Wheel Restoration | FerrariChat

Wheel Restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by 48969, Sep 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    I know this topic has come up many times, but I haven’t found a thread that covers the whole process in sequence. Also, I’m not sure what chemicals to use.

So, I was able to find a set of 16” Cromodora’s that have been boxed up for the last 20 years along with a lot of other 308 parts (some of which I will keep and some I’ll sell later). Anyway, I bought the entire lot for the wheels and need to restore them.

The paint is pretty bad so I think I’ll to have them blasted. The Ferrari 7x16 is not visible, so it’s either painted over, which I saw someone else experienced, or it’s not there. The correct stampings are on the back along with a March 83 casting date, so I’m sure they are Cromodora’s.

I’m planning on using walnut shells for blasting, but welcome input. Hand sanding might be an option, but I’m thinking blasting lessens the chance I screw this up.

How do I clean them pre-blasting? Is brake cleaner too harsh? Should I hand sand the rougher paint off first?

Once blasted what should I use to clean before priming with zinc primer? I was planning to spray the primer myself, or should I have a shop do this?

Also, has anyone used Resinol? Or is this just a thought to fix a leaking wheel?

Also, there’s a small nick on one rim’s edge. Someone mentioned lab-metal to repair imperfections. Would that work on an edge?

Final question, does anyone have the paint code? How close is Griot’s repair Kit silver? I know clear coat isn’t original, but who’s done it to protect the paint?

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
  3. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
  4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    FWIW- Henkel, the manufacturer of Alodine, is changing the name of the product from Alodine to Bonderite, but the actual product is unchanged.

5. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    Thanks

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I just used a medium wire brush wheel on a drill. Careful as the metal is very soft. A couple of my wheels had clearly been repainted and the newer paint came off quite easily but still a lot of work around the spokes with small brushes.
    Media blasting may work better if you keep the pressure low so you don’t embed glass/shell into the metal and only take off the top loose layers.
    I used a small sharp pick to remove the small spots of corrosion- dig out the black/grey until clean metal then acid, rinse, alkali, rinse/dry, zinc chromate... slow!

48969 likes this.
  7. drrick308

drrick308 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Salem, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Dr. Rick
    Blasphemy, I know, but...... I used Zephyr wheels and microfiber pads. Then clear coated. Lasted 18 years. Re doing them now and I am vacillating between leaving the inside ?trapazoid like space bare, painted red or black. I will post some photos when back at home. Image Unavailable, Please Login

48969 likes this.
  8. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    I’ve never been a shiny guy, but I love the shiny look on a red 308. Not proper, but I do like my chromed 328 wheels. Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    Forgive my ignorance.

To avoid blasting, I’m thinking I’ll try a scotch-brite pad with mineral spirits to try to clean the RE-paints off.

For the Alodine, how long do I let it sit before washing off? Steve Kouracos says to dry them in the sun, but I’m paranoid about using water. I’m guessing toweling them off would leave fibers behind?

Thanks