Lusso battery replacement tips needed please | FerrariChat

Lusso battery replacement tips needed please

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Il Co-Pilota, Oct 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hi gang

Have any of you done a diy battery replacement in the Lusso? Have an Antigravity on its way, so thought I wanted to check and see if anyone could give a quick run-down of the proceedure, or have a neat trick or two?

I take it that it is similar to the FF, but why start from scratch if there's an opportunity to learn from someone who has done it right?:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I’m in for the procedure as well. Have a Braille battery coming to replace on my lusso.

3. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm curious, what model year Lusso are you changing the battery on and mileage. Also, daily driver or occasional use vehicle? I have a 2018 with 2,800 miles. The vehicle always starts but it seems to struggle more recently on cold starts. Also, which model Anti-Gravity or Braille batteries did you choose to replace the oem battery. Joe

4. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    2017 lusso for me, daily driver. Battery is fine, but same as you. Firing up seem little struggle. I went with Group 49 Braille Endurance AGM for my lusso. I replaced with a 60ah antigravity LI battery on my speciale 6 months ago. (No issue at all, never have tender connected)

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    2018 car. It's the winter daily and is used from October through April. It sat on the tender over summer, but the magnetic plug came dislodged, so it ran the battery down. Got it back on with a high current charger, but it has issues picking up the TMPS, the engine needs to be running for the boot lid to close properly etc. So I don't want to waste time or worry about it, i.e new battery. About 10k km on it.

If you start having issues, no point in waiting, just get it over with. Compared to the price of our cars, batteries are dirt cheap, even the Antigravity. If you're in the US, you can also opt for the Braille B10049 AGM which is a staggeringly good AGM battery that outperforms everything else on the market. I chose to give the Antigravity a try, as I cannot get a Braille AGM here in Europe, and I like the idea of the built in booster function. I could opt for a Braille Lithium, but honestly, 2999 Euro for a battery in a car where weight does not matter makes be cringe. Just picked up a Ctek Lithium XS today for cheap at the local autoparts store, so good to go.

Get your battery changed, why worry.

spyderman, PTG1 and vraa like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just a quick bump on this. Is there really nobod who has done a diy on the Lusso battery?

7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Apparently not!
    I did the DIY battery swap on the FF (documented with photos on FChat) but it looks like you’ll be the first on the Lusso.
    Please let us know how it goes and how similar/different it is from the FF.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Will do. Looking at the drawings it is virtually the same as the FF.

At the end of the day it is just a battery. The day I am defeated by a battery replacement I will hang my tools up and burn the garage to the ground:p

550nitis, ScottS, papou and 3 others like this.
  9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Just dealing with all the issues made me just take it to the Ferrari dealer, yeah it's extra cost but I just didnt wanna bother carrying/lugging/installing a heavy ass battery

timjen88 likes this.
  10. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    i did a diy on my lusso's battery as theres no ferrari dealer nearby. the most difficult part is lifting it up almost 90 degrees as its heavy. the the insulator also has this metal drain/plug/button (cant remember) but mine got stuck on the undertray causing my battery to get caught when lifting.

if you have a dealer who can do it for you, let them do it. i had two people lift the battery. this is by far the most difficult battery change ived encountered.

vraa likes this.
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Definitely a PITA. Make sure you don't hurt your back. It's the tight fitting design of plastic surround on the firewall side, combined with the insulation sleeve with that pressed button, that makes it so difficult.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thanks guys. Sounds similar to the FF. If everything else fails, I'll wheel the trusty engine hoist out. It will be a two man job and we're both in pretty good shape, so will see if we can't lug it out the simple way.

13. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hopefully, you can document your efforts. I am sure we would all appreciate any pictures or words of wisdom. Best of luck.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Will try:)

15. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I did my FF battery on my own without a hoist :p. It’ll be a doddle for two of you with a hoist!:D

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Trust me Reg, the hoist will only be pulled out if it is absolutely needed:) I also have one of those carrying straps for batteries that that attach to the bindings, so I see little point:) Just looked it over again, and it's the exact same as FF. Been there, done that:)

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    It appears to be the same as the FF and F12. I did the F12 under the same notion that I would hang it up if not able to do a battery change myself. Single hardest battery replacement in my history. There are only a few millimeters of slack in every dimension. Getting the false terminal off the NEG terminal of the battery buried so deep and under the blanket is the first challenge. The worst is the removal of the battery/blanket combo with that vapor breather tube pressed fitting. The last is replacing the vapor breather tube ensuring it snakes below and out the correct opening in the bottom cover. Admittedly, it was humbling. I would charge you more than the dealer does to do it. No need for a lithium but its your money.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I didn't choose a lithium just to get a lithium and save weight. It's a Lusso, that weight saving is pointless. I chose it because I wanted to try the restart feature and see if needed be, it makes for an even more reliable daily driver. It is not the cheapest battery, but all things it is not bad at all. I like Braille, but here in Europe 3000 Euro for a battery is ridiculous. I paid less than a third of that for the Anitigravity. Looking at our expenses for our cars and how we use them, I think if the Antigravitg not only has the ability to hold its charge, but also the ability to shut down should it sit for that long, it's a bargain to be rid of any concerns and just have fun.

19. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Why is Ferrari so hell bent on making a normally simple procedure of removing a battery so difficult. I installed an Antigravity 40AH to my 458 which was pretty straightforward but one look at my 488's battery placement is putting me right off. At least with the 488 the magnetic battery tender near the rear number plate makes it easy to keep the battery from going flat..

20. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not yet. Time, not enough time. Maybe Monday or Tuesday.

22. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Are we down on Interstate, had mine in South Florida heat rock solid..

23. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Same here. I researched and called some local shops. Most were scared to attempt it and the dealer was helpful as well. But, they stuck that fear in me the computer would need some special reset after. I didn’t want to risk anything so I took it to them.

Plus the battery is HUGE and heavy....I went with interstate and that’s what my dealer said they use anyways....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The battery system is designed for you as an owner to be able to easily disconnect it. If you look in your owners manual, there's the simple procedure to reset the system. Very easy.

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't think anyone is down on Interstate, but when a Braille B10049 is less than 100 dollars more, I don't really see why go with anything else.:)

kimwizzzuuu likes this.