430 - Scud with challenge wheels | FerrariChat

430 Scud with challenge wheels

Discussion in '360/430' started by ttforcefed, Oct 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    anyone running challenge wheels on a scud? pics?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Too narrow in the front (7.5" vs 8") and would likely upset handling (understeer) when pushed.

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Darn. I cant live with grey or black wheels on the scud. What do i do? Not an aftermarket fan.

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They were available in silver and gold, too, though only the gold was a regular option over the standard gray. Paint code for silver is PPG 36520, Argento Nurburgring or Argento Metallizzato (same color).

Do not like dark wheels, either. Gold looks good on some colors of Scuderias/16Ms

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Paint them?

6. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Paint as suggested or powdercoat.

While I'm a big fan of krylon on rifles for work, I'd say proooooobably step up from Krylon for wheels. ;)

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    360trev and armedferret like this.
  8. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  9. Audipwr1

Audipwr1 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    Centerlocks are a misery to deal with - Porsche world people go the other way and convert out of them

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    What a bunch of *******.

... It's really not difficult if you are prepared. If you expect your local tire fitter to help you then thats where all the trouble starts.

Joking aside all you really need is a long torque wrench and appropriate socket and they are just as easy to get off as any other nut. I tend to carry a long (calibrated socket wrench) which fits neatly in its case behind the seats to torque up 550Nm required. Been doing this for over 10 years now without a problem. Also acts as a great anti theft device

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

9650max, clean512 and armedferret like this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ha. i def dont wanna deal with center locks for a daily driver...

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Work fine, look great, and are same width as Scuderia/16M wheels. Not that big a deal if you have the right tool, like Trev said. I did for my old Daytona after the eared knock-offs were replaced with hex nuts so she could pass DOT.

14. Audipwr1

Audipwr1 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    I had all the tools trucker brake, 3/4 torque wrench the special grease- I’ll race you versus 5 lug with a impact gun any day for titles :)

centerlocks great with air jacks and air impact gun and replacing the castle nut every 10 hours ie in a race car

personally hated them in street car form

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I hear you but I'm not sure it's really as bad as some people make out, even on a daily. On an occasion car it's absolutely not a problem. On the face of it, it sounds like a hassle doesn't it?

... However I would say to ask yourself this;

Q. How often do you take the wheels off ?

I bet its an extremely rare event (probably once a year or less) and even then its probably the local tire fitter or mechanic who is doing the spannering, not you.

Sounds worse in theory than in practice and there are real unsprung mass performance benefits to centre nut, ask F1 teams.

Central nut helps make the wheel have less stress points so it can be made lighter. The mass is also much closer to absolute wheel center which helps performance. On factory SKF central nut hubs all the weight of the hub in the most central position it improves rotational mass attributes of both the rim and its fixing too.

On safety (they are reverse threaded so actually would tighten if anything driving forward) so it's not really an issue either.

The minor inconvenience of having a suitable tool to remove them isn't such a problem given that they also act as a theft deterrent and looks so damn cool too..

imahorse, 9650max and armedferret like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Definitely- but the pic from the website you sent me - those look like regular bolts so i can just run them that way no?

360trev likes this.
  17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    These are a hub adaptor, which saves over 20k on buying sfk race hubs. They attach using normal studs and then you have the central nut for affixing the rims in usual way.

Compared to actual factory SKF hubs there are differences. Ofcourse you don't get benefits of using race hubs like not worrying about going over rumble strips at high speed on a track and slight weight benefits (race hubs are very heavy duty vs road bearings and can take more abuse) but other than that they work just the same and easy bolt on off arrangement

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Grazie!

360trev likes this.
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    There was a sponsor on here selling them so check out if they still have fchat deals going on..

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The centerlock adapter developed by Taurino Racing / Capristo USA requires roughly 450 Nm torque. You actually don’t need the super long wrenches. The short Snap-on torque wrench (about $900) will do.

Since you do not have a spare tire in the car, not sure why you’d need to be worried. That’s what AAA is for :). Just keep the lug key in the car.

I’ll have to warn the coating Taurino uses on the centerlock will rust over time. One will eventually need to get them refinished, perhaps powder-coated.

I’d offer my set to TTForce, but my wheels are black :(.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Btw. I would love to see a Scud with CS wheels. I think they would look superb. Just run a slightly wider tire to make up for the slightly smaller width. The CS wheels look more motorsport than Scud wheels.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    challenge wheels aquired!

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev