430 - F430 carbon fiber intake manifold, any interests making this? (Groupbuy) | FerrariChat

430 F430 carbon fiber intake manifold, any interests making this? (Groupbuy)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Freddan, Sep 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    With help of a company im looking into making this as i want one for myself.

Is this something anyone would be interested in?

Please write in the thread and we go from there. The more the better

price i understand is an important matter but lets check interest first and we go from there.

(Picture is just a borrowed one)

/ Fredrik Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Why? The best part of the regular 430 is the red intake. I think they should have left those partS red on the Scud and just done the other parts in carbon.

3. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    I might be interested, if they correspond to OEM carbon covers in appearance and it is possible to find a clear coat that can withstand the heat without turning yellow.

And that the price is much cheaper than ordering OEM (which costs ~ 5000 EUR)

Is the idea that these should be developed to fit the later intake manifolds (MY07-09)?

4. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    sorry , im not up for debating, question is easy and if you like the red intake - im happy for you.

I rather have the carbon fiber more than the red alu and looking if there´s anyone who wants the same - that´s all.

Eric C and Marcoboxer like this.
  5. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Don’t have a F430; however, if this changes the induction noise of the car, it could be an added selling point in addition to cosmetics. I have an E46 M3 with a CSL carbon airbox and the induction sound is intoxicating.

tres55, Freddan and No-Subt2 like this.
  6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fredrik, FYI it is a very complex shape to make neatly out of carbon, and the use of 1x1/plain weave makes it even more of a challenge to do without distortion of the weave. You may have more success with twill.

The company who manufactured this part won an award at the time because they pioneered a new manufacturing technique to achieve it - and that's a commercial enterprise who were used to dealing with CF.

Nevertheless I'm very interested to see your progress. I've enquired about having the lower manifolds made in CF but the price for me alone was prohibitive.

Nuvolari likes this.
  7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

lower manifolds? you talking bout the 8 silver cylinder-like runners?

h

8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, the inlet runners and also the cam covers in autoclaved pre-preg. Unfortunately each side is unique so four unique parts in total, but that aside the complexity makes it a very expensive undertaking.

I'm trying to eek out some more weight savings on my car but only if the £/kg stacks up. The parts above would save approx 4kg.

9. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Any photos of these? Sounds interesting.

10. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik

the starting point is that it should be the same look as the OEM

mwstewart likes this.
  11. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    did not knew that, interesting story.

I have no idea how the process goes for manufacturing theese, the company i ask is well known in its genre.

mwstewart likes this.
  12. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Tentatively interested pending the concerns above. If the price is the same as OEM I don't see the benefit, but curious enough to sub to this post.

13. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Great!

And I assume they will be made to fit late MY07 -> MY09 only?

14. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
  15. F131 one of one

F131 one of one Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Taco Vonk
    I bought it for my 2006 model year. The mechanic told me it should fit all 430 models.

16. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe
    Checked. The alu covers originally had different part # on MY05-06 (#209506) and MY07-09 (#220669), now replaced with #214959 for MY05-MY09.
    (Anyone with knowledge about differences between 209506, 220669 and 214959? I was looking for a extra set of covers to paint grey, but couldn't find any info what differs the parts during the years, so please fill in if you have the knowledge)

The carbon covers is #238253 (glued inscription), then replaced with #255334 (pegs inscription).
    So I guess they will fit all years, I made an asumption that they had made changes to the runners during MY06/MY07 that needed different covers.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see the progress in this matter, Fredrik!

17. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    So I have a 360 and I can’t formally participate, but I’m still going to ask. Is this just the air plenum, of are you really talking about the intake manifold and cam covers. If it’s just the air plenum, you should ask the moderators to change the title of the thread. If this includes all of the above, I will be most interested in following this project as I haven’t seen a CF intake manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Freddan likes this.
  19. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Do these just unbolt off the intake "stacks"? Any pics of the bottom side? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the underside of the plenums (carbon or otherwise)? I'm just curious how complex the underside is. I'm not even sure what all the center stuff is that sits between the two air chambers! Some kind of valve for tuning the intake length?

20. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Freddan likes this.
  21. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    They must be Cheaper than OEM - that's the key. As you say - otherwise there will be no benefit or interest (including me also)

22. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I would be interested depending on price.

23. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
  24. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante