Ballpark cost to reskin driver's seat? | FerrariChat

Ballpark cost to reskin driver's seat?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DrivnXcitment, Nov 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I'm in the process of purchasing an 05 F430 with tan Daytona seats with red piping. The piping is a bit messed up and there is some wear on the leather on the driver's side bolster (as we all know is a common problem). I am in Florida and just curious as to the approximate cost to get the seat redone as I know that flaw will drive me nuts. Thanks so much in advance!!

Yes I also tried the search function but didn't find anything with price for F430s and seat re-covering.

2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    You may be able to just get the booster refinished. A good leather repair guy like the dealers use for a few hundred dollars will go over your interior and repair/respray all the worn and scratched leather.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RANDY6005 and DrivnXcitment like this.
  3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    thats amazing before and after....how did you find someone to do it, and where do you live? I too am in FL, and would love to have my bolster touched up

4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would call some higher-end car dealers (MB, BMW, Aston, Ferrari, etc) and ask who they use to do leather repair. Chances are several dealers near each other will have one or two names that jive between them (as in they use the same individual). That's the one I'd start with, send a photo or two, see what they say. A good one will tell you if it's beyond their capabilities.

cole328 likes this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Repairing leather is only good if you're selling the car in a week. It simply doesn't last, especially on an area prone to abrasion. I had a very nice respray of my bolsters that looked perfect a year ago. Now, it's on the way to being shabby. I should have saved my $400 for a complete recovering of the seats which seems to be about $5k.

So if you want the car to look great sitting in a collection and never driven, a respray repair will be fantastic. If you want to actually sit in the car, you might as well save your money for a proper job.

armedferret and KC360 FL like this.
  6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    My seat is holding up very well, I also had a spot fixed on my steering wheel and it is still perfect. If you're bolster got worn because of how you get in and out of your seat, then even replacing the leather it will wear again no matter what you do. The wear on my car was from the previous owner, I always move my seat back to get in and out and fall into the seat then turn without dragging my trousers on the bolster. I got in this good habit because the GT3 factory racing buckets in my Porsche require it or you'll never get in them.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I've only had any luck with black seats using the old style paste shoe polish to "fill" in the cracks and recolor them. Other than that, with other colors I'm with John (EastMemphis) on this one.

8. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    These seats are tan with red piping. The piping has worn through in one spot and I would want to replace it, assuming it’s not an arm and a leg to fix.

9. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    you have used "shoe polish" on your seats, doesn't the black get on your clothes?

10. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Nick Forza sells Daytona seat covers, that replaces the factory leather. From what I’ve heard it’s very good. Custom made with your spec. It’s 5k for 2 seats. Would probably add another 1k to have a reputable place install the seat covers.

11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    There is D&L auto Upholstery in Jacksonville Fla would probably cost around 300.00 or les he is Fantastic !!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

See photos

See outside

D & L Auto Interiors
    Directions

Save
    Call
    4.615 Google reviews
    Auto upholsterer in Jacksonville, Florida

Address: 1339 Glencoe St, Jacksonville, FL 32211

Hours:
    Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Phone: (904) 744-3311

Hours or services may differ

Suggest an edit · Own this business?

Add missing information
    Add website

12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    This is some of his work he did for me .

14. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Yep very temp.
    Best repair match up new leather and replace the bad section with new . I have done it on some of my 350z cars never can tell it was replaced

armedferret likes this.
  15. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Performify and Maine57S1 like this.
  16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Seat covers? I’d rather have my seats fall apart. Sounds hideous

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

RANDY6005 likes this.
  17. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think he means in the context of recovering the seats. Removing the existing leather cover and installing new ones.

Not a tasmanian devil stretch cover from autozone. ;)

Performify and cole328 like this.
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Ok. Phew

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    well now I want one of those!!!!!

armedferret likes this.
  20. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    No. You buff it just like you would when using it on your shoes. Again, I'm only using it on the cracks that show no color. Very minor, but still, buff it.

21. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Don't forget to look for a furniture repair guy who handles leather upholstery. They are very good at repairing leather seating issues, color matching repairs and they'll always top coat the repair with clear to match sheen and protect the repair. Google for your location then interview them to choose one.

22. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Haha yes.. these replace the seats leather, not a cover thanks for clarifying. Essentially new seats that fit over existing frame and foam.

23. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Exactly. Most folks don't realize that the OEM leather stitched together as a "cover" is termed as, well, a "seat cover" in the industry.

24. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I had severe wear, to the point where I was going to cough up the 20k or whatever it was for replacement seats. But came across bespoke leathering uk dye. First prepped seat by intensive cleaning with brush and leather cleaner, then taped stitching and took square off sponge to very lightly apply dye. Then removed tape and used tiny paintbrush to get between stitches. Took my time and turned out perfect! Went from basically no finish left to looking factory new