Best driver school? | FerrariChat

Best driver school?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by HotShoe, Sep 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Now that my kids are out of private school I thought I’d treat myself for my 50th by going to a drivers school.

My ultimate goal is to get my license so I can do some sort of spec racing arrive and drive. I’ve done karts in the past but I’d like to drive on some of the local tracks, particularly Sebring which I love.

What is the best driving school for this? I’m located in south Florida 30 minutes from PBIR where Bertil Roos has a program. I would have no problem traveling though for the best school.

Thoughts?

ewright and mdrums like this.
  2. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Here is list of accredited schools that SCCA recognizes as part of their requirements for a full competition license. Bertil is on this list and location is quite convenient for you. You may want another school, a local SCCA race drivers school, and there are many race prep shops who will rent you a spec Miata and provide you support those two days.

Go see some of the SCCA races in south Florida, look at the various cars, talk to the drivers, mechanics and prep shops to help you figure out what spec class of car appeals to you.

Let me know if you need more help or info (I’m active in SCCA club racing and relatively local to you).

Good luck and enjoy!

https://www.scca.com/pages/driver-s-school-w-table

Patricia2020 and HotShoe like this.
  3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks for the advice!

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Awesome! Sebring is my home track...know it like my hand. If you just want to drive it in you car I highly recommend Chin Track Days. Chin is absolutely the best track event you can do and they have great instructors too and learn about how to instruct. For race schools check out this list schao posted... a SCCA school is what I’d do.

HotShoe likes this.
  5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Cool! I love Sebring. I’m still undecided if I want a spec car or just a cheap track day car. I’d just get another shifter but I’m hung up on the idea of driving these iconic tracks.

mdrums likes this.
  6. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Probably not the cheapest way to get seat time (and eventually, your SCCA license), but AMG Driving Academies are fantastic. Considerably cheaper than Ferrari schools. They offer Performance, Advanced, PRO & PRO+. After completing PRO+, you can get your SCCA license. Of course, COVID has killed all of the 2020 events. Patiently awaiting 2021 schedule...

7. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Hey Hotshoe. SCCA is hosting a Track Night in America event (essentially a track day) at PBIR on Oct 20. You bring your own car and do laps, but key for you is to meet some SCCA members and officials, ask about what they think of your race options, and have them as a resource for you going forward. You can sign up for a group (novice, intermediate, advance) to run lapping sessions, or just do the tour laps at 6pm (free) and use your time to meet people.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/1996419-track-night-2020-palm-beach-international-raceway-october-20

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    That’s perfect! Thanks for the heads up.

9. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    HotShoe likes this.
  10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lucas Oil School of Racing would be my recommendation. Good luck; have fun.

Ky1e and HotShoe like this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Welcome back!

singletrack likes this.
  12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks!

Patricia2020 likes this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would recommend the Winfield school at Paul Ricard or Magny Cours in France.

pilotoCS likes this.