488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 76 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Absolutely right. That would be the equivalent of the current US market falling 20%. Massive bargain.

2. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Here's some real world experience.

The Pista market has definitely taken a bump up.

Just sold my 2019 Pista coupe to my F-dealer 2 weeks ago after owning it for almost 2 years.

A few months ago, I put the car out to a few selective dealers and wholesalers. The numbers were about $40k behind MSRP. When I finally made the decision to let it go (tough decision, I admit), my local F-dealer whom I have a long standing excellent relationship essentially paid me MSRP. Those other dealers that I called a few months began reaching out to me right after I made the deal to sell it back to my F-dealer, some going as far as offering me $10k more than what I paid. The relationship with my dealer mattered more than the $10k profit I'd have made. My car had about 900 miles.

But again, it proves the market has taken a bump up. I'm guessing it's because the F8 isn't as exciting even though it shares the same engine as the Pista. And the Pista remains the best looking 4xx / F8 series car to date. At least that's my best guess.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Good for you - amazingly though, it's a bump compared to "$40K behind MSRP" of a few months ago, when everybody was still loudly claiming cars were going for more than MSRP...

4. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    Lucky you, i sold mine with about 7000km on the clock, (around 4000miles) trackday included, for about 20% less then Msrp.
    and that is correct for a used car in that market segment in my region (europe).

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    May I enquire why you sold your Pista?

6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Awesome news...well for you not me..LOL...I agree the Pista is the best looking mid engine car in a long long time. But...900 miles in 2 years...I couldn't do that...I'd have to drive something like that more. My 2019 488GTB has 3300 miles on it...and I am going out in it tonight...love it so much!

MANDALAY and PTG1 like this.
  7. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    was happy with the car, expect seating position.
    Making space for new cars incoming 765lt, Amg Gt Black series, and driving lately more in my Gt2Rs on the track than i did in my Pista.
    It was just the right timing for my to sell it.
    Tracked used cars are not that easy to sell specialy when there are others almost new ones waiting for buyers.

Coincid and Ash Patel like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Would you kindly advise why you sold your Pista.

9. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    #1884 njcycleguy, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    First - I'm in the US in case that wasn't clear. Europe is a totally different market. Seems most late model F cars always depreciate faster there.

Second- I sold it because I originally wanted an "Aperta". I was told, "no Apertas for US market". Technically that turned out to be true - but it obviously didn't, since the moniker used was "Spider". Silly, yes.

I was one of the first to get an allocation, as I had my deposit in for 2 years and was somewhat involved with Ferrari Challenge. Once they announced the Spider, it was too late since my allocation was already locked for the coupe, and Ferrari advised that you couldn't have a Spider allocation if you had a Coupe allocation here in the US. Whether that was lip service or not, I don't know because I am aware that there are people who somehow managed to get both. (I did not have to jump thru hoops to get my Pista allocation, like buy a GTC or a Portofino)

I hated selling it - it was amazing. I have a 488 spider which fills the void somewhat but it is a different animal and I miss the Pista. Now I'm planning on an F8 spider, but can't decide on a color/wheel combo. (I dislike the forged wheel and the base wheel is - well - the base wheel).

Incidentally on Pista values, now that COVID is on the rise again - worldwide - who knows where values are going to go - especially as we head into the winter months here in the US. I'll keep my eye on the market, especially if the numbers come down on a preowned Pista Spider.

Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #1885 ryalex, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Oh the base wheels are blaaaaah. I assume people are just getting those as no cost in order to buy aftermarket. I like thin spoked wheels, I think with the movement and lines of the F8 it looks best with a wheel like these Brixtons:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I also love BBS LM but the lip looks a little thick:

ANRKY. Might be a little too busy.

I'd like to see it on some of the racing look HREs.

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    A lot of those wheels look like snowflakes ❄️ or look more like a luxury wheel and not a performance type of looking wheel...not snowflake luxury look is not really my preference ...to each there own though

ScrappyB, Shadowfax, PTG1 and 2 others like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Yep, I pretty much don't look at anything unless it is 5 spoke. LA FERRARI !

Senna1994 and mdrums like this.
  13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep thats it, its always good to keep it classic, anymore its true they are in a luxury wheel sector that I'm not sure suits a performance car to well
    Sent from my SM-F916B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MANDALAY likes this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Pista value has definitely solidified, but I doubt it has much to do with the F8 underwhelming. Instead, it speaks to the relative strength of the high-end car market. Every single marque and model has experienced a similar resurgence in pricing, probably due to a combination of supply interruptions on the new car side, and overall demand increase (huge government stimulus, changes in disposable resources from lack of vacation travel, etc).

spyderman likes this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. I’ve seen the same Pistas on the market for months.

mdrums and PTG1 like this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The whole high end market is crazy right now. Down in Australia just on covid the numbers of 488 GTB hovered around 28 with many 2018.

Currently only 8 and most are higher mileage and 2016's. Not even our dealer has one for sale. People are buying. Pistas are making an appearance and then being sold.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Going to be awesome buying time when this current bubble pops!

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    it won’t pop. Money is too cheap and not getting more expensive for years.

SLDriver likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There are numnerous Pistas for sale on auto trader with the majority of them listed between $430K-$460K. There is one -stripeless under $400K. There are a few F8 selling for $360-$380K.

20. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
  21. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    What’s the Msrp on a piloti?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  22. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Depends on how it is optioned...I am going to visit the dealer and see of I can find out. If anyone else knows chime in.

23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think it’s similar to a high optioned Pista cause it already comes with every option. So maybe 500kish

24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Has to be more than a highly optioned Pista. I would guess they would try to squeeze another $25,000 on top of a highly optioned Pista. Why because they can, LOL.

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I do not understand the piloti hype on resale.

Boomhauer and Coincid like this.