Maserati MC20 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    F8 uses aluminum chassis derived from 458 going on 12 years old now. Ancient. That’s why Spider versions still lack torsional stiffness.

Plus add all the carbon decorative pieces and F8 costs $375K plus in US. That’s about 50% more than MC 20 which is ALL structural carbon with decorative elements as well.

Bet performance of both will be close.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i dont think people will be ordering loaded mc20s. maybe dealers will do that but individuals will not get the carbon packages and brakes, imo. sticker will be close to base vs ferrari and porsche loaded up w options. we will see

3. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Agree. The value proposition works better closer to base price on the MC20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Went to Maserati configurator.

Couple carbon option packages but overall very few options. Base car is pretty loaded with carbon tub, carbon ceramic brakes, cool doors etc.

If base is $200K it’s competitive price wise.

As far as I know the least expensive Ferrari with a carbon tub is La Ferrari at $1.5M sticker ......

5. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Maserati is expected to release more options for the MC20 on the configurator this month. I don't know if that includes any additional colors.

6. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    On point w/ the MC 12 and I hope an pray that this 20 will change that depreciation value around for the brand as a whole. One of the cars in my stable is this '17 MC Cabrio, which is the last one untouched by Chrysler before the '18 was released and then entire line discontinued. For those not in the know, it's the same F136 Ferrari / Masi block as in the 458 and Naturally Aspirated. It has instantaneous throttle response like the 458 and has an amazing exhaust note w/ a timeless design. Still a head turner as of today and a real pleasure of a GT to drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Easily one of the top 10 best sounding cars sold in the last 5 years. The bite isn’t as big as the bark, but who cares.

Will be harder for Maserati to deliver great sound from the MC20. The one video I saw of the car at idle in plaza was worrisome. The alfa Giulia Quad (also 3.0 TT V6) may be the best proxy and that is just OK (oem).

Sargepug likes this.
  8. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    My wife's 2011 Maserati Gran Cabrio sounds better (at startup, it just sounds angry) than my 2014 458 Spider. They are both Pininfarina designs with the F136 engine. With the Maserati I am not breaking any laws until about 5 seconds. In the 458 I am over the speed limit in 3 seconds.I pretty much only drive the 458, but the Maserati is nice to have when the 458 is at the dealer for annual service.

My wife has made it clear we are getting an MC20. I just need a six car garage instead of five . . . .

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Exhaust note even "richer" than the 458's one because of the crossplane crankshaft compared to the flat plane in the 458 engine.

Sargepug likes this.
  10. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    To compare it with a base F8: What is the price when you add

Electronic Limited Slip Differential (E-LSD)
    Sport suspensions with suspension lifter
    Carbon ceramic brakes
    Heated front seats

11. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Those options add $16,800, so the car would be $226,800 in the US.

boralogist likes this.
  12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Even though black is a never, never, ever color for me that's a beautiful combo and will always turn heads for years to come. I wish I felt that way about this new car. I might like it more in white or light metallic blue.

13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    You should hear my MC! However, nothing sounds like the 458, but you have a point at initial startup. You need to install a Capristo valve controller on the 458, so you always have on the music. ;)

14. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    So the F8 with similar equipment is about $45,000 more.

15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Can't recall off hand, but before Covid, people were paying easy over $300k for them...

16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    No doubt the carbon tub is impressive not sure why Ferrari can't move to that in their V8 cars. But performance will not be close the weight is slightly more in the Maser and it is down 90 hp.

17. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I’m sure you can get the Maser for 100k in three years. Not sure getting a F8 for 135k...

NuorderSG likes this.
  18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And it always will be so as if by arrangement ... somethings remain constant.

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Their configurator offers very few options. You can`t even chose the color of the floor mats or lower dashboard leather color.
    Despite white all colors are far too flashy or too dark (IMO).
    And ---veeeeery strange--- they took away the configurator on the German website....

20. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I believe you also have to add $5062. to the price of the the F8 for the lifter. Not sure about the heated seats. I have had excessive brake pad wear with eLSD on other cars. I think the mechanical LSD that is standard on the MC20 is all I would want.

21. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    mechanical lsd is standard on the mc20 as is carbon ceramics

just lifter and heated seats to add...

boralogist likes this.
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Apparently US requirements are 10k deposit, application listing previous buying history. If your application is rejected, the deposit will be returned.

23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Wow Maserati making you fill out an application?What a joke you can keep your damn car!

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To me the MC 20 seems to have the best engineered CF chassis in history. The reason I say that is that of all existing CF chassis cars, its entrance area has the least bothersome of any I've seen and seems to be the easiest to get into. Its not much more different than an aluminum chassis and a lot better than a McLaren. We're getting older and getting in and out of these things is becoming an issue whether to buy and enjoy it as was before.

But there are a lot of details we don't know yet. Like, what's the body made of? CF? Aluminum? SMC? And what about the US specs? The Alfa 4c had to add an addition 150 lbs to the CF chassis to meet US crash standards. Will the MC20 also?

Bottom like its way too early and Maserati is WAY TOO SKETCHY in details to really get excited yet

25. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Jumping through hoops is an aspirational badge of honor for the Ferrari crowd but for the most collectible real Maserati in a generation, it becomes an unacceptable inconvenience. This same mentality, of course, is happy to play the Maserati depreciation card in every conversation. If you despise this marque so much why waste your valuable time on an MC20 board?

wbaeumer likes this.