612 manual six speed sells at RM Shift Monterey on 8/15 for $295M | FerrariChat

612 manual six speed sells at RM Shift Monterey on 8/15 for $295M

Discussion in '612/599' started by Kemp Stickney, Aug 20, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    For those that follow 612 prices this auction price at RM Shift Monterey which significantly doesn't include a 15% buyer's premium which would add another $44,250 to the price may be the highest auction price for a 2005 612 manual of late. This car was a less than 6000 mile example wearing Azzurro California with a dark blue interior. This car belonged to a friend and was very well taken care of.

For those of us who own a F1 612 we may not see this kind of a price anytime soon but do you really think a six speed should carry a 100% premium or more? Having driven my 2005 F1 612 some 4500 since purchasing it I can honestly say that I really enjoy driving the car long distance with the paddles and in sport mode. They say that all ships rise with the tide. If you have been on the fence it may be time to find a 612 that you can drive and enjoy! Stay well!

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that was a money laundering sale, unless i have missed something over the past 20 years

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. RichardGilmore

RichardGilmore Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Richard Gilmore
    Geeezus. How much could it possibly cost to retro my 2005 612 with 10k on the clock to a three pedal

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    #4 carguyjohn350, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Seriously.

At this price someone ought to get all the factory parts for the conversion, 3d scan them, 3d print them, and hang out a shingle doing conversions.

RichardGilmore likes this.
  5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’ve been helping a few people with v12 manual conversions lately. It’s getting painfully obvious that certain parts are getting immensely hard to find. I took apart a gearbox control plate this evening with a view to getting it scanned. It’s not the work of a moment though, as it’s really something with small margins for error.

Pretty safe to say though that the cost of converting is a fraction of the pretty crazy premium on this particular car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    That is the highest sale of any car on the planet ..ever.;)

7. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    $295,000,000? I think you have your number wrong.

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    M=1000, derivative of Roman numerals. K=1000 in metric.

brogenville likes this.
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    MMXX is a tough year ...

10. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
  11. AutoFanaticF355

AutoFanaticF355 Karting

Aug 13, 2020
    NY
    Full Name:
    Philip
    a 612 with gated manual is very rare just as much as a 2007 599 gated. I had the pleasure of fully restoring a black on black 2006 612 Manual 4 years back and even then I had to convince the owner the car was rare and worth the money to restore it, it was beat to hell. I also did the same on a red 2007 599 that sold for over $500k years back at auction. I now wonder how companies who are doing conversions to gated cars are going to fare with resale, would anyone here know any converted cars that sold and how they did?

12. Kemp Stickney

Kemp Stickney Rookie

Aug 27, 2017
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Kemp Stickney
    I have been told that about 200 612s were produced with manual out of a total production of about 3100 units. If true, that would be about 6.5% of the production. I know the car sold at RM recently and it was a very low mileage original car in great shape that had been pampered. I am not aware of any sales of converted F1 to manual cars selling at auction. Most often buyers want cars with original specs in tact. Brogenville above in a reply mentions he has worked on conversions so he should have some idea of what is involved and the cost. If you really didn't care about owning a car with original specs then a conversion might be the answer. I own a 2005 and haven't driven a later 612 with an F1. The only point of comparison I have is my daily driver is a 2017 Porsche 911 with a PDK. It is a bit of comparing apples and oranges but the way I would describe the difference is that the earlier F1 which I also only drive in sport mode with paddles (never in auto) is more of a primitive brute experience vs how seamless the PDK is. I am sure the later F1 transmissions improved over time but I have no first hand driving experience in a late 612 so I cant speak to that. Last word would be to suggest that anyone considering a 612 drive a few cars both older and later versions of the F1 transmissions to get a sense of whether you like the total driving experience before embarking on a conversion.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wow restoring a 10 yr old car isnt something you see all the time - can you show us some pics of before and after? very cool!