Rear Boot Lid Lip Inner Seal | FerrariChat

Rear Boot Lid Lip Inner Seal

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Aug 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Inside the rear boot lid lip of my car, in the channel just behind the trailing edge of the lip, there seems to have been a seal or sealant, perhaps rubber before, but now a hard, thick material, almost like undercoating. It seems the seal spanned the whole width, but sections fell off over time. Is this original? What was the purpose? What should I try to install on it?

Many thanks, and regards, Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #4 isuk, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    The original corner triangular sections (which are still on Andres car from the photo's) were made out of the same type of dense neoprene as the engine bulkhead mat. Dino Parts replacements used to be made out of regular foam I think from memory but if Stefan sees this post I'm sure he will be able to say what they are made from nowadays. There was a full width dense foam strip across the width of the lid as well to try to ensure a tighter seal with the slam panel it closes onto.

It's several years ago now but I think we measured the area and I bought the closest match of rectangular section rubber sponge profile from Cicognani and glued it into place.

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thank you, Tony, Iain! I wouldn’t have known about the seal until a piece fell off, hard as old undercoating. I wondered what the original material was.

I’ll clean out the gutter and find a rectangular rubber strip to fit. The triangular end pieces seem original, so I’ll leave them in place.

Advice much appreciated.

Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TonyL likes this.
  6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Good call Tony. The seal on the left looks like it is designed to run on the underside of the trunk lid as it has the recessed channel to allow it to sit on top of the rounded edge seal that fits to the slam panel.

pshoejberg likes this.
  8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    isuk likes this.
  9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many, many thanks, Tony, Iain, Peter, Andrew. A great help.

Andres

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    synchro likes this.
  12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks for the link to the earlier thread, Andrew.

in that thread, Matthias says the E series (mine) did not have the seal running the width of the boot lid. But my car, which is unrestored, has the thick, hard material I described earlier. It first not look like old rubber, and the car still has its other original rubber seals.

All that make me think what I have is some sort of undercoating or underseal that has hardened and fallen off in places. I wonder now if that’s original.

Andres

13. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    that seal goes a long way in preventing your trunk (and contents ) from smelling like your exhaust.

synchro likes this.
  14. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It certainly looks like a seal was glued under there and has disintegrated. What S/N is your Dino?

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, it’s possible, Andrew. The S/N is 4866.

Here is the piece that fell off. It looks like one side had a concave shape, but it is a hard, brittle solid material. I’ll probably buy the seal or find one that fits.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt likes this.
  16. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    A couple of my E series cars had the exact same condition of degraded seal on that part of the trunk lid Andres, pre-restoration, so I'm pretty sure they did have them fitted. It possibly disintegrated over time due to being a different type of sponge rubber material to the other seals.

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Iain. I’ll try to fabricate a seal to fill that strip.

Best,

Andres