430 water/oil pump rebuild | FerrariChat

430 water/oil pump rebuild

Discussion in '360/430' started by gatago, Oct 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I just rebuilt my water/oil pump. I'm not going to post a step by step since it's pretty simple but if anyone has any questions let me know.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just curious what made you the rebuild ...what symptoms issues did you have

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    rubber gaskets at best have a 15 year life. One of the gaskets connecting the pump to the inlet pipe failed so I needed to remove the pump and figured while it’s out, might as well replace all gaskets, seals, and bearings. They were bound to fail soon anyway and the seal on the water side bearing was broken (not a leak issue, just first step of bearing failure).There are weep holes between the mechanical seals that you would see either oil or coolant after a failure.

flash32 and armedferret like this.
  4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know the O-ring seals can be purchased from McMaster; can the bearings be found as well or does one need a new unit if the bearings go?

5. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    there’s a guy that sells a rebuild kit on eBay that includes the bearings, mechanical seals for water and oil, and a tube of “gasket maker” for the housing. I won’t bother with link because they break too quickly but a quick search brings it up. I bought the oil side o-rings from McMasters and the external o-rings and gaskets can be purchased from scuderia. I tried buying them from ricambi but their website makes it impossible to find anything now, not sure if they even sell it individual parts anymore, can’t tell.

armedferret likes this.
  6. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good info, thanks for throwing it out there!!

7. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Oh, I just wanted to make sure to note that removing the pump is NOT an easy job (which is why I chose to rebuild as preventative maintenance). It's not complicated, and the shop manual is clear and correct.But:

Standard wrenches/sockets will not work. I had to buy some cheap angled wrenches and grind down around the head of the tool to be able to get into the space the bolts are in.
    You have to fight for every 1/8th turn of the wrench for upper oil pump section bolts . I have Fabspeed headers, so other headers might have less interference but I don't think so.
    Upper water pump bolt is very hard to see/get to and there is very little space to get tools in. I ended up having to use an allen wrench, and needed to use a small piece of pipe to gain some leverage too break it free.

The rebuild was pretty easy as far as pump rebuilds go. But if it's your first time, you need to either have a press or rig yourself a screw press out of large sockets and high strength bolts/nut.
    IMPORTANT Last Tip, there is a lock washer (and tension washer) securing the oil side bearing in, and it's hidden between the bearing and the oil seal. Make sure you remove that before trying to press the bearing out so you don't tear up your pump.

Good luck guys and gals

armedferret likes this.