What happened to Ricambi? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What happened to Ricambi?

Discussion in '348/355' started by chopsui, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Way to show them. ;)

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Sorry to hear about Ferrari's fierce stance on independent parts suppliers. I doubt they will be forced out business, even without knowing the specifics of what exactly happened, but the impact is certainly going to be felt.

As for detailed part diagrams let's remember they are always available at the likes of Algar - to name one. Search Algar's diagrams and buy cheaper elsewhere.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have used Ricambia's site to help research problems with my car and even before that, to determine what parts were no longer available. It's been a great resource and ultra convenient. Because of this, I've often purchased parts from Ricambia even though less expensive options are available. Bummer that it's been removed.

As an alternative, the Algar site has pretty much the same functionality. I suspect Algar will come under the same pressure as Ricambia did.

So folks, you can fight back easily. Go now to the Algar site, locate your car and start saving the pages for the diagrams to your computer. When you save the "page", you save everything on that page including the images, javascript and html. When you visit the page saved locally on your computer, you'll be able to see the diagrams and the part numbers.

Additionally, there are parts manuals available for at least some of the cars. I have a Modena parts manual (I have a Spider) so 90% of the parts I can use are in that book. I just went to Algar and saved the capote related pages so I should be covered.

It's really silly and counterproductive for a company like Ferrari to go and shoot themselves in the foot by sabotaging independent parts suppliers. Those independents keep the older cars going. I'm sure this problem is the making of some junior VP trying to make a name for himself.

Qavion likes this.
  5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Ferrari wants to be the only source of support. Period.

6. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    BTW, Ricambi IS Daniel. It is what it is and you get from it what you do 100% because that is who he is.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    SDs if not already will be thing of past as ferrari will strangle indy shops making ferrari proprietary service knowledge internet based only available through dealer network subscription.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't like it either, but you all are over-criticizing Ferrari IMO. The "problem" is that if Ferrari doesn't always protect everything vigorously, then they can't protect anything at all. Ferrari doesn't get to pick and choose what can be let go and what remains protected -- blame the legal system, not Ferrari. Our one hope is that the older SPC may remain available on-line at Maranello Concessionaires (if they still have a relationship with Ferrari to support the older models).

9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Algar is a Ferrari official dealer - they aren't going anywhere.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They are not going anywhere no. But the parts content may likely disappear from public view is the salient point. Availability of parts diagrams is the crux of the issue.

11. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    You probably just answered the question: "who is behind this idiocy"? The "official" dealers don't want or need competitors.

12. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I started doing this and was going to post the exact same recommendation before I read your post.

Will I still be able to provide Ricambi with the part #'s I want to buy...and then have the transaction completed normally?

Believe it or not, Toyota likes part #'s to be a huge mystery, too. You can find low-res exploded parts diagrams online, but rarely do you get the official part numbers. When receiving the little red Toyota part boxes, I always took pics of the official part # for future reference.

13. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I can't understand why Ferrari would be concerned about a parts supplier that is selling parts that are for the most part discontinued from Ferrari? (Cars 10 plus yrs old) If they were hungry for marketshare they should make more of an effort to actually have the parts that they would like to sell. Lets face it, I think most of us would like to purchase all of our parts with the horsie on the box, but thats just not possible with a lot of these older models.

tres55 and Ray Smith like this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohh that's easy to understand, its more about the new cars I'm dead sure, but its hard to draw lines, it is far cheaper and easier to implement unilaterally.

15. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Bottom line is take care of owners to your left and right. We all need to be well versed in our cars, their parts, and maint practices. Try to be understanding about those with questions as some of this data will be disappearing. Try not to reply “try the search tool.”

Maybe we can have a pinned thread on the charts and part breakdown... I will see. But I know the other site with pdf’s on owners manuals and other brochures for download resources was shut down.

Robb

ShineKen, tres55, copterjon and 4 others like this.
  16. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Since I'm a tech, it would be totally stupid for me to pay them the labor to get my car fixed and for me, working on it is half the fun!!!

CCRider66, absostone and Ray Smith like this.
  17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have the parts manual and workshop manuals if anyone needs them.

killer58, ShineKen, Ray Smith and 2 others like this.
  18. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Damn! I'm glad I pulled a JPG of every 355 parts diagram off the site some time ago. No part numbers - but I got the pictures...

Sorry to hear, Daniel. A real shame.

19. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    I see the same thing. I was able to click on the Home page, get the Ferrari or Maserati, and would get the diagrams. Been using Eurospares. https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/355-5-2-motronic

20. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Describes the Tesla business model pretty well. That’s why I’ll never own one.

LARRYH likes this.
  21. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Always used eurospares my self being in the uk. Had to go check that there website is up.......for now :rolleyes:

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There is a fairly ancient F355 parts catalogue floating around on the internet in pdf format. It might help some find parts, but it probably won't make Daniel's life any easier. Parts ordering will become much more labour intensive on both sides of the counter.

...and Apple. Computer repairer and YouTuber, Louis Rossmann goes into daily rants on the issue. When you buy something from someone, you should be able to do anything you want with it. This isn't the case with Apple.

24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I need every crush washer, gasket, and O-ring needed for a gearbox oil change in the near future The diagrams were helpful in that you could just click on the part and add it to the cart. Can I just call you and get the appropriate parts? I want them on-hand before I do the work on my 430.

Thank you.

Ray

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric