Moving the car without starting? | FerrariChat

Moving the car without starting?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by VG221, Oct 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    Hey guys... does anyone know how to put an F12 in neutral and move the car without starting it? I have my car plugged into a tender and just wanted to move the car a few inches so the tires don’t flat spot. But you can’t start the car while it’s on a tender and I really didn’t want to have to go through the whole process of unplugging, starting, moving, plugging in again every time I want to move the car a few inches. Is it possible or no? Thanks..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No it is not possible.
    Why is itca big deal to unplug? Unplug one simple plug move car. Plug in.

Anyhow, the proceedure is easy.

1. Start engine
    2. Put into neutral
    3. Release parking brake if on
    4. Shut off car.
    Immediately after shutting car off in neutral, turn car back on without starting it. This needs to be done within three seconds of you turning off the engine.
    5. Shut off car

Car is now in carwash mode and will remain in that when you shut the car off. You can still engage and disengage the parking brake with the charger on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Or to avoid flat spots put on winter tires and drive it through out the winter

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

There must be something though, you had to go le time get my ff towed and it was stuck in park , car wouldn’t move. Tow truc couldn’t move it, my mechanic came and he did some thing in the trunk of the ff (underneath it actually) and it released I assume the parking brake and let the car role. I’ll have to check what it was in user manual, maybe u know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    The 458 has a way to manually disconnect the tranny gearing while off. It is essentially a small tool and the turn of a bolt. Car can then be rolled. I’m sure there must be something for the OP.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Natkingcolebasket69

Sorry IPhone- meant had to get the FF Towed once and mechanic put car in neutral via some release in/under the boot. Not sure what it is

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its there for emergencies. Not sure if they really intend for you to use it in your garage. You could just over inflate the tires- just have a look at the max psi on the tire sidewalls. I usually will back off a few psi. And put a note on the window/ somewhere you will see it/ that will remind you not to drive off on the over inflated tires. Marcel's and LBBP's anti-flat spot things are very good too. I've had good experience with these also:

https://www.tirecradle.com

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There is indeed a release mechanism, but as Caeruleus touched upon, it is not something you should use unless absolutely necessary. Not only is the tool fragile, it is quite easy to "overdo" it. Also, on some models you need to reset the system after. In other words, just don't.

I cannot understand what the problem is just disconnecting the charger, start the car, put it in car wash mode, and hook it back up.

As for easily avoiding flat spots? Get a set of flat stoppers and set pressures to 50 psi.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Ah! Makes sense.

Yes don’t understand why OP doesn’t do as u say. Will take 5-10 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    IIRC from the manual, you will need to go to the dealer to have the car reset after messing around that trunk mechanism. BTW, even if it is not for getting the engine fully warmed up and engine oil circulated, you will still want to run the AC periodically in the winter to get the refrigerant circulated to lubricate the AC system's seals.

How's this: Just jack up the front end and turn the wheels, then jack up the rear and dismount/mount the wheels in a different position. Sorry, that will probably takes more effort and time.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I use the raceramps posted earlier and a couple pounds inflation under the max pressure. However, the rears are massive and barely fit into the widest model ramp. You only need to jack in one place on each side to get both front/rear up enough to slip the ramps under. When lifting, make sure you use wheel blocks on opposite side for safety.