Complete 812 Exhaust install | FerrariChat

Complete 812 Exhaust install

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by jjc, Nov 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjc

jjc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 14, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    John J Castrogiovanni
    Will anyone provide their experiences with installing a complete 812 exhaust from IPE, F1 or Power-Craft.
    Decats, Sport Cats, ECU tunes, Fabspeed, CEL, warning lights, drivability, sound.
    Are you happy with your install and the brand you decided to go with.
    What would you do different? Thanks in advance.

2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I can’t speak to a full exhaust on my personal 812, as I only did an x pipe. In my opinion at minimum you need an xpipe.

I have heard full novitec systems with no cats and it is extremely loud. I would not recommend doing it unless you want as loud of a car you can possibly have. In which case, I hope your car is some bright color because all it’s going to do is get attention.

Dane100 likes this.
  3. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Haha if anyone s looking for novitec cat deletes let me know... :) run few kms...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    How did it sound?

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Before venturing into a cat delete, think long and hard about how you use the car. It will be LOUD! A full Novi is by far the best sounding to my ears. I also like the Capristo. They are a bit different, but about equally loud.

You need to consider the area where you are and how often, and how you use it. If you drive the car often, decat will be for the very few. It is just not practical. Even at idle, it gets a good 12-13 db louder, and that's a lot. That is what you will perceive as more than twice as loud - and that is both closed and open. A full exhaust at cold start is so loud that you would have a hard time standing next to the car and talk. You would have to shout to be heard. All this is before you even touch the throttle. A straight piped 812 going past you at full boot, is deafening. It is fun in a car you only drive on special occassions etc. but for a regular weekend driver or more, you will get tired of it, and so will your neighbours, the local gentry, the fuzz and every dog on your block.

Aside from proper anti-social levels of noise, there's the smell. Over time the cabin will start to get an odour from the exhaust. Decatted cars smell, that's just physics. It is not the sweet pleasant smell of leaded C16 burning in a race engine, it is the pungent smell normally associated with "old car". Just something to consider.

A 100 cell cat will still be obnoxiously loud, but it gets rid of nearly all the smell. Personally I think the 200 cell cat is the ticket. Sounds ace, no smell and the car remains usable.

As far as quality of exhaust goes. Capristo, Novi, Kline and Tubi all seem to be on the same high standard. I would however never buy an IPE. I've seen bot fitment issues and cracking in various models. Not the 812, but from what I can tell, the quality is just not there. On top of that, I think they sound really odd and artificial. No thanks.
    The Tubi is an odd one. Have oly heard one, and it was a bit like an OE exhaust turned up. A bit deeper and a bit less of a scream compared to the others. Not my first choice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Prancing12, Bundy, ROMO and 9 others like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree and I would like to point out that decibels are not a linear measurement of "volume" (its really sound pressure). Its a logarithmic measurement- so 12-13db is many many many times louder (I think its 2x every 3dB- its been while so don't quote me- but the point is it's not just a little louder it is massively louder).

350MH83 likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well kinda:)

It takes twice the electromechanical energy to increase the acoustic energy 3 db. That is however not what the human ear experience as twice as loud. To double the amplitude i.e double the actual db SPL or acoustic energy, you need a 6 db increase. But hold on, we're not done yet:) Increasing the sound to a point the human ear psychoacoustically perceives as twice as loud takes around 10 db.
    But what is interesting is the energy in that increase. It is as you say, not liniear. Going from 50 db to 60 is not a big deal, but going from about 90 which is a stock 812 at cold start to 102, is a lot. Just imagine listening to a rock concert at 110 db and then doubling what you hear - that's a significan increase. My guess is that a decatted 812 is over 125 or maybe even over 130 db @ 1 m WOT. At wide open an increase of 10-15 db, possibly more, is huge. A 12 db increase means twice the acoustic energy in the air and 8 times the power.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Oh small error on the last bit. A 12 db increase does not take 8 times the power, that would be 16 times:)

9. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi, my local parts supplier is currently installing sports cats for 812 SFs fitted with GPF. It involves the removal of the stock cat and the GPF and replaced with a 100 or 200 cell sports cat. I presume the resulting sound is then identical to a pre-GPF car fitted with a sports cat. You also need the Novitec module which cancels the CEL (and I think in this case also tells the ECU not to run the GPF).

Has anyone done the above or looked into it? I'm interested but somewhat nervous. It would obviously invalidate the factory warranty & I don't want engine reliability issues by removing the GPF (which involves regeneration cycles, additional back pressure etc...). Any thoughts?

10. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Just FYI further to above, I spoke to a few knowledgeable people in the UK and they mentioned it should be no issue to replace the GPF. The ECU detects the difference in back pressure and adjusts. I’ll order it and get it done in Jan... will report back

Roof down, blasting along a country road, V12 without GPF..... boom!

Foxmod, Il Co-Pilota and gliazzurri like this.
  11. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I have full Novitec decat on mine. Best sounding road car I've ever heard. It's also deafening loud.

12. pt95

pt95 Rookie

Sep 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    D
    just ordered full novitec exhaust system with sport cats, will share video once complete.

Gianfranco341, Dane100 and ForeverCar like this.
  13. Dane100

Dane100 Rookie

May 21, 2018

14. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    200 cats for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Made a big difference in giving it more of that F1 sound. Isn’t necessarily louder, but has a much better tone

16. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Can you post a video of the exhaust for us? Thank you

17. Dane100

Dane100 Rookie

May 21, 2018
    What brand of X pipe did you use?

18. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Capristo was the one I went with

Dane100 likes this.
  19. turbolou

turbolou Rookie

Jan 24, 2012
    Lake Forest California
    Full Name:
    Lou Czarnota
    Why would anyone want a louder exhaust than the stock system to me it sounds great as is.

20. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    My question is why wouldn’t one?

Bobby_P likes this.
  21. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    pre-GPF? Wholeheartedly agree!!

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Because the car might be something that saw frequent use?

Because you live in an area that makes it impossible not tovruin the lives of those around you?

Because the stench of a decatted car makes it smell like a 40 year old Skoda inside and out?

Because a decatted car can get properly tiring to drive for long periods?

Take your pick

imcarnuts, 350MH83 and ForeverCar like this.
  23. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    #23 gliazzurri, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    I pick none of them. I see you took my comment literally. My point is that asking why one would is no different than why one wouldn’t.

Clearly you would never change the exhaust. Quite a strong comment about ruining the lives of others though no?

the new marketing slogan for Novitec...ruining lives one decibel at a time. It seems like we have a number of malcontents on this forum who don’t value other people then.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm all for changing exhausts. I did get the point of your comment. I just went that way because more pften than not, few question why you wouldn't want it louder, but people always question those who feel that stock is fine.

It is not about ruining lives in general. But if I decatted and installed exhaust without flap regulation on a Lusso I drive every day, start between 6 and 7 am, don't you think that would pose a problem to my surroundings? It would also be a total pain in the ass for me as it would make it impossible to relax.

If you have a show piece that you take out bi-monthly for a cruise and a bit of showing off, by all means. Then it's seldom it's an issue. But I have yet to meet anyone who decatted an F12, 812, FF or Lusso that uses their car often, whom did not install either sport cats or stock cats soon after.

And while I don't care for silly regulations more than the next guy, I think we as owners should take our surroundings into consideration before we straight pipe a car.

And just because I say this, does that not in any way mean that I'm against loud exhausts. There's just a time and place for everything, and thus it is not as simple as why would you or why wouldn't you.

350MH83 likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    And just to reply to that last remark. I'm sure there are people here who don't give a hoot about others. I also know there's a lot who do.

Have you decatted your FF, Lusso, F12 or 812? Do you care about other people around you?