812 Oil Consumption | FerrariChat

812 Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by racerdj, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I just hit 1200 miles and decided to check the oil. 4K-4250 rpms for one minute, wait 2 minutes to check and I had to add 4 quarts to get it above the min mark. At least we have 13.9+/- quarts as full capacity. What is your consumption? I wish I had checked mine sooner.

wrs likes this.
  2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    4 qts in 1200 miles? There should be oil dripping from somewhere if true. If not from the engine, it would be wet in the exhaust. I would recheck in 600 miles and see if it is still occurring or if there was an error somewhere. Maybe it was under filled originally, or maybe you over filled it by mistake.

klinkman, Napoli and flash32 like this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    At this point I'll go with it being underfilled from the factory. I checked it per the instructions.

ChipG likes this.
  5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    And the largest surprise is that my loss is within the allowable amount stated at the upper end. I'm going to watch it every fill-up from now on.

6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Wouldn’t your 812 indicate via your left screen when you are low - and until you satisfy the minimum oil level requirement? My 488 does.

7. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I just added 1.5 or so quarts to mine. It was under minimum but the car didn’t tell me. I just got it back from the dealer and only put 300 miles on it. Now it’s maybe 30-40% between min and max.

8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Thanks for the info. I better check my 812, ASAP.

9. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Np. If it’s really low the lifter noises from the engine will get bad. Happened to me once. Definitely frustrating that it doesn’t have a proper electronic sensor.

10. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not an 812 owner....yet, but looking. Coming from the Porsche and BMW world where modern engines don't seem to use a drop of oil even under hard use. And you can easily check the level from the dashboard. Is the 812 still a manual check?

SecretSquirrari likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Having an idiot light is OK if you are extremely low but fluids should be checked manually for color, smell and condition. Just having an acceptable level doesn't tell you a whole lot. Any reason to get close to a Ferrari engine is worth the effort.

xBox, spyderman and 96redLT4 like this.
  12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Manual check.

13. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    The last two gt3s I had consumed a fair amount of oil during my break in process and the immediate time thereafter but then was stable. Maybe I was more aggressive with that but that’s been my experience.

96redLT4 and Napoli like this.
  14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks to your post I just added 3 qts. The engine has a large capacity so being down 3 quarts isn't a big deal I don't think but that's what it took to get back to the MIN level. I don't like filling them up too much because overfilling can cause other problems.

96redLT4 likes this.
  15. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Supposedly a small percentage of Porsche engines do burn oil and there is no clear explanation for this. Porsche stands behind them and they seem to have a normal longevity. I think if given the choice most would prefer a car that does not burn oil. Do most of these NA V12s use some oil? I wonder if it is different with the newer Ferrari turbocharged V8s.

gliazzurri likes this.
  16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My 2014 991tts burned about a quart every 1000-1500 miles. It was a common report about the 991tts on 6speed

17. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I have a 2016 GT3 I have never added any oil to it, I have a 2012 Aston Martin V12 never added any oil to it and I have a '73 365/GTB4 Daytona and have never had to add any oil to it, so I find it interesting that the New Ferrari v12's use this much oil, would have never guessed.,

of2worlds likes this.
  18. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Just earlier this week had a post about this.

according to the owners manual you are to check the oil level every 1000km (~600 miles) and expect approximately 1qt of consumption.

After speaking with the head of service at my local dealer he instructed me to check every 500 miles and never fill beyond the halfway mark on the dipstick. If they are overfilled they will put oil into the intake, air filters, throttle bodies. Or I could simply just bring it to the dealer and they would do it. I do it myself, and have noticed ~1qt per 1000 miles and that yes, they most certainly are filled to minimum at the factory

19. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
  20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    SeattleStew, it's what I too believe concerning the factory level being not full. Thanks all for your comments!

SeattleStew and j34 like this.
  21. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I might even do some oil changes myself on the car. I own a large shop, so doing work myself is trivial. Just gotta make sure Ferrari won’t void warranties

22. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Saved by this thread! Went for a rippin' drive yesterday after reading this - after putting 5 quarts in just to get it to minimum! Also would help if Ferrari didn't use black dipsticks. :rolleyes:

SeattleStew likes this.
  23. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    5 qts??? Wow. That’s crazy.

24. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Yeah! Like others here, I feel like Ferrari shipped my 812 with less than a proper amount of oil to begin with. I would have added another quart to get it above minimum, but I used up my supply. Case of oil on the way.

SeattleStew likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You know if they short each vehicle by 5 quarts and you make thousands of them it all adds up. :D