than AFS if one didn't need/want AFS

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Frankly in your case specific its worth it . YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR :)

19. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Agree with that, AFS does extend your visibility when driving in poor/no light.