512 BB Aftermarket Wheels Question | FerrariChat

512 BB Aftermarket Wheels Question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2dinos, Oct 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a set of 18" 5 spoke Compomotive 3-piece wheels I'm not using. I went back to stock TRX setup as the TRX tires are available, and I like how they perform (when fresh). The Compomotive's have maybe 500 miles on them and are pretty crisp, clean and flashy. Kind of the 288 GTO look except Compomotive uses more of the small bolts holding them together. I got them on the car from PO who paid ~11K for the set. I'm looking for opinions on value. I feel the BB is more of a collectible than a track machine. They have a lot of pizzazz, but the BB is pretty sexy looking in primer with 4 flat tires i.m.h.o. .

Just wondering if I were to offer for sale, where to begin?? Is 8k ridiculous, or giving them away? Did they plummet to 50% the day they were delivered? I realize the market on Boxer accessories is pretty specific, and fairly small. At some point I would just hang onto them. Maybe when the TRX's age-out, and I just want some less expensive hi perf tires to enjoy?

Appreciate your opinions fellow F-chatters. Thanks!

2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
  3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Your car must be a BBi, not a BB, if TRX are the stock tyres.

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Unfortunately as Ferraris age, the market for aftermarket parts shrinks extremely rapidly.

You may have a buyer at $8k...you may also wait months to years for that buyer to come along.

Mind you I say this while designing a set of wheels for my TR.

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks guys.

Yes they were on a BBi. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they fit BB / BBi. I suspect 365BB too I'd suspect.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day 2dinos,

It is hard to say what the value of these rims would be, as there are now more options available for Boxer rims than there was a number of years ago. For example Group4 have larger versions of the Boxer style rims for 2500 GBP ($3230 USD) for set of four and so there will no doubt be a comparison of these rims/prices to your used Compomotives. Another, but not a direct, comparison... there are a set of two used Gotti Rims for a Boxer (9.5" width) with a price of $500 USD for the pair on Ebay right now (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-512-Gotti-Wheel-Rims-365-BB-9-1-2-X-16-J55B-Pair-512-BB-512-BBi-/153095689793). Obviously your Compomotives would be worth more, the the reality is that it is a very small and specialty market and so the current market price is probably lower than what you would expect. If anything, list them on here, the Ferrari Market Letter, Ebay, etc and see if there are any interested parties. My feeling is that it might be more value for you to keep them and use them and safe-keep your originals.

Cheers,

Sam

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you Sam,

They are quite 'cool' for sure. I'm weighing the likelihood of using again vs the space they take up to store. I just checked out the Group 4. I didn't see the modular 3-piece design with center disk / 2 shells / o-rings / bolts. The Compomotive's centers are cast in the UK, and the spun shells (rims) ae made in Germany. I believe the bolts too are made in Germany. (Oddly, the many multiples of 7mm bolts are stainless steel, when for a small cost increase, they could've been Titanium - oh well. I suspect the option wasn't well advertised.) I think those 17" BB replicas offered by Group 4 are a great option.

The prob with the Compomotive is the character is more sport racing and not originally offered on the BB. I once had my car mistaken for a 288 GTO because of those wheels. Of course amongst Ferraristi's, still should be obvious, but my point is how it changed the cars character. Imho, the BB body's sexy curves clings to the generation attached more toward the 365 Daytona and can 'pull off' the look with the modular wheels, I think it looks better going back the other way toward the gold Campy's.

8. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    They do look cool. Had some wheels like that on my 328.
    Resale with all the center hardware and good mileage/date code tires might be ok. But it is a small market. Group 4 wheels sell very slowly, the Gotti wheels on eBay have been there a long time.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Somewhat related point, I would love to see what these wheels would look like on a BB!

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    There's a pic out there which means it's probably on Google Image. Again, the BB can "pull it off" because there's some amazing race prepped Boxers out there which use them. A Daytona ~~~~~ I've never seen 3 piece modular wheels used.

I really like the 17" Group 4 Boxer concept as it looks 'right'.

I do agree, all of these must sell at a glacial pace. I've found NOS stuff for the Boxer which probably only existed 'cause there's soo few. But, when stuff dries up, Let the games begin!

11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    FWIW, I've got a set of Group4 wheels for my BBi and they're very high quality, made for Group4 by Speedline I think. I've got P Zero's on them and the difference in them vs the Michelin Metric is huge.
    I use the G4 wheels for "daily use" and the OEM wheels for shows.

2dinos likes this.
  12. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I want to share I had P Zero's on my AMG and liked them. Very competent tire. When I replaced I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport and am amazed at the cornering grip and confidence they inspire. Also, they just roll perfectly. It's like the balance is spot on. Either of these would be great on the Boxer and transform the handling. One thing about the MichelinTRX, when they are fresh, they are much-much better. I'm actually happy with them. But, P Zeros on 17"s for the Boxer sounds like great fun!

The 18" Compomotive w Michelin Pilots stuck great, but were tough at slow speeds, and sensitive to the roadway if it wasn't perfect.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have wheels made by Carobu, theyre more 288 style but I ordered them not polished. Light and strong.
    Freinds have the Group 4 sheels which look so close to stock you really need to do d ouble take before you realize it.

Almost any modern tire is going to have more grip than a TRX so you dotn have to go crazy. Peronalyy I woudl go with 225 fronts and 275 rears. For context the tetarossas had 225 fronts and even the Maclaren F1 was only 235 fronts. I dorve a kining 512 with 215 fronts and the steering feel was magic compared to a stockl BBI 240 michelin front. The narrower tire is great for steering feel, it makes the front end responsive and alive. Wider fronts make the car heavy and dull at lower speeds and the extra grip of woder fronts with modern rubber is moot, youll run out of seat and body lean before you run out of grip.. 275 rears fit perfectly and remove the anxiety of the snapping rear.

The other alternative if you have a BB with 15 inch rims is to just fit Avon semi race tires. Theyre suyper stcky, wont really last more than 4-5k miles but given Boxer mileage that a good few years.

2dinos likes this.