348 - Downshift into 2nd difficult | FerrariChat

348 Downshift into 2nd difficult

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ron B., Sep 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    Hi

I just took possession of a 1993 348TS Speciale and I love it! I did notice however that if I am in 3rd gear at about 3300 to 3500 RPM and wanting to downshift into second gear, it’s difficult the shifter doesn’t go in you need to use significant force. If I bring rpm to 2500 it goes into 2nd gear much easier.

I’m just wanting to know if other drivers have experience the same thing and if this is normal.

Thanks

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Does double clutching help?

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #3 greyboxer, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Or to ask the question another other way: will it easily go into 2nd from 1st when cold - with every manual Ferrari thats a good starting point as its usually very difficult - there are multiple threads about subsequent possibilities which might be a simple as new car so clutch foot not perfectly aligned to fully disengage

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Never force it!

As said above into 2nd is a “traditional” difficult trait of cars of this vintage; especially when cold.

Assuming the engine and gear box are suitably warm (I don’t use 2nd until it’s all warm and just short shift) then as said above double declutching on the down shift properly.

If you’ve tried all the above, worth getting it looked at.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    The oil used drastically changes the characteristics and alters what gears hare harder or softer. I used Amsoil severe gear and 2nd was useless even when warm. I switched to Spirax and now even second shifts when cold. I hear MTL works the best but I went with the spec which is Spirax. Generally speaking if your coming form modern gear boxes and your expecting that, you may be well advised to lower the expectations.

6. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    I tried double clutch ie. release and push in again....no change.

7. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    Yes it will go into 2nd fairly easy from 1st.

8. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    I plan on taking the car in for some minor things like handbrake adjustment etc. I will have them look at this. I’m unsure which oil was used. I use to have a similar problem in my 2006 Porsche 911 and double clutch usually helped.

9. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    I have also searched and Redline 75W-90NS is highly recommend for difficult shifts.

surfwolf likes this.
  10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Did you blip the throttle in-between?

308 GTB likes this.
  11. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    Yes I tried that as well, it doesn't help.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Definitely try different oil before people monkey with the linkage. Most folks have no idea how to adjust those, if you must then find a shop with a guy who's been working on Ferrari's since the 80's or 90's. Many shops guys started in 05 or what not, they have never even seen 348's, it WILL get jacked up worse.

Some oils made my 1st gear a breeze and second a bear and some made first tough and second a breeze and some affected 5th and some affected pulling GB out of gear, some nicked teeth constantly going into 3rd etc. Unfortunately not all carts respond to the oil the same. It's the he beauty of hand built vintage cars I suppose.

Good luck!

13. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    What Eric says above about the variances between cars and between oil is so true. I didn't know what oil was in my box when I purchased it and the only issue I had was the usual cold 2nd gear. When I had my first engine out I went with the Redline NS and I had major problem with 2nd (all the time) but also getting into 5th. I drained that and went with Redline Shockproof that was recommended on here. That move helped but didn't cure it completely. After reading about the negative effects of Shockproof I drained that and went with the MTL that Rifledriver recommended. That has got me to an acceptable level but I still have some problems getting 5th sometimes which I think is adjustment which will be addressed in the next engine out that is coming shortly. Not an easy solution for sure for most of us.
    One final thought. I am very fortunate to have a 996tt (6 speed) and a C7 Vette (7 speed) and both models have well documented write-ups on their respective boards about issues getting into 2nd when cold, different brands of trans oil to use, replacement shifter controls etc. so it's not just F cars with this issue. The Porsche has a heavy notch getting second as well as a jumping out of gear matter that costs more to repair than an average engine out for us and the Vette grinds going into 2nd (which GM says is normal). Go figure.o_O

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    SHELL SPIRAX S5 ATE 75W90 has really just great. Rifledriver says MTL is better than SPIRAX. Except were not "supposed" to use MTL in our boxes but Rifledriver you can, I forget but something about the additives and the type of gears or material of syncros which does not apply to the 348. One can search for it it our here a few times. He would definitely know. In the end I went with what the mfg says after ShineKen I think it was tried it and said it was far better than RedlineNS. It has changed how I feel about driving the car the Amsoil made the car essentially a misery to drive.
    Yes, Redline is clear stating Shockproof should not be used with a GB with an internal pump or so I recall reading.

15. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I used to have an awful gearchange on my car but it's just fine now :)

First thing I tried was changing the oil to the "non" recommended oil that gave a good improvement so I didn't have to "warm the box up"

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=742892#post742892

The other major step forward was to lubricate the fearchange cables...again a good step forward

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=765726#post765726

Finally I did a full brake/clutch fluid change and bleed which was the icing on the cake. Car now has a great gerachange that works from the word go :) Must of cost me about £20 for the brake fluid and the lubricant.

16. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    Ok I finally got it shifting better, I wasn’t pumping the throttle enough and clutching/gear quick enough. So double clutching help a lot.

So is this normal? I plan on putting in redline oil anyways. Perhaps it will help without needing to double clutch to get a better 2nd gear shift.

17. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It's "normal" for a car that not's working properly! ;-')

At the moment your just trying compensate for a fault that needs addressing. If your gearchange improves once the box is "armed up" then suspect the oil, if it does it all the time then try the cables/bleeding clutch. Preferable do all 3 I mentioned in my post then report back :)

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It is not normal. Different oil may improve it but, if it doesn't, it would mean that your 2nd gear synchro-ring is probably worn since with double-clutch, which does what a synchro-ring is supposed to do, you have easy shift.

You may decide to live with it. After all, double clutching impresses the audience. I often do it even though not necessary. The ultimate skill with double clutching is to blip the throttle with your heel while braking with your toe.

19. Ron B.

Ron B. Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ron B.
    So I thought I would post an update here.

I first did a Transmission oil change using Redline 75w90ns. This didn't do any improvement.
    I then proceeded with removal the linkage cables under the vehicle and re-lubricating them top and bottom and suspending them. Thanks @348Jeff

So overall there is slight improvement downshifting into second, I wouldn't say its world of a difference. I do however notice that changing gears in general simpler, it almost feels as though the gear goes in more naturally and pulls in.

The Ferrari shop said I have nothing wrong with the gear box, there is no grinding whatsoever including the Syncro.

Downshifting its just a bit trickier/slightly more difficult then any other downshift gear. I have learned to accept it.

Final notes...although the manual gated appearance is a stunner, it will never feel as good or change gears as a more modern day car. Having said that, driving a '94 Porsche the gearbox although didn't look great was smooth like butter.

I have a few other cars in my collection and that's the thing about having diverse cars, each one has their uniqueness.

steved033 likes this.
  20. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Ron glad you had some success with the cables :)

I think it's the superlight shockproof you want not the "recommended" NS that you've put in. I too originally put in the "recommenced" oil and it made not one jot of difference - very disappointing as it cost about £80.

It's yellow the stuff I used:

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=742892#post742892

There's plenty of discussions on it anyway - I think there may even be a better one IIRC called purple something or other. Anyway - I did the change 7 years ago and not an ounce of trouble since and the gearbox has not exploded etc.

I'd also try bleeding your clutch as that may make a difference too - I've replaced the entire brake/clutch fluid a couple of times now since I had to replace my slave cylinder after it burst :-(

I think if you do all the little things recommended they all add up to make a normal gear change :)

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #21 Qavion, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Absolutely not superlight shockproof. Redline has stopped recommending Shockproof for these cars

With NS, you need a capful or two of Redline friction modifier as the limited slip differential needs some slip.

22. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I used shell spirex shifts great, especially downshifts. Amsoil made the car a dreadful drive even when warm, nicking teeth clunking hard to get into gear, second was a problem regardless of gearbox temperature.

Now even when cold t's not horrible shifting up to second with the shell, once the gearbox gets even slightly warm second is good and when it's hott it's like any other gear, even downshifting 3-2-1 is respectable.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Which spirax? 75w90 GL-5?

sjd

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes,, SHELL SPIRAX S5 ATE 75W90. I'm not saying its better than any other oil, different gb respond different depending on tolerances etc but I am saying its intended for these type of GB, is recommended and how about that, it worked well.

steved033 likes this.