360 Check Engine Light | FerrariChat

360 Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jerryf, Oct 19, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
    My 360 has Fabspeed headers, Hyperflow Cats and Fabspeed exhaust. It has a constant check engine light, I am told by the previous owner it is due to the Hyperflow Cats running cooler than the restrictive factory Cats. This sounds reasonable since an apparent comparison is made between entry and exit Cat temperatures. Surely many others have had this problem. Fabspeed sells a tiny Cat with the sensor and the end of it, apparently to address this issue. Any ideas? Has anyone used the Fabspeed gadget? Other suggestions? Thanks...

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You can try many things .... in the end what works is to re-flash the ECU to fake out the cat monitor.

3. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I myself would first read out the code to see what the check -engine light is referring to,.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There are about six codes that would be thrown in this scenario: Cat efficiency, slow O2 signals for each cat and each O2 sensors. A very well known issue among the non-OEM header users.

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Do as suggested above or you might call Fabspeed directly.
    Ff you do a search you'll find several threads on this issue with varying degrees of success using the mini cats. If I recall another brand of mini cats has proven successful. Bigdaddysgarage. But before you go buying them review the earlier threads.

7. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Did you check the actual codes with a scan tool? Just in case you're not masking a more serious issue?

8. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    420 or P0420 is not a 360 code.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you sure you aren't confusing O2 sensors with thermocouples? There are two oxygen sensors and one thermocouple per engine bank on the F360. The thermocouple is measuring temperature.

The "tiny cats" are for use with the oxygen sensors.

11. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
    I'm experimenting, if my problem is the O2 sensor, as I was told by the former owner then tiny cats may help. If it's the thermocouple I'm not sure what to do. Perhaps they need replaced. I miss my 328 at this point, everything was pretty straightforward, analog and mechanical....

12. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I agree with Yelcab, since you are using the Fabspeed system, best would be to flash the ECU's and increase the readings range (if the cats reading is the reason)
    The 360 is a great and a bullet prove car once is sorted out. I had both 328 and 360, zero problem with the 328 (but i bought it new in 1989) and only a few initial with the 360. Good luck, i am sure you will find the fix !