What Brand tire are you running on your 308 & why? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What Brand tire are you running on your 308 & why?

Discussion in '308/328' started by built2grind, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    16"? get the correct inspiration... ;)

ciao

2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    It's like Pirelli are trying to copy Ferrari with their own Classiche department.

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just purchased a new set of XWXs from Longstone in the UK. My tires had great tread left, but they were 9 years old. Didn’t feel comfortable pushing them very hard. Got them in less than a week, shipping was included!

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Unfortunately no, you won't get many years out of them - the max performance tires like the RE07R or RE71 (newest version is RE71R) have a limited age life, even if you never drove on them the rubber age hardens starting a year, two years max, after manufacture. By 4 years age they are no longer super grippy, but become pretty ordinary. By 6 or 7 years old, a max performance tire becomes harder to the point it has less grip than a cheap touring tire and gets unsafe for any emergency braking or sudden turns, or in wet weather.

You should check the date code on the side of your RE07R tires and see how old they are (Tire Rack tech article: TIRE TECH: Determining the Age of a Tire )

Cheers,
    Gordon

5. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    on my 2nd set of yokohama S drive tires for my 16 inchers, fantastic tire at a good price. under 100 bucks each

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport but they are about due for replacement on wear, not age. I got about 15,000 miles of spirited driving out of them. I was considering the Pirelli Rosso but I can't justify the price, they are like twice as much as all the others. So I'm planning to get the BFG Sport Comps. I have them on one of my Alfa's and I've liked them. Bottom line is that tire technology has advanced so much over the last 30 years that you really can't go wrong, all of them have performance specs that exceed the capabilities of the 308 chassis anyway so it really just boils down to what tread pattern you think is the most attractive. I think the BFG's look cool so that's what I'm going with.

[​IMG]

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    4right likes this.
  8. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena

Ran these tires for years on my 911 and really liked them. Even did some track days. Great overall tire and fair price.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Dated ??
    Yeah but if your going for period correct then that's exactly what you want.
    The construction and materials of those tyres have been brought up to modern day standard but the period look has been kept.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I understand what you're getting at, but I don't care in the least what tires look like. I want performance, reliability, good grip, longevity etc. The way the tread pattern looks aesthetically is the last thing I consider, if ever.

12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #38 Rosey, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    That's where you and I differ. I like the look of a period correct tyre on a classic car. So many classics of the 70' and 80's have very modern tyres with very modern tread and it just looks terrible. Like having a modern sat nav / CD stereo system in 246 Dino.

The cars chassis was designed for the tyres of the period and often modern tyres work against the cars handling not enhancing it.

I have fitted reissue Pirelli P7's to my 328 and couldn't be happier with the look and performance of the OEM tyre.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Compared to a more modern style of Michelin Pilot Sport.
    I know which one I'd prefer.

Attached Files:

• PS4.jpg
      PS4.jpg
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
    Thomas Magnum likes this.
  13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I run them on my 328 with Compomotive 17" wheels, and love them. They're just not "Italian cool" enough for some people. Great ratings on Tire Rack, great price, no complaints.

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Are these the tyres you are referring to?

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Why would anyone would fit a modern tyre like that on a 35 year plus classic car ??

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    No, they actually look like this. But not those wheels of course.

Attached Files:

18. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I have a set of the Firehawk Indy 500 tires on my Porsche, and they look like the picture in Post no. 40, not in Post no. 43.

These Indy 500 tires are sold as Bridgestones in other world markets, but they are branded as Firestone Indy 500's here, only in the States, as a marketing ploy.

These are a superb tire for their very modest money - all the 'Cool Kids' use them.

The set currently on my Porsche is the third set which I have bought. Very highly recommended.

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Can I ask what age the Porsche is?

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been using Kumhos for a number of years, and I'm not the only local Ferrari owner doing so. I tried a set of Continentals but they felt squirmy, almost as if they were trying to steer the car! I would have tried Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but they don't make them for 16" wheels.

21. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    986-Era Boxster S.

22. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    A bit of sleuthing shows that these Firestone tires are marketed as Bridgestone RE-003's outside of the US.:

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Because it's a very good tire, and also not $1200-1600 for a set.

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike