458 Tranny Issue | FerrariChat

458 Tranny Issue

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sargepug, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    And I don't mean w/ the likes of Ru Paul!

Here's the history:

1. bought car in March w/ 4,400 on the clock (no lights / no issues)
    2. Drove multiple times after in both auto and manual (no issues)
    3. Around 4,800 after a blistering run w/ a car club upstate (hit 170 on highway, aggressive shifting there and on back road twisties), she threw the tranny failure light. Other members said it's typical / sensitive w/ the codes, after aggressive driving or if one down shifts too aggressively. I did that for sure, cause I was still new to the car. They said once you restart, it will probably clear, which it did.
    4. After putting 1k on the clock, now at 5,800, I noticed in auto, it was way too easy for the code to be thrown on many occasions. It would always clear on startup, but would come on soon again and shift wonky. So yesterday I drove her about 50 miles in manual and no codes.
    5.Today barely drove her in manual and threw the code again! Then I lost 5th and just took her home. Shop picking her up Wednesday, but is this commonplace?! I didn't expect an issue like this w/ such low mileage. As a note, they car came w/ a 21/22 staggered forgiato setup and huge low profile rubber. I immediately changed back to stocks.

2. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    What year is it and do you have warranty?

3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    ‘14 and no....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    I just went thru the same..lost 1,3 and 5. Have 10k miles on mine but its a 12. Anyways, issue was 1-3 gear cluster fork shifter broke. Sourced it from a junk tranny...overall $20k..got my car bck on Tuesday after almost a month..it runs good now.

What codes were you getting? Make sure the shop has dealt with DCT’s before and trained on

5. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    The red trans failure light and shop is tops!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. ac360

ac360 Rookie

Jun 12, 2017
    Oh no, hope it's not a big problem. I'm shopping around for a white 2015 with with red Sports seat. I better start looking for one with warranty also.

7. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Wow, I thought this was the same transmission as in the AMG GT. That one is $16k new, plus installation (yes, I bought a car with a transmission I'd already replaced in another car. :shrug: ). $20k for a rebuild seems really high to me.

8. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    A new tranny from Ferrari for the 458 is ~$36k...a used one in good condition starts from $17k and above.

9. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Sargepug likes this.
  10. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    So yours was not rebuildable?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Yours sounds way more severe than mine. I don't experience what you did in any way. She thows the trans failure code often, but still was shifting normally. Only as of the past week, did it upshift and skip a gear like 5th. Took her off the road for good now and hopefully the fix won't be too costly....

12. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Good luck and keep us posted. Were any codes stored?

michaelo likes this.
  13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Thanks and what do you mean by "stored"? You mean didn't clear themselves after startup? If so, always did, but I have to check later now that she's skipping 5th.

14. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    This freaks me out driving a 13 with 20k miles and no warranty.

I’m not rich enough to afford the repairs. Lol

15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    LOL, it is disturbing considering. I thought the engine and trans on these things were bulletproof....

16. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Lol exactly what I thought as well....some have driven these cars for 30k miles w/o any issues..I guess we the lucky ones

17. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Oh yeah, luck w/ cars been real hot lately! Since FN Covid hit in March, i've had to rebuild the top end of my '84 Carrera, deal w/ a tree limb from last storm damaging my '18 M5, which will be in shop couple months and now this! SMH!!!!

18. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Oh damnnn...sorry brother....hope all your toys are fixed soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    #20 Sargepug, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Thx! Carrera purring like a kitten now and also had to have the trans rebuilt, all to the tune of $8k! M5 wise, here's pics and the big issue is obtaining the CF roof from Germany. Since she is my "DD", always exposed to all seasons and storms, and this took place in my office parking lot. However, it's leased under my biz and covered, w/ $20k anticipated damage! In in the interim, I'm driving my 74yr old Mother's A220 sedan w/ Champaign over beige! LMFAO & SMH! It's not me AT ALL!!!
    458 Wise, just started her up, so no code was "stored", since no failure light. Regardless, she's being picked up 9:30 am tomorrow.

Attached Files:

20. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
  21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    The trans issues were through all model years, its misinformation those who say 2010-2011 only, there were no changes other than software. I am always leary of the real low mileage cars as they are the ones where you can have an issue just waiting to happen. Good luck man, it sucks, but part of the game

Sargepug, Labman and xfrgtr like this.
  22. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Thx, and per my tech, it's now missing odd gears! SMH

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Could you add a bit more info.

Is it a one owner .
    Bought the 458 at a dealer , private ?
    Did you have Ferrari fully check it out before purchasing ?
    Was all servicing done and Ferrari with all documentation ? As its a 14 car it should.

IMO , and its me , I would never buy a modified car especially at this price level.

Also as it would be in the log how was the 4000 miles generated , even every year . Or nothing then a lot.

24. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Yikes, those photos are pretty crazy! Hope things get better asap!

Sometimes fault codes are stored even if there is no dash light, so it might be useful to plug in a reader and check. In any case, keep us posted!

Sargepug likes this.