Ferrari of San Antonio sold me a damaged CPO car, lied to me, refuses to make it right. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari of San Antonio sold me a damaged CPO car, lied to me, refuses to make it right.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dgoldenz94, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Its also too easy for you to ignore that they didnt take pride in reconditioning a car they labeled as CPO. This is a car they max gave 80k for, they tried to flip it by just throwing a CPO label onto it. I am sorry but they are selling LUXURY, used but LUXURY. They are to blame for not disclosing things and CPO'ing a car that just isnt. Thats just false representation.

vraa, DF1, tritone and 2 others like this.
  2. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I spoke with Thomas Fleming this morning and he was very cordial and agreed to review everything. Curious to see what he has to say about the condition of the car and whether it should meet Ferrari CPO standards. He was not aware of the two items on the checklist for interior/exterior condition that I pointed out.

This post was not designed to get my $1500 back, it was made to warn other people about this dealer's practices and not to buy this car without looking at it themselves in person first Several members messaged me about the car saying they were interested in it and wanting to know why I returned it. I'm sure there are more since it is a high spec build with a rare exterior color.

vraa, anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This is exactly what I mean. Even if you were a mega billionaire not caring about 100 Grand you should have inspected it personally.

Marcel Massini

paulchua and GatorFL like this.
  4. dgoldenz94

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I can accept normal wear and tear on a CPO car. I cannot accept significant damage that cannot be repaired at any price. This is a question of what is acceptable to the Ferrari brand as CPO. The fact that they still are selling this car without any pictures of the damage is very telling.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Would you feel the same if this was a Kia dealer? Why should Ferrari dealerships get a pass? Back when Ferrari sold less than 5,000 cars a year, life was a different story. But they are wearing big boy pants now. Ask Lee what he thinks about this dealership.

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You should have INSISTED on getting pix, ALL the pix you ever wanted, rather than just send a check. If anybody refuses sending you all the information YOU want (first) then why do you send a check or make any payment? Makes zero sense.
    Buying a car for a 100 Grand online is a bit more demanding than home delivery of a six pack Budweiser.

Marcel Massini

paulchua, vraa, GatorFL and 1 other person like this.
  7. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Well reading thru all of this, it's just a shame that we still have dealers that operate in this fashion ,they clearly knew this car for what it was and totally misrepresented it to the buyer. There is no question the buyer did not do his due diligence as he should have and was very trusting of these people, its' a lesson learned and if he does not get his 1500.00 back that will be the cost of this exercise. IT really looks like this car was never treated well by any of its former owners, I guess just used as a conveyance of sorts with no real luv for the vehicle, that in itself is terrible in my book, it never ceases to amaze me that someone would shell out this kind off money for an FF and then not give much of a you know what about it!

vraa, tritone, EastMemphis and 2 others like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You don't think the dealership had any obligations to disclose known flaws?

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    His lack of due diligence doesnt excuse the dealers unethical actions. And thats a far more important point on a forum filled with buyers. We need to know who the bad apples are...and this dealer is a bad apple

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is the obligation of the potential buyer to ask as many questions as he likes and to absolutely insist on getting as many pix as he wants, especially if you don't want to personally inspect the vehicle.
    Besides all this, what do you expect from a used car with 50'000 miles? The CPO mainly is about the mechanical condition, much less about the cosmetic condition (exterior and interior).
    If you don't ask, don't complain.

Marcel Massini

paulchua, vraa, GatorFL and 1 other person like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

So u pretty much agreeing that a Ferrari dealer(because you say he should insist on getting all of those things (which I don’t disagree btw)) is no different than a Ford dealer in a sense that you can’t fully trust them?
    So in other word don’t trust the brand and the pride and care they should have in their CPO product. That’s what it comes down too in his example. Again not disagreeing that more due dilligence should have been done but it’s supposed to be Ferrari. Makes me sad!

It’s not just Pre-Owned hère it’s CPO meaning stamp of approval by a Ferrari dealer and it’s techs. That’s my only problem here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicPunk88, vraa and anunakki like this.
  12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It was certainly my understanding that CPO meant no paint work of any kind. From a friend's bad experience, though, I know that's not always being adhered to by dealers.

Unfortunately, there is also a sort of loophole a dealer can use. If the paintwork is below a certain dollar value, it is permitted. So, a paint shop that wants the dealer's business will do the work and charge below market rates (at cost?) saying it cost only, for example, $300, but had anyone else needed to have the paintwork done it would be several times that. This means that the car would not have been eligible for CPO. Unscrupulous? Or just normal used car monkey business?

Either way, I wouldn't expect and don't appreciate these games by authorized Ferrari dealers (or any other high-value car dealer), but the largest profits are likely made on used car sales. So, there's an incentive.

Good luck with FNA. I hope they make it right for you somehow.

CW

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I agree to disagree.
    Plus: We have heard only one side of the story.
    And where is the responsibility of the buyer? As you say, lack of due diligence. That says it all.

Marcel Massini

Shark01 likes this.
  14. dgoldenz94

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Sorry, but Ferrari’s own CPO checklist disagrees with you about the interior/exterior condition. It literally says “close scrutiny of paint work/ body work” on the form.

I have had many cars with over 50k miles. None of them were close to being this bad. As I said earlier, my dad’s Lincoln Town Car with 240k miles on it that I drove when I was 16 was in better condition than this.

From Ferrari’s own literature:

“Even among used Ferrari models, those in the Certified Pre-Owned program are among the elite”

Does this look elite to you?

Ferrari presents themselves as a luxury brand of the highest quality. Then you get sold a pile of junk as a CPO car. Sounds legit.

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    WHY should a Ferrari dealer be any better than a Ford or KIA dealer? They are all simple car dealers. Ages ago they were horse traders, not more than that, now they deal with cars.
    I agree that the Ferrari brand is generally regarded higher than the Ford or KIA brand but that means absolutely zero here. It's not about trusting a brand.
    Almost all car manufacturers nowadays have some sort of CPO system. That is simple marketing and promotion.

Go and inspect the object of your desire personally, touch and feel it, smell it, look at it with your own eyes, drive it possibly, then, and ONLY THEN make up your mind.
    The ONLY way not to become disappointed and frustrated. Everybody is responsible for his own action and decision, do not blame others. Ever heard of self-responsibility?

Marcel Massini

paulchua, vraa, Shark01 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

I agree with you. I respect Marcel enormously for his experience and knowledge but on this one I think he is siding a bit too much with the dealer and tends to forget what Ferrari stand for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH11, bjwhite and arizonaitalian like this.
  17. dgoldenz94

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    They should be better because their cars cost 10x what a Ford costs. Here is a link to Continental Ferrari and their description of CPO, found this with a quick 5 second Google search:

https://www.continentalautosports.com/used-vehicles/ferrari-certified-pre-owned-program/

Requirements
    Even among used Ferrari models, those in the Certified Pre-Owned program are among the elite. To be eligible, a model must:

Technical Inspection
    Factory trained Ferrari technicians conducted a thorough series of technical checks and controls created by the Ferrari factory. These 101 checks include everything from ensuring the powertrain and electrical systems function properly to evaluating the bodywork and interior. Any issues that are discovered are addressed using only genuine Ferrari parts. The last step of the inspection is a test drive by the technician.

vraa and anunakki like this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Wouldn't it be better to generally apply a bit more skepticism and caution (before spending online onehundred grand), rather than believe totally blind all the promotion and marketing stuff?

Marcel Massini

19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The crazy part of this saga is that they are now trying to retail the car for more money. Maybe someone will like it better if we charge more ? This car should be wholesaled and not heard from again. Unreal. Best,Kirk.

20. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    The internet is full of people giving bad reviews about products/services/goods... and they actually think they are going to get other people to not deal with such service provider. I would never buy anything if I listened to the internet.

You didn't change one person's mind who is/was about to buy a car from Ferrari San Antonio. I'd say that people are probably tired of people seeing these types of rants and posting it on social media. All these dealers have thousands of touches with customers/potential customers all year. Sometimes things go wrong.

Its a big nothing burger to me. As others have said; other dealers would have told you to go pound sand.

One detail that you seemed to have left out; How many miles on the car when you received it and how many miles when it went back to the dealer; ie., how much use did you have of the car?

Would you feel better if you spent another 15k with same spec and it came pristine or maybe you should have made the $6K repair. You'll probably come out on the losing side if/when you try buying another FF compared to the deal that you got.

fwiw; there was a long running thread about Ferrari Vancouver and a car that was damaged at the dealer, another about a 458 stolen from ferrari newport beach, Several hundreds of postings on those threads... Not one person changed their mind about whether to buy /service a car from that dealer.

Main thing people are going to get from your thread is the captain obvious; get your own eyes on the car, or someone else you know. I bought a recent high value car that was nowhere near a franchised dealer. The buy side broker (acting on my behalf); had a company called lemon squad go and check it out. (it cost $300). There was no surprises, plenty of information and pictures.

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The buyer made his share of mistakes on this deal and for that I consider it cheap to have gotten away with it for just $1500.

It is unfortunate that most of the mistakes centered around believing the word of someone who is supposedly a professional representing an authorized dealer of a brand like Ferrari. I'm sure the lessons learned will be applied to a future purchase.

Regarding the car, neither the mileage or age should matter. The vehicle is sold as CPO which advertises and outlines certain standards and the photos certainly do not reflect the sales pitch of a CPO inspection. For 7 years old perfection is not a reasonable expectation but the images show a car that was abused in its life.

Lastly the dealer was not too wise not to just refund the $1500. Obviously the negative publicity here is much more damaging than that and the true mettle of a business is shown in how it deals with problems. Returned cars are very much a rarity and sometimes you need to suck up a loss. It's a shame they could not see the bigger picture.

ScottS, vraa, tritone and 1 other person like this.
  22. dgoldenz94

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    What is the purpose of a CPO program if you cannot trust that the car is in excellent condition? Everything in Ferrari's literature says you are getting the best of the best! We have scrutinized every inch of this fine automobile! We train our technicians to make sure your car is perfect!

Like I said, this is about what Ferrari considers acceptable under their CPO program. If their corporate office finds this condition to be acceptable, I would never buy a car from a Ferrari dealer again.

When I spoke with the GM, I asked him if he thought it would be acceptable to sell a CPO car that was visually perfect but had been smoked in without disclosing it to the buyer. He said no, of course not. So why do they find it acceptable to not disclose visual damage either that is blatantly obvious to anyone who can look at the car in person?

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wait, aren’t you the guy who nearly had to sue a Ferrari dealer? You know they shouldn’t be trusted....

Cigarzman likes this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    That’s the problem, a flaw to you might be perfectly acceptable to me on a 50k mile car.

simchanova likes this.
  25. dgoldenz94

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Nail on the head.

We aren't talking about a bad haircut, we are talking about a $100,000 car that is represented by the brand as being the best of the best. How do you know I haven't changed anyone's mind? I already had one person contact me that wanted to buy the car and they immediately said no way they would buy this car. So there's one.

I drove the car for ~250 miles over the course of one week. A big chunk of that was driving around to the body shop and the two leather shops. After they agreed to take the car back it wasn't driven at all.

I said earlier in this post that the $6k repair was easy enough. When the interior cannot be repaired at any cost, that is where I drew the line. I am not a leather expert and thought it could be fixed by a reputable shop, but both of them told me it cannot be done.