2014 California Advice | FerrariChat

2014 California Advice

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by lfc8, Sep 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    Hi

Can anyone comment on this deal:
    2014 CPO with 2 year New Power warranty California (Rosso over Nero), some options on the vehicle. 20k miles - from a Ferrari dealer. 108k + taxes. Looking at prices recently, this seems to be a good deal.

Any advice?

thanks

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Seems in the range of similar Calis on cars.com. If you like it, and you're finances are in order, get a PPI and get in the game...T

lfc8 and russellmcg like this.
  3. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    thanks for the reply. Would i need to get a secondary PPI if this is coming from authorized dealer and its CPO with the 2 years of warranty? Thats one of the reasons i was looking at this car compared to private dealers..?

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's been a few threads here where cpo cars have not met expectations. At a minimum, I'd want to see it myself and drive it...T

lfc8 likes this.
  5. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    What all options does it have?

lfc8 likes this.
  6. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    not a ton but I really wanted the LED steering wheel. Shame its missing the Daytona seats

Nero Carpets, Red Brake Calipers, Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel w/LED's, Scuderia Ferrari Shields, In/Out Electrochromatic Mirrors w/Homelink, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Aluminum Driver & Passenger Footrests, 20" Diamond Finish Sport Wheels, Yellow Rev Counter, Satellite Radio, Rosso Colored Special Stitching & Tire Pressure Monitors.

7. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    It might be worth reaching out to a few different dealers and asking what they have in stock or will be getting. I was in the same spot as you and ended up talking to a few other dealerships and holding out until I found the one with all the options I wanted.

One thing I learned, if you are going to drop that kind of money on a car, make sure it has everything you want on it or you will regret it a few months later.

Here are a few contacts at different dealerships that I have worked with and were all top notch. Let them know I sent you there way if you talk with them. They all did a really good job of helping me find the car that I wanted.

Steven Ruffner - Ferrari of Denver - (303) 996 7393 - [email protected]
    Mindy Collins - Boardwalk Ferrari - 214.773.0214 - [email protected]
    Demetrio Merlino - Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale - 954-493-5000 - [email protected]

8. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020

ive been talking to dealers across the nation for a while, inventory is very low everywhere it seems. I would like a T but there is far out of my price range at the moment. Appreciate the contacts I will revisit and speak to them.

For the one the car i described is the price right with the car and warranty package?

9. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    It seems to be about fair from what I have seen of other cars. Would see if other folks chime in on their thoughts.

lfc8 likes this.
  10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The price sounds fair, especially with the CPO and extended warranty. Remember that the warranty won't cover everything, but should cover the hard top and DCT. Make sure you understand what's covered. A personal note: when we shopped for our 2013 Cali 30 we opted for a lighter interior. If you're planning to drive top down and the summers where you live are hot, a black interior will feel much hotter than a light interior. A CPO car should have newer tires and battery, check the dates on those items in any case. Best of luck hunting for "the one"!

11. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    At that price you are tantalizingly close to a Cali T! Surprisingly, prices are up and inventory is down since I bought my Cali T in February. Lots of PPP money here in the USA making people feel a bit more flush, and lots of old guys like me easing our second mid-life crisis and checking off the bucket list. When I began my search there were always a few Cali Ts hovering around $100K, typically with 30K or higher miles, and over 125 cars available on cars.com. Now $125K seems to be the starting point, and less than 100 cars listed. My dealer offers to buy mine every time it's in the shop.

lfc8 likes this.
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Asking price sounds about right.

FWIW, you may or may not want to ask a Ferrari Chat member in the area of this California to put eyes on it for you, in person. Simply to have a second opinion.

Ask the sales person about sticky trim, dash leather condition, and if anything was found during the CPO inspection that was not addressed by the sales department.

CPO does not mean brand new, but it is supposed to mean that it has been inspected and that it meets the minimum requirements as listed.

BTW, there is a new form , you may ask to review it before making your final offer.

Steve

13. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    thanks everyone.
    The battery was replaced as part of the pre-sales and CPO service which is good. Will double check the tires. I do like the light interior but not a massive fan of the Ferrari beige/tan (personal preference).

AD211, SAFE4NOW and russellmcg like this.
  14. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I agree with Ifc8. Is this your first Ferrari? There's nothing like being able to see a car in person. We restricted our search area because we wanted to see and test drive the car. If you can't see it in person, asking a current Ferrari owner to check it out is a good idea. Does the car have the HS package? It makes for a more comfortable drive.

lfc8 likes this.
  15. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    yes first ferrari. It doesnt have the HS package unfortunately. There is a 2014 in San Fran Ferrari dealer with HS but i thought it was a little overpriced at 127k.

Anyone near Continental AutoSports in Chicago area?

16. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    Hi Steve

What is the form you are referring to?
    I double checked sticky buttons yesterday, they were clean. I saw many ferraris for sale with terrible buttons and although a known issue i dont think i could sleep at night :)

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's a regional forum. I'd post there too, and see if anyone would give it a look see. Where are you located?

T

russellmcg likes this.
  18. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    I’m in Cary, NC (just outside Raleigh). The car is in Chicago area

19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    As requested, here are the most recent New Power Warranty inspection requirements.
    One is for vehicles WITH DCT and the second is for PRE-DCT vehicles:

Attached Files:

20. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    Many thanks!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. lfc8

lfc8 Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    I doubled checked the service copies and they have used the 2020 forms.

SAFE4NOW and russellmcg like this.
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'd see if a local F-chatter could lay eyes on it, CPO or not. Check on interior and exterior cosmetic condition, etc. Recent thread here where someone bought a CPO FF that had paint and interior wear issues.

Heck, if it weren't for the 'rona, I'd say fly up and drive it yourself! Small price to pay for a purchase of this size. All this being said, my wife and I bought our Cali from Miller Motorcars in CT without ever laying eyes on it until they dropped it off with Steve at Boardwalk! 4.5 years later, it's proven to be a great experience all around!

T

23. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I would also suggest you have the dealership Facetime you to walk you around the car. Have them show you the interior parts to make sure the leather looks good and there is nothing that stands out to you.

lfc8 and tomc like this.
  24. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Another 15 to 20 K will put you in a Cali T, more money but, a LOT more car. Is it worth it yes!
    Google the road tests of Cali vs Cali T you will be amazed at what you get!
    Just IMHO and I drove both to compare before buying Cali T last December.
    Good Luck!

RamsHmb, lfc8 and russellmcg like this.
  25. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I agree with SLViper1.

Having owned the California and then going to the California-T, it's like night and day between those two cars. If I had to do it over, I would have just gone with the T out of the gate. It is a far superior car in almost every way, in my opinion. Everything from the entertainment system to the raw power is just overall better.

If it only comes down to 15-20k difference, I would save up and just go for the T.

lfc8 likes this.