430 - Classic comparison thread Scud vs. GT3 RS | FerrariChat

430 Classic comparison thread Scud vs. GT3 RS

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jda550911, Sep 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Sooo I think I've done my homework on Fchat at least. I see a lot of comparisons with 430 scuds and older GT3 RSs like 997s and 2016/991s, but I've been presented with some good 2019 991.2s and a 430 scud that are local and just waiting for me to make a decision.

I know these are very different cars but the close price points are presenting me with a need to compare to some extent.

I'm leaning towards going with the 430 and driving it until I've been rattled around enough and am tired of not having cup holders on road trips etc.., then trading it for a 2019 GT3 to keep for a little longer - best of both worlds! The 2019 GT3s could drop in value a little as well and make a trade in the future even sweeter.

I currently have a 991.2 911 T that I'd be letting go of for this, and considering how GREAT that car is, I can't even imagine not having a newer, driver focused 911 for a long period of time. It's amazing for road trips, really fun and comfortable despite the buckets.

The goal with the scud would be to have more "fun" for a while, then trade to a GT3 RS once that fun factor has worn off. Of course, that's presuming I don't absolutely fall in love with the scud.

I guess you could say it sounds like I have my mind made up, but looking for some confirmation in my thought process/am I getting the scud all wrong. Is my thinking inline with people's experiences here?

Are there certain years of scuderias to stay away from? The later the better is what it seems like.

Use would be driving around town once a week, 500 mile road trips almost once a month, and tracking 2-3 times a year.

2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    A few questions... Do you care about resale value in the future? It sounds like you are looking at something like 6 to 7k miles per year. For a Ferrari, this will hit your resale in a few years. Not that the car can't handle it, but it's a factor. Maintenance is also higher on the Scud than over the GT3RS.

One other question... Are you a person who doesn't mind "attention"? I have a 996 GT3, and no one who is not a car person gives it a second glance, even when it was new. In fact strangely when it was new, not even car people came up to me randomly. My F430 cannot go anywhere without thumbs up and cell phone cameras and such in my face. There are no anonymous drives in a Ferrari. Also with the Ferrari, get used to some very stupid and personal questions from strangers.

Now I'm not trying to talk you out of the Scud. Just understand the difference. With the Ferrari, you are also getting a hand built car, so son't expect it to be built as solid as the German built Porsche, but expect everything to be more of a "special occasion" when you take it out. I think when you drive the GT3RS and Scud back to back you will see that the Ferrari drives like a supercar and the Porsche drives like track ready sport car.

S F, catdog and duck.co.za like this.
  3. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I can echo the sentiments above (coming from another guy with a 996 gt3!). You don't say so specifically so I must ask: have you driven a scud yet? I knew I wanted one but I must confess it was even more raw and "visceral" than I was expecting. That is not a bad thing in my book, but you should be prepared for that. You will hear every little rock, engine noise, and feel every bump. Having owned many mezger gt3's (including 997's), I can also say without reservation that the scud will be much quicker. Perhaps not on a track if the 7-3 is well set up, but in a straight line the scud (and likely the f430) will mop the floor with the gt3 (and this is coming from an absolute gt3 fanboy...will never be without one). Based on gtboard rolling start vids, the scud is even faster than a 991 gt3 (again, in a straight line). Add headers, exhaust, filters, and a tune, and you are in 991.2 territory. Pretty good for a car that is over a decade old.

I can also say that the gt3 does feel more solid and put together. The caveat is that my scud has had a very hard life (60k track miles) so there are a lot of little creaks, rattles, and hums that a nicer example likely won't have (I'm getting there though!). Good luck!

catdog, duck.co.za and ShineKen like this.
  4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    OP is comparing 991.2 GT3RS vs a Scud.
    A 10 year newer GT3RS will pretty much beat the Scud in every performance metric.
    not going to comment on fun factor, that's up in the air.

catdog and synchro like this.
  5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    What I said still matters even comparing a brand new Porsche... the Porsche drives like a track ready sports car and the Ferrari drives like a supercar. It's a difference in focus of the companies.

The GT3RS even though it is outrageous in its looks compared to a base 911, is still not going to attract much attention except at Cars N Coffee... The Scud will at every light.

DOWORKFCAR, cole328 and catdog like this.
  6. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

You are correct. I wasn't meaning to suggest that I scud is a better performer than a 991.2 gt3 (I should have clarified). But my statement stands for the mezger era gt3's. There are some interesting instagram vids from a guy named "Mr.tomford" or something like that who has a scud with a few bolt-ons and a stock 991.2 manual. They seem very even (although the gt3 is giving up shift times to the scud since its a manual...I'd expect a pdk-equipped car to compare more favorably).

Darren Donovan likes this.
  7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    I thought i was maybe asking too much of a closed loop question but really appreciate the feedback!

I haven't seen a 430 in person in a while and this one is red, with the paint in beautiful condition. I just got back from checking it out and my first thought when i saw it was - "damn, I better be ready for some attention". When I drive my 550 around I get a lot of respectful head nods from older guys, but this 430 is going to pull out everyone's camera phone etc..

Resale value is somewhere in the middle of factors that are important to me. With the scud my mindset might be something like, I'll plan for miles to keep the value pretty steady as it rises. Will this happen accurately? No. Will the price even rise enough to make that a possibility? Probably not. But holy hell that scud was sweet - driving it for the first time tomorrow.

That "visceralitity" lol, is kind of what I was going after when talking about fun factor. Looking forward to that test drive tomorrow and slapping the F1 around. Fun on the street over dead nuts speed is definitely what I'm going for. I think the scud is going to be so visceral that it's a perfect car for me right now, then maybe get back into a porsche like I mentioned if it get's old. A ferrari "getting old" is a nice problem to have ;)

Porshce is by no means a backup in my mind to a Ferrari, but I have 2 touring cars right now and they're starting to feel a little sleepy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing, DOWORKFCAR and catdog like this.
  9. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    What's going to catch more eyes, a rosso corsa 430, or a Miami blue GT3 RS with the massive wing? haha

Trying to ignore the eyeballs factor which might persuade me back to touring cars, and really just get what is going to fire me up every time I fire it up.

10. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Having both a GT3RS and an F430, they complement each other nicely... One word of warning, having traded in my perfect doe 991.2C2S with roof delete and every sporty option for the RS, you will be losing that everyday usability and all around sports car feel that you Carrera T provides. Both RS and Scud will be more intense every time and more fun but forget 500 enjoyable comfortable 500 mile trips in either ... too loud too uncomfortable and massive depreciation hit compared to a perfectly competent sporty satisfying experience. Think wife vs. mistress ...!

Manda racing likes this.
  11. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    [QUOTE="Jda550911, post: 147438114, member: 240706"

"damn, I better be ready for some attention". When I drive my 550 around I get a lot of respectful head nods from older guys, but this 430 is going to pull out everyone's camera phone etc..

[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you live, but here in Orange County people don't look twice at a rosso corsa 430 or a Porsche GT3R. The former are referred to as "Newport Fiats" while the latter are "Newport Volkswagens". They certainly don't whip out their iPhones.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    That would be "anywhere else except Orange county"

13. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wife after 180 miles—“let me out of this tin can!!!”
    Additional power in a 458 makes up (subjectively)for the visceral feel of the Scud so don’t forget them. FWIW

14. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    That’s a very good point. Make sure you wife goes on the test drive with you in the car. I didn’t want another manual transmission car just Incase my wife has or wants to drive it. Let’s just say, my bad, she has already stated not just that she won’t drive my 430, she won’t even ride in it because of the suspension and exhaust noise and that’s in a 430 not a scud. I should have known better since she has maybe been in my GT3 twice in about 15 years. She would ride in my previous 996 Carrera, but only if she had to.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Ah I needed to hear this. I was kind of assuming the GT3 RS would be jussstttt barely comfortable enough almost think about daily-ing it, therefore, road trips every once in a while wouldnt be too much. I would never daily it, just using that as a comfort barometer ha.

16. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Quote portion is messed up above ^

Yep, speciales are way out there price wise. I'll check out some base 458s when picking up the 550 from the shop!

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1 time warp bubble there.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    As some have alluded to, your planned usage is not the forte of a Scuderia (other than the track visits). Honestly, I think the Porsche is the better fit for you, and it’s a damn fine car. The only problem I personally would have is the eye watering depreciation.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    NEVER EVER buy a "toy" trying to satisfy others in your choices.
    Been there done that too many times to admit.
    No-one is happy.
    Buy a toy for yourself.
    Buy a Lexus to make them happy.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I would agree except buying something the wife hates when there are similar cars that she would like just isn't smart. Maybe the smart move in this guy's case is to go with a softer 458....I hated the buckets in the GT3, and you almost can't find one without them.

Buying a car based on strangers opinions in a forum? Yeah, pretty stupid.

21. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Yeah a 458 would be a smart move, very fast and will hold value at least as well as Scud and more of a useable drive and still super fast in fact faster !

22. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    I own both a 991.2 RS and a Scud along with a Speciale. The Scud is still my favorite to drive. The RS does everything better but nothing comes close to the feel of the Scud. The Speciale and RS are very close in terms of performance. They are almost dead even in a race. When comparing the Scud unless you are launching the Scud has the power and weight to hang pretty close to both. As far as comfort goes the ferrari seats are far more comfortable than the Porsche buckets. Two hour in the porsche buckets is exhausting. Suspension on the Scud is also much more comfortable for long street drives (Bumpy road mode vs Standard porsche rs). Hard not to be happy in either but if you want pure driving pleasure get the Scud. If you are looking for an all around great package that you can pack the miles on and not worry about the RS is the better choice.

23. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    458 and Scud are pretty dead on in power. The 458 has more torque which you can feel but they neck in neck.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL.....no

25. angrybanker

angrybanker Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Yeah, no idea how he got to that conclusion. Scuds are as low as they're ever going to go. They've moved down what, maybe 10K in the last 5 years? The 458 will hold value very well but there's literally 5x the number of them available on AutoTrader right now.

Sent from my SM-G970W using FerrariChat.com mobile app