TPMS recommendation | FerrariChat

TPMS recommendation

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by dinoart, Aug 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I recently acquired a 2011 California. I am thinking of getting an extra set of Portofino wheels from a private party. However this set of wheels don't come with TPMS. Can anyone recommend any particular TPMS ? Aftermarket TPMS (under $200 vs. OEM $900) are ok or stay away from them? Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
    David

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi David
    I am sure this is not always the case, but I just did the same thing with new wheels and tyres, the tyre depo said they had ones that would work for £300 so they programed them to be the same but they did not work, I spent 2 nights driving around trying to get them to be accepted by the car, I ended up buying ones from Ferrari for £406 so not too much difference, 1/2 a mile down the road and they were working.
    Try to get OEM ones would be my advise, ask for best discount price they can do. I think they gave me 25% off.

3. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I bought 4 sensors a year ago from Amazon for $80. mine were failing I think because of age, new ones paired up with no problem.
    Copied from my invoice:
    1 of: MOBILETRON 4-Pack 433MHz TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensors (Clamp-in) Pre-Programmed for Audi/BMW/Mini/Porsche | OE Replacement | TX-S003-4
    Sold by: MORE SENSOR

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is worth noting that US cars use a 315 mhz sensor.

These,work with both 315 and 433 mhz systems, so should work no problem. More often than not, sensors simply fail to connect because they are not frequency matched.

TP.S sensors are really simple devices and Ferrari OE sensors are nothing special - just overpriced.

https://www.carid.com/smart-sensor/pro-programmable-multi-protocol-tpms-sensor-mpn-17-43042.html

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you for all the comments. I must choose the right ones because it's costly to remove and replace sensors ($20 x4 or more) for labor alone and lugging the wheels to the shop.

6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  7. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    STERCRAZY
    The $81 Amazon TPMS worked! No more than 3 minutes the tire icon error message disappeared on the TFT screen. I m glad I went this route since my mechanic quoted me $900 for the OEM. Thanks stercrazy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Forgot the quote

9. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    Stupid quesstion on this thread...bought a 2010 cali that does not have TPMS on it. If I just get the sensors can a mechanic get it up and running to show on the display or you had to have ordered the TPMS option originally?

10. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    The TPMS system requires the Ferrari TPMS ECU. It send the signals via CANBUS to the display which then interprets the signals. So in the bare minimum you would need to get the ferrari TPMS ecu to integrate. You may need to also update the speedometer can bus interpreter too. So if you want it on the ferrari display, have the dealer do it. The tire sensors are the cheap and easy part.

11. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    Got it and thanks. Checked with the dealer and seems sadly that part to do this on the display is not for sale anymore so looks like a 3rd party device for me now is only option.

12. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    you may be able to source the parts on eBay. There are plenty of wrecked californias. so you need the TPMS Sensor ECU with Bracket,the TPMS receiver sensors, the tire sensors, or aftermarket tire sensors, and to be safe buy a speedometer and speedometer can bus decoder. Even if you dont need the last 2, buying from eBay will still be cheaper.

Then go to a ferrari mechanic and have him install

13. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    Assuming even if I get all the parts in the image below it still would NOT work to show on the display as still need to get the speedometer/can bus decoder which has the TPMS UI installed in it right?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    If the speedometer canbus decoder is the same part number with and without the TPMS, then it has it in it already, same goes for speedometer. Ferrari has a small production line and they often make changes along the line as the models develop. Research on scuderia autoparts should have the part numbers, and may even have the parts you need.

15. testtest1234

testtest1234 Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    Amazing and thank you so much!