Why I hate McLaren | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Why I hate McLaren

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #201 Igor Ound, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    You mean like Mclaren suddenly starting to favour exclusivity after they couldn’t find half of the buyers for their umpteenth multimillion special edition model based on another variant of their same old and only car? Agree.

boxerman likes this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That can't be real. Who in the world would approve something like that???

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Likely same who approved this Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Then wonder why they’re going out of business...

Flavio_C likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

That was a custom jib/rebody built to a particular customers states. Its not amass market product so irrelevant who does or does not like it. Peronaly I love it in a batmobile sort of way. I have issues with some of the mechanical underpinnings though.

on a plastic car, as with the C8 vette styling can always be easily foxed. Platforms and powertrains much harder to change in a given gneration..

Igor Ound likes this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

This is built purely for function. In that regard it has an indistrial brutality to it that is quite appealing. But youd have to be really into the track to appreciate that.

As Jim G shows you can have good form even when function is dictated by track needs.

In that sense the senna shows a lack of stylistic taste and vision that plagues Maclren. Theyre all over the map, its either hey look at me lambo with outrageous colors and quyestionable styling/570/720, or gen 1 nsx slips into the background as per MP12. Its like subaru, they just dont know how to style, or theyre trying for somehting different and just missing, thats a leadership failure. But then the same failure is apparent at aston with the new vantage. They took a styling Icon and in gen 2 just blew it completly, sales reflect that.

Igor Ound likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Or assumptions and assertions based on prior personaly experienced facts as stated.
    Not like vette guys who never go near a track in any seriousness but posit how great their cars are on track.
    Plus its car forum. If the only standard is that you have to own the car, and use it for a year on road and track, then frankly there are maybe 3 people who can post and 2 of those are checkbook enthusiasts who dont and cant really use their car to the max anyway, so its just an opinion.

Or magazines who test for a day positing an opinion, one distorted by advertsing needs..

Alcav5 and Igor Ound like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Well you have people like me who actually own these cars and other's just giving opinions based on something they read on the net or heard through someones 3rd cousin.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Great reply from someone who has not owned or driven any of the cars in question. Kind of said actually. There are a lot more people than you think that drive these cars. In about 3 weeks we have a sick line up of cars going to the track. Ferraris, Mac's, Porsches and some others. Although I love my McLarens I will have my Pista this day.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Since you have a psita, and a 720, why not add to the dialogue by telling us why you prefer to use the pista, the pros and cons of each, and why you think a pista is better than a 765.. Or do you just critique.
    Perhaps youll post some personal lap times too,

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Or maybe info from the guy who owns 4 of them, takes them all to the track, and from his track instructor who actualy you know races cars for a living and has perspective. Plus ones own seat time as well generously given by owners..

But besides critiquing othrs opinions, why not give is some detailed owners perspective on the cars, as well as say how you use them, you know add to the dialogue and knowledge based on you actual experience being an owner. Maybe soek detail about roads driven, how the car felt and contrasted with others you own, plus maybe even some of your track times so we can have a guage.

I would sincerely like to know,

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #212 BJK, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    How's 5 for exclusive? Special Editions based on a Special Edition!!! Probably $2-$3 million. All SOLD before built. Does it get any better for a 'Mclaren Hater'?! :eek: :D

McLaren Senna GTR LM - celebrates the 25th anniversary of its first Le Mans race in 1995
    https://www.automobilemag.com/news/mclaren-senna-gtr-lm-edition/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    tomc likes this.
  14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    No idea who you’re talking to but if he’s on my ignore list has been there for a while and for a good reason it seems

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #215 Igor Ound, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Going in the right direction. Next: a special edition of a special edition of a special edition, 0 units, 0kg, $100.000.000
    All sold!

And btw. Stay on topic please. This is “why I hate mclaren” unfortunately now, not “BJK regurgitating promo material and youtube videos as usual cause he has nothing to do all day and hopes someone from the motor industry will give him a job when he grows up” :rolleyes:

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If Liberace was batman maybe. :p Ferrari would have never approved that monster no matter the money

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Maybe
    But there were plenty of Ferrari specials for the sultan of Brunei which were questionable.

this design is more Art Deco which I like and its at least original and cohesive.

plus look at all those weird zagatos and those seem loved

Igor Ound likes this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have over 5000 posts and many are describing the differences in how these cars drive and feel, just do some searches. Who said a Pista is better than a 765? I wouldn't make such a comment without firsthand experience and mine doesn't come in for a few months. I am betting that the 765 is on another level though.

If you are interested in my lap times, I will post after my next event.

BJK likes this.
  19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    https://www.motor1.com/news/445088/mclaren-elva-special-configurator/

“McLaren says the production cut is a result of limited availability of parts and production slots on the recently reopened line. Actually, McLaren's specific words were "no more than 149 Elvas will now be built," suggesting the number might be even less. There's no mention of other circumstances behind the production cut, but there's also no mention of order cancellations so it's unclear if McLaren had buyers with cash-in-hand for 249 Elvas, never mind the 399 originally planned.”

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #220 Igor Ound, Sep 22, 2020
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

/\ This guy just makes **** up. Another uninformed comment. Most super cars are NOT electric and in fact are going hybrid just as McLaren described. No wonder he has me on ignore, he doesn't like getting called out on his ignorant posts. Maybe if he was in the market for any of these cars he would know better.

BJK likes this.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok yes, would love to know your lap times.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

While i like them, it seems like Mclaren really is struggling. They had already celebrated their victory with the 650LM. I guess they now are just celebrating them participating in the race. Maybe next year they can celebrate them qualifying.

Igor Ound and BJK like this.
  24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #224 BJK, Sep 22, 2020
    25th anniversary of placing 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 13th in McLaren's very first Le Mans race. This should be it - for 5 yrs maybe? :)
    The Senna GTR is a genuine track weapon and 'worthy' of the liveries. (LM gets 20 hp bump and higher redline, close to 9,000 rpm) :cool:

Gh21631 likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Funny enough they are doing better than Ferrari in F1. Hopefully they climb out of this financial hole. There is a lot of work ahead of them but I believe they will pull it out.

BJK likes this.