Special delivery for Mr. Parks.... | FerrariChat

Special delivery for Mr. Parks....

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tritone, Sep 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #2 Bob Parks, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Boomhauer likes this.
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm probably wrong about the engine being a tank version but I seem to remember that they had the ignition harness in the front. It's probably a different dash number from what I flew. Nice to see a proper restoration that didn't have an R985 hung on the front. I liked the "kick" that the Continental had and also the smoothness of the Lyc. R680 with a Macauley prop. The PT23 with the Cont. on it was a great combination, too. Sharp flying airplane and an improvement from the Ranger on the PT19.

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Some of the commenters thought the original power was.....minimal....., thus the recommendation to "fly the wings, not the motor", which sounds like bloody good advice to me, whatever the aircraft! :D

Although I guess some more modern pilots flying 'lawn darts' might disagree.....:)

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I always felt that you had to fly the airplane the way it wanted to fly...not how you wanted it to fly. The PT19 was under- powered but did its job to teach the student to fly within certain parameters like a heavier airplane that was next in their training. The PT13, and PT17 were under- powered also and taught the student good stick and rudder techniques that were valuable in the next phase of training. Both such smooth and well balanced airplanes.

tritone likes this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Low power isn't always a bad thing as long as it is adequate. It taught a few things about low speed handling and power management and being able to fly the airplane and not plow your way through everything. That airplane was stressed for 13G up and down. There was a military design for export that had an R1340. I don't think that you could hurt the airplane in the air. By the way, I'm still just Ol' Bob.

tritone likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Stearman sold today for $90k. Going to the WAAM in Hood River to join Boeing Stearman sn# 01.
    Time to go back for another visit. Will see if they still have my restored Studebaker stakeside.....

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Never knew there was a museum in Hood River. I'll have to consider that the next time I'm in Oregon.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim, this place is a must see for anybody . It is the best in the country for its expanse and contents. A marvelous collection of airplanes that includes everything that you can think of from WW1 on up. I watched Tom Murphy rebuild the original Stearman from a bag of bones ( The font just changed on me and I have no explanation why or how.) Anyway, I think that I remember that the museum covers 15 acres under roof. Many airplanes are sole survivors of a breed and many obscure items . Autos and machines like combines and tractors all operative and in beautiful condition. You gotta do it.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  9. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    It is a great museum. I live in Portland and grew up walking distance from Piper Aircraft's Lock Haven (PA) factory...WAAAM has quite a few Pipers, Taylorcrafts, etc.

They usually have last Saturday open houses...year-round, I believe. I'm not sure how Covid-19 is affecting those, though.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can always think of one outstanding airplane at the museum and it is a somewhat minor example. They have a pristine dark blue beautiful Pietenpol Sky Scout with a Model T engine and spoke wheels that is the most perfect rendition of the type and the personal built aircraft of the twenties. They have a prime example of a Reason Speedster that is about as rare as my remembering my wife's birthday. Lots of other rare stuff, too.